Like Marko says, the concentration should be on FRA and making that work for LH. The figures were never outstanding when BMI were operating BRU, BRU isn't a high demand destination like AMS, and SN don't offer the volume of connections that AMS and FRA do.
IF LH also don't return, as they are going through a restructure and BRS is also a new route (with LH as main seller), that would only leave KL/AMS for worldwide connections and EI/DUB for the West.

I think the airline industry recognises that the effects of this virus will take several years to overcome completely. Bristol and the other suspended routes are really victims of the Lufthansa Group's need to reduce its cost base. If they've axed Moscow BRS is in good company. Sheremetyevo is an airport than handles 46 mppa.

Given Lufthansa' general cutbacks there will undoubtedly be reductions in other routes operated by both Brussels Airlines 'mainline' and Lufthansa 'mainline'.

As I've just posted in the BRS CAA stats thread the airport's strong performance in February when many UK airports saw passenger losses, despite the extra leap year day, shows that BRS has a robust overall market with a history of overcoming recession setbacks quicker and with less negative impact than many regional airports, last illustrated in the major recession of the 'noughties'.

The post COVID-19 recession might well be a deeper recession than that and take longer for the world economy to recover but BRS serves a city region with one of the strongest economies in the UK so ought to be able to withstand the worst of another economic downturn better than many areas.

Brussels might not return for a year or two or even longer but, unless another Great Depression of the 1930s returns throughout the 2020s, it will return when the economy strengthens sufficiently, as will Frankfurt. When LH axed its 21 x weekly Bae146/300 Eurowings BRS-FRA service in 2009 at the height of the last recession they said it would return when conditions allowed. They had intended to use their then owned bmi regional but that was sold into private hands and fairly quickly Lufthansa came in with a code share. When bmi regional (by then renamed flybmi) went to the wall, Lufthansa announced their intention of re-starting the route themselves.

To touch on Foxlimayankee's point, the BRS-BRU route was increasing in passenger numbers from 31,000 a year in 2009 to 60,000 in 2017 but then dropped to 55,000 in 2018 before flybmi ceased trading in February 2019. Obviously we don't know the sort of yield it generated but until now, and apart from the gap February-September 2019, the route has been in continuous operation for nigh on 30 years mainly operated by Sabena/Brusssels Airlines or its subsidiaries/franchise partners. There was a time around 20 years ago when it operated 4 x daily with ARJ/Bae146 aircraft.

As I said earlier it will be a major surprise to me if it and FRA don't return at some point, not necessarily next year though.

I suppose cancelling wet lease agreements is a 'quick win' for an airline looking to reduce its cost base in circumstances such as we find ourselves, plus no headache about what to do with 'furloughed' aircraft (the drone footage of all the BA aircraft parked at BOH is scary!).

Obviously thoughts are turning to when & how air travel will return. Although the 'when' is difficult to predict, it's feasible that a lower risk strategy might be to start with point-to-point services between smaller airports such as BRS. Most travellers with an ounce of common sense would avoid major hubs like the...well you know.

The Bristol Post has come with a story that the BRS-BRU route has been cancelled. It was reported in April that it had been suspended until March next year.

Brussels Airlines is restructuring which involves a reduction of its own fleet size from 54 aircraft to 38 aircraft although the BRS-BRU route was one of those operated for Brussels Airlines by a third party carrier.

If it is true then I can’t see Brussels ever returning to be honest. Sad times.

Sad indeed. And there’s little likelihood of anyone else stepping in to offer a point to point service. EasyJet don’t offer much apart from short hops from Brussels.

I'm more optimistic than some about this route. My view hasn't changed from the comment I made on 9 April when the suspension to next March was announced. I said this then.

Brussels might not return for a year or two or even longer but, unless another Great Depression of the 1930s returns throughout the 2020s, it will return when the economy strengthens sufficiently, as will Frankfurt.

• Thanks
Reactions: tpm
The other thing with the BRU route is the amount of pax going to BRU when we are out of Europe completely. Its a unknown number.

The other thing with the BRU route is the amount of pax going to BRU when we are out of Europe completely. Its a unknown number.
I've only used the route once (there and back) and it was some time ago. It was actually when Gary Johnson (the present head coach's father) was managing Bristol City - he and his then assistant Keith Millen were both on the outbound flight. At one of the eateries inside the terminal prior to the flight my wife (who didn't know who they were and wouldn't have worried if she had known) put them in their place for jumping the queue. They were very gracious in apologising saying thay hadn't realised.

I wasn't best pleased at my wife's intervention because I was about to ask them for their autographs for one of our grandsons who was a young lad at the time. They obliged all the same.

Anyway back to the topic, a regular traveller on the route who posts to the Dried Plum said today that most passengers from BRS used the connecting facilities at BRU to fly on somewhere else.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock