It had been done to death but the problem isn't going to go away, nor can it be wished away.

Obviously all diversions or delays are a huge pain.
maybe I am very lucky but the only diversion from Leeds was in the days when the plane unable to land due to the time and we were diverted to Tee side.
Stansted worst u.k. airport me with three failures, failing to make even the airport in both January 2003 and again the following January and having a divert two year before, closed my book on this airport.
I must have made over a thousand flights in/out LBA in the winter months (oct to Mar), never had a divert and the worst delay was sitting on the runway for 5 hours in snow a couple of years ago in March, making it nearly a nine hour sit on the plane.
Worst overall airport in europe for me for delays has to be Linate italy, one December in the 80's closed for 28 morning in a row due to fog, no diverts plane held on the ground in u.k.
Worst for landing the old Kai tak in Hong Kong, once on a cathy flight in the 80's allowed to sit in the cockpit for landing, not sure made the landing any better as the Victoria Harbour rushed in to view.

Re: What services you are using?

My best experience of Leeds Bradford Airport yet. Check-in was excellent, security quick and smooth. The airport wasn't busy but excellent service and very friendly people.Ryanair also very good, left on time and arrived early into Alicante. Coming back I had a 45 minute delay leaving but arrived only 10 minutes late. Steps, Security and Baggage were quick, home within an hour of landing with a 25 minute drive. Overall a really good experience but one negative. The dropping off is £3 with a 200m walk. They should be free drop off and it should be closer to the terminal.

Malaga when the new T3 opened you had to go to a central area to collect the wheelchair service. Now airlines ask on booking in if you need assistance and your seated behind the booking in desk and collected from this point. Outside on arrival there are buttons to press so the wheel chair is brought to your car, taxi etc. Security is a totally seperate area so your under no pressure to rush as no one behind you getting upset.
On arrival at LBA if you dont pre book and on your own not sure any assistance buttons/phones exist in the car park and were limited to the same 30 minuts as other motorists for the £3 charge.
We have never been asked at the booking in desk if we need assistance, some people are shy at asking for assistance, staff at LBA should be more proactive in seeking out those needing help.
Certainly if you arrive at stand 11 etc and need to seek help for this long walk there are no phones etc and the girls on lollipop duty are often too busy on this function to help and there are no seats to sit on, either at the gates or the full walk.
If you use a walking stick you often need to have a break, I wear a heart monitor, when in the red I have to stop and sit down, its just the hard concrete floor on this long walk, not very comfortable and people step over you and seem annoyed your there.
WE had both the escalator and the lift out on an arrival last year, the first girl we asked for help asked if we could manage to walk up the steps, really helpful. We had to sit on the steps, some helpful passenger asked why one of us did not sit on the steps behind, so as not to block most of the stair area. I had to bit my tongue
We were made to feel guilty that we had not prebooked assistance, but for us doing it without assistance is like winning an olympic gold medal, however, in todays world, its all rush, rush, rush.

Just returned from a few days in Krakow flying out Saturday returning Thursday with Ryanair. Booked hold luggage in around 5 minutes and then joined a huge queue for security (5.30am) the longest I have ever seen at LBA. Timed it as 56 minutes from joining the queue to getting through security. All x-ray machines working so no obvious means of speeding up going through, even a queue on the fast track route as people tried to use this methoed to get though. Frequent announcements of passengers on flights to Dublin etc to make themselves known to staff as final calls being made for these flights. Plenty of seats available especially around gate 10 and in other areas as flights being called every 5 minutes free up space.
Both flights full and Ryanair put in to place first 90 and priority only allowed to have cabin cases on board, loading done very quickly.
Krakow airport was a joy compared to leeds, around the same number of x-ray machines but you could decide on the machine you wanted and there was a table at each machine to allow you to load your trays before placing on the rollers. Tables also at the end to unload your trays, something missing at LBA. Trays were fed to you on rollers underneath the belt of the x-ray machine, making it easy to lift the tray and place on the table for packing, you placed your empty tray back on the rollers to send back to the start, no labour required and trays were they are needed.
In the baggage hall each carousel was a complete oval with central feed allowing people to stand round the whole area and buggies, oversized bags ( golf bags) were segregated to other carousels, allowing only cases to exit on the belt.
Huge wonderfully clean toilets in all areas, making the small ones at LBA look minute.
From the ground floor there was the moving wide escalators which you could put your trolley on to take you to security, where you placed your ticket on a bar code reader ( I counted 10, but gave up then) to allow you in to the security area, where you were free to chose the x-ray machine with the smallest queue.
It took us 6 minutes to complete security something impossible at LBA and Krakow expect 450.000 passengers this month, coping with a third more then LBA and the same number of machines.
passports are only checked at the non schengen flight destination gates, saving time.
I hope LBA staff visit this airport it has a lot to offer in new ideas for LBA.

It was nice to read your comparison between KRK and LBA Tarn Spotter. When I worked at LBA a couple of years back I know LBA considered some kind of moving roller system to carry empty trays in security but from what I gather the security area at LBA was too small. I think BRS has recently had some installed, I seem to recall somebody saying it made a big difference to the efficiency and overall experience of passing through security.

05:30 is probably as busy as it gets at LBA. As a passenger it can be somewhat uncomfortable during the busiest periods, especially if it's really warm. The terminal has air conditioning to it struggles to couple with a couple of thousand warm people and If there are any delays it can become unbearable.

When I read uncomplimentary reports about the Leeds Bradford terminal together with the latest plan from Bridgepoint regarding 'enhancements and extensions' a part of me dies. Any attempt to improve the current building is akin to polishing a turd and just delays the inevitable, i. e. build a new terminal, put the old one out if its misery ( and that of anyone else who has to use it) and knock the bugger down. Sometimes I think that Bridgepoint, far from being proactive, are not even reactive. It's too bad.

When I read uncomplimentary reports about the Leeds Bradford terminal together with the latest plan from Bridgepoint regarding 'enhancements and extensions' a part of me dies. Any attempt to improve the current building is akin to polishing a turd and just delays the inevitable, i. e. build a new terminal, put the old one out if its misery ( and that of anyone else who has to use it) and knock the bugger down. Sometimes I think that Bridgepoint, far from being proactive, are not even reactive. It's too bad.
Building a new terminal would probably cost a lot of money and the airports owners may not have the required finances or want the disruption it may cause. Is there part of the airports site that they could build a new terminal without causing massive disruption?

The site of the current long-stay car park would be the least worst. Situated roughly east of stand 9 this could take advantage of the topography. Departures upstairs, level with the apron. Escalators, lifts and stairs down to arrivals. Yes, it would cost money but it has to be done sooner or later and it's not going to get any cheaper. Enhancing and extending the current facilities is spending money that could be put towards new facilities.

Just returned from 10 days on Costa del Sol - Malaga return flight with Jet 2.

Outgoing LBA experience was very busy but efficient (07:00 flight). Jet 2 flight uneventful. No evidence of Jet 2 luggage checker in use.

Flight back - very slick security operation at Malaga. Boarding was row based but poor quality PA message caused confusion. 2 queues for boarding pass check - one with about 5x as many people in as other but desk staff didn't manage balancing the queues very well. Jet 2 luggage checker present but I didn't see it being used. On flight back took nearly 2 hours from take off to get served refreshments (Row 27) - by then most stuff had gone which is unacceptable in my view. Other than that good flight.

Incoming LBA experience spoilt by 30 min wait for border control - usual reasons cited for flights arriving at same time - as if they don't know this is going to happen. To add insult to injury, this contributed to a £9 charge in the short stay car park - partly caused by daughter not waiting until I called as instructed but usually we would have got away with it.

Maybe its time for some bold decisions on making the best of what we have got. Cancel the fast track operation, allowing 4 boarding card readers activated by us not staff. Breakdown the funnel towards the x-ray machines in to at least two queues. I dont know whats behind the exchange kiosk, but this can go, to open up all this space in front, it does not make sense to have a kiosk in an area with high foot traffic.
A simple redesign of the positioning of the passport booths position would allow doubling of the present number, accept may be no staff to man.
The one thing Krakow and recently Budapest showed me you let the customer make his own judgement of the queue he wants to join and you get rid of the system of funnelling everyone in to a queue and having a human at the end directing traffic, LBA passport control a prime example of a completely out of date way of marshalling people.
Whilst we would all love a new terminal there can be issues, T3 at Malaga opened three years ago has just been built as a clone of T1 and T2 and certainly the security area is in the 20th century not the 21st. There are no boarding card readers for passengers to use and no other technical advancement of equipment that has become available in the last 10 years, e.g. roller fed trays, linking tables to the x-ray rollers etc. Krakow and Budapest had around 10 entry points in to security whereas malaga has two, each human manned, yet an area half the size of Malaga.

hi countdacash
my son came thro LBA on friday afternoon on the jet2 flight from BCN and it took him 50mins to clear border-control (not a happy bunny).
did you have a good holliday?
at least no 9hr delay at LBA like we both had some years ago.
regards
sm1

Hi Snowman

He was probably caught up in the same incoming congestion as me. Holiday was fine with thankfully no repeat of a 9 hour delay! Next year September Malaga flight booked with Monarch - that could be a whole different problem................

Countdacash

Countdacash: Moved my Malaga flights from Jet2 due to cabin luggage issues to Monarch for this year and next year.
Week end reports on the financial state of Monarch making me wonder whether this was such a wise decision. Its statement issued at lunch time today does not reassure me at all.
Cant see where the multi million pounds investment the company needs is coming from. They sold the new aircraft based at LBA and replaced with older aircraft. I assume the money from the engineering arm sale is now with the company.
Fingers crossed, glad I have not bought all next years flights, just bought two seperate trips to Malaga with Jet2 in case.

Tarn Spotter - I'm 100% with Monarch next year - Malaga March, September and Palma June. They were much cheaper than Jet2 at the time. Financially I'm covered (used credit card) but until the plug is pulled(if that happens), then I'm not in a position to make contingency plans

Did a day tip from Leeds to Dublin with Ryanair yesterday. Only cost me £4 return so couldn't really turn down an offer like that when I booked it about 3 weeks ago.

The morning FR153 to Dublin was operated by Boeing 737-800WL, EI-DAP, Checked in the night before so went straight to security. Passed through security with ease due to having no checked or hand luggage. Boarded from stand 9 so had to walk onto the aircraft climbing stairs. We departed runway 32 about 5 mins late at 06:35. Landed into Dublin for 07:15 which actually was 10 mins early.

15078645_10206910136422300_3573479149381134515_n.jpg

Coming home on last nights FR156 operated by Boeing 737-800WL, EI-EVP we landed into Leeds using runway 32 again a good 10 mins early at 21:45. Buses and stairs were already on stand awaiting our arrival. After a short wait to load the buses we were transferred over to the Irish arrivals entrance. Had to que a little while up the stair well into Passport Control but again having no bags did'nt have to await around and I was at the 757 bus stop for 22:00.

All in all, LBA experience was pleasant and I passed though in ease. So well done. even though I know its much quieter in the airport now with it been winter.

You said you were five minutes late departing but do you mean airborne or from stand as I think most airlines use the departure from stand time rather than the airborne time?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock