You said you were five minutes late departing but do you mean airborne or from stand as I think most airlines use the departure from stand time rather than the airborne time?

We was due off runway at 06:30 but wasn't airborne until 06:35. landed Dublin at 07:15 which was 10 mins early making to airborne flight time of 40 mins.

A lot of the flooring is being replaced this winter. And perhaps the leak has only just occurred! For H&S reasons it may be necessary to wait until night time to do any repairs necessary. Workmen can't just put step ladders up and climb up into the ceiling in a busy terminal. The HSE would not be pleased. The bucket at least prevents the floor becoming wet and slippery and is the best short term option until it is safe to fix.

We was due off runway at 06:30 but wasn't airborne until 06:35. landed Dublin at 07:15 which was 10 mins early making to airborne flight time of 40 mins.

Airline departure & arrival times are 'gate to gate' and not take off and landing. That's how timings are planned, turn around times are recorded and movement messages between ground staff and operations are logged. Airborne times and touchdown times are not what you see in a timetable. As a rule, airlines calculate 15 minutes allowance from stand to runway when planning. So a 0630 departure time means the aircraft should leave its parking position at 0630 and at an airport like Leeds could easily be taking off 5-10 minutes later.

If an aircraft has it's doors closed and beacons on at it's scheduled time of departure then it is an on time departure, the dispatcher will still record the push back time as the actual departure time (on time or not) and not the moment the aircraft takes off.

When I fly I keep a log and I use take off to landing.

I can remember when we flew to Fuerteventura last year we pushed off gate on time but then sat 30 mins on the apron waiting for the wind to calm down. On time departure?

When I fly I keep a log and I use take off to landing.

I can remember when we flew to Fuerteventura last year we pushed off gate on time but then sat 30 mins on the apron waiting for the wind to calm down. On time departure?

Many people see & record take off time as departure time which is natural but that's not how things work in an operational sense. If that was the case, then the majority of flights would always be "departing" 10-15 minutes late.

The published timetables indicate the time at which the airline wants the aircraft to leave the gate/stand and then arrive at the gate/stand at destination. Factors such as busy airports are factored into the total sector time, for example the LBA-LHR can be done in 35-45 minutes but start up delays, holds and long taxi times can easily add 30+ minutes on to that which is why it is factored into the total journey time.

As for pushing back off stand then not getting airborne for 30 minutes, this happens for a number of reasons. The captain or operator may still want the flight to be recorded as leaving the gate on time, get in a long growing line for take off or just be ready to line up and take off as soon as there is an improvement in the wind strength. Some airlines even class the moment the door closes as the 'dispatch time' - a good example of this is KLM. They mark aircraft as departed once the passenger door is closed but in reality the flight may not commence for 15-20 minutes.

Ground handling agents will send a number of timings to the airline and destination station be means of a movement message. Standard movement message will consist of the time the aircraft left stand, the airborne time and the eta as well as special handling information.

Okay most know last week I was away on holiday in the Gran Canaria after booking a last minute all inclusive holiday curtsey of Jet2holidays.

Outbound LS477 operated by Boeing 737-8MG, G-JZHS = Sunday, February 5th 2017:

Checked in online so only had to do bag drop. Very quite in the departure hall at 6:30am so no queuing involved and bags were gone in no time. On the walk around to security screening I had a little time to check out some of the improvements that have recently been made throughout the terminal building. I got to admit the new clear glass windows and flooring make a missive improvement. The new Boots retail store is also been shop fitted out.
After clearing security without any hassle it was the long walk around to the departure gates via the airside retail/duty free units. The was plenty of seating to be had seen as it's the quite winter period, we decided to sit in the Saltair bar for an hour an half until boarding was called at 8:30.
I had been informed by a friend that works for Jet2 the previous day that we had been allocated Jet2's latest Boeing 737-8MG, G-JZHS which had only been delivered to the airline the weekend before hand and had only operated 4 revenue flights up until this point. So I was pleasantly surprised.
So after going downstairs to gate 6 we noticed that all the ceiling tiles had been removed and taken down so all the venting ducks and wiring could be seen above plus that the Cargo Retail shop was closed. Our aircraft was parked down on stand 11 so we had a short walk down the walkway and had to enter the aircraft using the steps.
Boarding was completed earlier than planned so the doors were shut and we got away with an on time departure lifting off runway 14 at 09:35. Flight time for LS477 was 4 hours 10 mins meaning we landed into Las Palmas 20 mins earlier than planned.

Inbound LS478 Operated by Boeing 737-8MG, G-JZHO = Sunday, February 12th 2017:

Had a great flight home with Jet2.com yesterday afternoon/flying on-board Boeing 737-8MG, G-JZHO from Las Palmas to Leeds/Bradford service LS478. Flight time was 3 hour 50 mins meaning we arrived into LBA 50 mins ahead of schedule as we got some strong tailwind behind us.
I did think we were going to have some problems as a few hours before hand a friend sent me some pictures showing it was snowing at LBA. After we had boarded the aircraft our captain did say before departure from LPA that it was snowing at LBA but would give us an update later into the flight. After 3 hours the captain updated us again (Must have been after picking LBA ATIS) that the Snow had cleared but that visibility had dropped with the wind blowing 25kts from the North East.
Like you do I put 2 and 2 together and thought we might encounter some problems knowing that runway 14 would be use and that Jet2 require RVR 550m to make a CAT1 landing. Now I've got to admit I didn't see anything out of the window whilst sat on seat 21A until we passed the Farmhouse/Cemetery Road at the end of the runway, so I'm taking a wild guess visibility must have been near the limits for them pilots to have got them landing lights.
After landing we were parked onto stand 11 and had to walk down that walkway all way round to boarder security which was the first time I've seen it fully manned (All 6 stations) so the Que was moving fairly quickly meaning we was through into the baggage hall before the bags arrived. Waited 10 mins max for bags to come off and was out the terminal with 30 min of disembarking the aircraft.

So all in all would definitely recommended to all my friends to use Jet2.com, Jet2holidays and Leeds/Bradford Airport.

Last edited:
Our aircraft was parked down on stand 11 so had a short walk down the walkway and had to enter using the steps.
Enjoyed your review of both flights. Can I point out that for many people this walk is a huge distance. On my rehab from heart issues we get our certificate if we can walk 23 yards without assistance and before our stats in the red.
I and many other need a break after 20 yards for a rest to allow our stats to restore, their are no seating arrange ments at all on this route, grab rails etc, either out or back, or on the internal corridors to passport control.
Sitting in a wheelchair is deemed to be extremely unheathy for us, especially when were supposed not to sit down for over 30 minutes at a stretch, getting on a plane is difficult to avoid not to avoid this limit.
Who ever designed this corridor obviously had someone as fit as Lbaspotter in mind, who views it as a short walk, but made it unsuitable for those of us with walking difficulties.

As White Heather has pointed out before do you not think a letter or text to the airport management about issues like these would be a good idea ? Surely they would be sympathetic to your needs and try to resolve the problems especially as you are such a regular traveller through the airport.

It is all about 'reasonable adjustments - and what is considered to be reasonable. LBA provide options for anyone who has difficulty walking but they can't do anything if they are not notified in advance. When complaints are made the answer from LBA is, invariably, we can sort out a solution if we know about the problem. What they cannot do, is build in permanent solutions that meet the requirements of all people with mobility or health problems as their needs are so diverse. The airport are, at this time, advertising a Meet and Greet job, which is specifically to assist those passengers who need assistance - and as I am due to retire soon, I actually considered applying - except I have holidays booked that I don't think the airport would be too happy about. The answer is to let LBA know and given them the opportunity to find a solution that meets the needs of the individual.

I was not having a go about airport shortcomings, only to highlight someones short walk could be, someones elses marathon.

We departed on the 20th March from LBA and had to say was not an easy experience.
My OH requires wheel chair asisitance and we were told departing gate 11, this was interesting as I did not know it existed, and decided to wait for the board to give me the gate, when we had passed through security, we sat by what I thought was gate 8, a call came for the jet2 Barcelona flight to board through gate 3, all of sudden we were surrounded by passengers I looked up to see what was gate 10 now gate 1 etc.
This left me having to go to find where gate 11 was, I wandered downstairs to find the whole area covered in scaffolding and signs for gate 11 towards the old gate 6.
The walk way seemed narrow for a wheel chair access and on enquiry I was told a walk of around 500 metres, unfortunatley no one told me steps half way along, whilst only around 4, no slope had been incorporated.
Once in the portakabin for gate 11 you access on a slope going in the wrong direction for the plane and on a cold wet morning by OH totaly shattered with the man handling, weather etc.
I accept that major alterations are in place, I find it hard to understand that when your installing tempory access walkways, your first priority is to ensure its wheelchair friendly.
Those people drinking in the bars better not leave it untill the last minute to get to these gates, its a good 5 minutes brisk walk, it took us a good 10 minutes with the wheel chair and it is impossible for any one to pass, fortunatley we were at the gate an hour before flight, unfortunately in a basic room with no drinks, food, heating or toilet facilities. Its going to be fun a games at these gates for families with young children and buggies, especially when they find their toilet facilities are 10 minutes against the passenger flow.
Full marks to all LBA staff who could not have been kinder or more helpfull and who had to put on a brave face to cover up some major shortfalls by senior staff, leaving the poor front line staff to deal with us the customers.

Can't speak personally Tarn Spotter but my friend has just return from Tenerife on Monarch and can not praise highly enough the treatment he got at LBA. Like your experience he needed wheelchair assistance, was taken from check-in by a member of staff, taken through security using fast track and then up to a room near to the air bridge where the Monarch aircraft was docked. Prior to general boarding he and three other disabled persons and their other half's were taken by staff on the air bridge and seated in the aircraft before others were allowed to board. Same on return, persons needing assistance were told to remain seated by the Monarch cabin crew while everyone else were discharged, then LBA staff came aboard to took them by wheelchair to immigration control and then down to baggage reclaim. This was the first time he had used wheelchair assistance, booking at the time he booked flights with Monarch (free of charge) and was highly impressed with the efficiency and kindness shown by both LBA and Monarch staff. Perhaps it was a bad day at the office the day you travelled and I know he is writing to the airport and Monarch given the staff justifiable praise.

Airport management have repeatedly stated that they have excellent processes in place for assisting passengers who struggle with mobility, provided they are given the opportunity. That means booking and telling them in advance so they can ensure that there are no problems. This is probably even more important at the moment given the works that are going on. It is inevitable that the scaffolding and narrower walkways, and temporary features will present obstacles, but the airport employ staff specifically to assist. In fact they were advertising recently for such staff and I considered applying myself now I have retired. The prospect of getting up at 2.30 am for a 4am start was enough to put me off, at least for the time being.

Do Monarch use Stand 8 (airbridge) for their early morning departures as DMRogers' friend left from there and I left from there on 20 Mar?

Do Monarch use Stand 8 (airbridge) for their early morning departures as DMRogers' friend left from there and I left from there on 20 Mar?

Yes they tend to do. Airbridge 7 is used by KLM morning departure and then it tends to be monarch on airbridge 8 but on some occasions it can be other airlines, with the exception of Ryanair, every time I've seen them parked on the airbridge stand they tend not to use it preferring to use steps. This could change with Thomson potentially getting the Airbridge over Monarch once there seasonal base opens back up.

I had the dubious pleasure (not!!) of flying into LBA last Thursday for the first time in 8 years. No problems with the stand 7 airbridge...just the fact that they decided to board the Glasgow passengers at the same time as offloading my fellow Heathrow passengers. Total confusion at the bottom of the escalator, with the lass at the bottom (with her back to the wall) saying that Glasgow passengers should go right (which was actually left if you are coming down the escalators or steps).

And so onto the baggage belts. We were put on belt 4, which is in the shed at the front. What a dire, smelly, musty hut. I found it disgusting, so would surely give totally the wrong impression for any one flying into LBA for the first time.

At least there is a real time bus display in the arrivals are now which was very useful.

Home within 15 minutes, pub within 20 minutes. Don't know what the problem is? ;) Hope you had a good time apart from the "standard" performance of LBA.

You were lucky Bigman that your luggage arrived on the advertised belt. Last twice I've been through the belt number was changed once everyone was standing round the wrong belt.

The BA bags pretty much always come out on belt 4. It is a portakabin extension as you mention, but when I was actually in there last week (I usually am carry-on only so don't go in) it wasn't smelly or musty. I would agree though the whole baggage hall could do with being renovated and expanded, it does seem to get quite crowded sometimes.

The loading of passengers on to another domestic flight simultaneously with arriving LHR passengers I have never experienced before, and that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock