Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
[textarea]Excitement grows over potential of Wales’ new air link with Switzerland

The stereotypes might depict it as a land of cheese, chocolate and cuckoo clocks, but Switzerland is increasingly being seen as a crucial trading partner for Wales, as Matt Withers found out

“THE dragons and the knights”. That is what comes to mind when the Swiss think of Wales, according the nation’s ambassador to the UK.

He means it in a good way, as one of the “positive cliches” he says he believes Wales shares with his country. But in truth few Swiss holiday in Wales.

And it is one of the things many hope to change when, at the end of next month, the first regular scheduled flights between the two countries begin to operate.

Helvetic Airways, after lengthy discussions involving the Assembly Government, launches its four-times-a-week flights from Cardiff to Zurich in the hope that they will prove a success for both business and leisure passengers.

Welsh tourism chiefs hope to lure Swiss holidaymakers to Wales for the first time – Visit Wales has taken a keen interest while the managing director of Cardiff Airport said he hoped to see Swiss tourists “spending their money in hotels and bars in Cardiff”. Equally, all sides believe there will be enough interest among Welsh tourists in using Zurich as a gateway to the Alps and northern Italy.

It is also hoped that it will provide a boost for Welsh business. Deputy First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones says: “Clearly the financial and professional services sector is the sector we want to grow within Wales. And obviously a link with Zurich, therefore, is very important in that particular development.”

And there are already major Swiss companies with UK bases in Wales. Air traffic control technology firm Schmid Telecoms UK has its headquarters in Dinas Powys, Vale of Glamorgan. Currently staff based there have to fly via Amsterdam when making frequent trips to Zurich.

“This does enhance the very strong links there are between Wales and Switzerland,” said Mr Jones. “We are very much in Wales, obviously, open for business, fully committing to supporting new enterprises and business growth, and we obviously want to help businesses who want to start up, to expand, in terms of inward investment and, of course, exports.

“Wales is an attractive place to do business and obviously we understand that our links with other parts of Europe and the world are very important to us.

“And Zurich, of course, is far more than just a banking capital. I have visited Zurich on a number of occasions, not because I’m a banker or I’ve got lots of money to invest, but because I think Zurich is a lovely location to visit.”

Visiting the National Assembly this week, Anton Thalmann, the Swiss Ambassador to the UK, told the Western Mail he thought the two nations had “a nice relationship that has grown over time, and I think Switzerland, with its small size is predestined to find its way outside of the big centre of London”.

He said: “We get more attention here and I think that over the coming years now we’ll make a big effort to be more present in the provincial capitals.”

On the average Swiss person’s knowledge of Wales, Mr Thalmann said he thought Wales had “the same advantage of Switzerland, to have quite a few positive clichés associated with it”.

“I mean, when you think of the whole legendary Britain, old Britain, you naturally think of Wales too. And the dragons and the knights and all that, so I think it’s an easy, natural association,” he said.

However, he added, business links between the two nations were still not strong enough.

“There’s a lot of potential for improvement because London does tend to take a big part, and then we have some manufacturing firms with plants in Britain,” he said.

“But I think in that area we still have to make efforts and I wouldn’t say it’s without hope.

“I think the Swiss are pretty big investors in most important markets, so the question is if you can get new ones to come, because the old ones are probably already established somewhere in the rest of the UK, so I would encourage you to work on new firms. I mean, we are pretty good exporters. We are expensive. And if you partnership with people, you probably realise quite quickly where your potential is, and I can only encourage you to do that.”

The ambassador did, though, question whether there would be a huge influx of Swiss holidaymakers as the result of the flights, raising the point that perhaps the two countries were too similar.

“There is maybe the difficulty that, when you go on a vacation, you want to have a complete change of scenery,” he said.

“And between Wales and Switzerland – well, they have a lot in common and you could imagine that you’d go to a more different place for your vacation. But I think that can be overcome because it’s still another language, another culture, it’s a way off from Switzerland and it’s much cheaper. So I wouldn’t exclude it, no.”

The managing director of Cardiff Airport, Patrick Duffy, said a lot of research had been done by the airport, airline and Assembly Government and they were confident there was a long-term market out there.

He said: “We know statistically how many people go from Wales to Switzerland every year. We can extrapolate how many might want to go, and then we have to look at how many might want to come here.

“These sort of transactions are primarily in the interests of the region. The airport is just a part of the supply chain, part of the infrastructure, but fundamentally it’s a regional issue. So what I’m really delighted about is that we can have a triangular discussion with the Welsh Assembly, with the airline concerned and with the airport, to come together to work out a plan.

“Hopefully there’ll be much more communications and fluidity of activities between the Welsh Assembly and counterparts in Switzerland, and hopefully we’ll see more Swiss residents coming to visit here and spending their money in hotels and bars in Cardiff. The historical statistics which led to this conversation in the first place are dominated by the business demands, definitely. So we know from the stats a lot of the travel between Switzerland and Wales is business.

“But based on that we thought there was enough to make a viable connection. And that’s why we presented the case. But beyond that, we think there’s a huge amount of leisure opportunity, which isn’t the case at the moment, or it hasn’t been the case that a lot of people from Wales visit Switzerland or a lot of people from Switzerland visit Wales.

“But that’s a huge opportunity. There’s a huge opportunity for the Swiss government and so on to look at attracting Welsh people over to Switzerland and a huge opportunity for Visit Wales here to get tourists to come here. As well as the business side, ultimately what we’d like to see is Swiss businesses investing in the local economy here. And if they have the connectivity it makes life so much easier.

“The business side says that that’s established demand. And that that business is already happening without a direct route. So that’s a very good starting point. This is where Visit Wales comes in. They can exploit a leisure opportunity inbound into South Wales. But equally the Swiss will be looking for the same the other way.”

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... z1DqF0NGol[/textarea]

• Admin
I would love to see this route become a success story for the Welsh airport. I have my suspicions that the route will just disappear after only a short period. I hope I am proved wrong!

Given CWL's distinct lack of success in persuading more airlines to fly from there and any airline to fly routes that many think ought to feature from such an airport, this carrier and destination was a big surprise when it was announced.

It seems that the majority of the traffic will be outwards so the question remains whether there is sufficient demand in South Wales (much of Mid Wales and all of North Wales are much nearer BHX and MAN/LPL respectively), both leisure and business, to support the route.

The level of fares will play a part, especially for the leisure travellers, as will advertising of which there has apparently been more in South Wales than is often the case with services from CWL.

They ought to take a tip from the likes of easyJet and Ryanair who advertise heavily in South Wales for their Bristol services. BRS hasn't had a Zurich route since BAConnect pulled out in 2007 on being bought by Flybe. I haven't seen or heard any advertising in the West Country for the CWL Helvetic route. CWL may need help from outside its core catchment area if the route is to succeed.

• Admin
I was thinking along the same lines. They will have to attract a fair number of passengers from outside the airports traditional catchment area if the route is to work.

From what I understand from another forum, it seems that the Welsh Assembly is "....intending to capitalise on this announcement by promoting Wales as a business and holiday destination and have offered financial assistance to help promote the service in both Wales and Switzerland." Hopefully if this does go ahead with promotion on both sides then there's a good chance it will make it through the first year

Hello E m (if I type E and m together it comes out as 'them' for some reason). Good to hear from you again.

I think everyone hopes it does succeed because CWL is in need of a bit of a boost. If the Zurich route goes well it might encourage other airlines to try something because if ZRH is a winner there are other destinations not currently served that have even more potential.

Helvetic route between Cardiff and Zurich

The first inbound and outbound flights took place at CWL today. The route will operate 4 x weekly throughout the summer on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.

I haven't been able to find out how many passengers were flown today or any indication as to the state of forward bookings.

• Admin
No blazing ceremony then? It's a shame we don't have any Cardiff regulars who can fill us in. (they don't seem to venture away from the fraternity site)

No, apart from Em0866, the former CWL regulars don't seem to even visit this site very often these days.

I did look at the fraternity site as you put it (rather an apt description) but, apart from a news report link which in itself didn't say that much, there is surprisingly little comment on the start of the new service.

TheLocalYokel said:
No, apart from Em0866, the former CWL regulars don't seem to even visit this site very often these days.

I did look at the fraternity site as you put it (rather an apt description) but, apart from a news report link which in itself didn't say that much, there is surprisingly little comment on the start of the new service.

I thought maybe a nudge might bring them out of their shell to come and talk to us. :smile:

Anyway good on them for picking up the route, subsidised or not.

Anyway good on them for picking up the route, subsidised or not.
The 'subsidy' is in the form of help with advertising by the Wales Assembly Government.

The route stands a decent chance of being a success, though this time of year (apart from Easter) leisure travellers might not be so thick on the ground. However, when the holiday season is in full swing it ought to be very popular.

As for our fraternal Celtic members, I did wonder whether some might be tempted back here because the Dried Plum closed their Cardiff thread for several weeks, though I notice it has been re-opened in recent days.

The reason that the fraternity site has not been discussing how the new Helvetic Zurich flight has been faring may be because the site appears to be in dispute with CWL about releasing passenger figures that have not been officially made public.

Someone posted earlier this evening that only nine passengers flew today though it was not made clear if this was the inbound or outbound flight, and the source was not given.

That post has now been removed and replaced by a notice from a site official to the effect that they cannot allow such information on their site because of an ongoing dispute with the airport.

This seems unbelievable in a democracy.

It cannot be privileged information because anyone flying on the service can easily count the number of passengers if they so desire and tell the world and his wife if they so choose. I've never been aware that it is part of a contract with an airline that a passenger must not reveal the load on their flight. Furthermore, many members of the public at airports are often in a position to count the number of passengers boarding or exiting a flight if they are geeky enough to want to bother - I admit to having done this on occasions :sad: .

I hope the reason the airport is being so coy is not because the route is failing to attract a reasonable number of passengers. When things are kept 'secret' speculation inevitably mounts.

The notice about not publishing unofficial CWL passenger numbers has now been removed from the 'fraternity' site but the 'offending' post alleging nine passengers has not been reinstated.

I'm sure that if flights were going out full or near full the airport and airline would be telling us. I hope if it is experiencing a slow start that's all it is and that as momentum picks up so will loads. They seem to be marketing the route well for once because poor marketing has been an ongoing complaint about routes from CWL by many interested in the fortunes of Welsh aviation, so this route is being given every chance.

I have the feeling that if they stick with it they will be rewarded in the end though it might turn out to be seasonal - perhaps end of March to end of October.

As Humberside says, let's wait for the CAA stats though we shall have to await April's as there were only two rotations in March which will be pretty meaningless in the overall picture.

Addendum

Another poster began a new thread on the 'fraternity' site over the weekend asking about loads on the Helvetic service but that thread has now been removed from the site.

Very strange!

Well we only have to wait til 14th April and then we will have the CAA statisitics, so no-one can hide anything then! Lets hope that the figures are good, and the route continues! It would a shame to fail at this early stage!

CAA stats show Helvetic carried 85 passengers in March on two return trips (30th and 31st) on the Cardiff-Zurich route.

The average of 21.25 passengers per flight is obviously disappointing but in such a small sample the figures have to be treated with caution.

It's to be hoped that loads increase substantially as the service gains momentum and that things improve as the summer gets under way.

I wonder what the minimum target is for the season.

April was even worse according to CAA stats.

531 passengers were carried between CWL and ZRH and, if all rotations were operated ( 4 x weekly on Mon, Wed, Thurs and Fri), the average load was 15.6 - on a 100-seater aircraft.

Shocking!! :shok:

It just goes to show, funding this route is a complete waste of taxpayers money, beit for advertising or otherwise.

I wouldn't mind knowing how many passengers Helvetic Airways needs to break even. With passengers loads as low as that, I can't even see them lasting until the end of their published flying programme.

It's disappointing especially as April was a pretty good month for many airports and routes, even forgetting the comparison with the ash-affected April 2010.

With two 'long weekend' bank holidays in the month encompassing a long break for many, and late Easters are usually productive for airlines in this country, it could reasonably be expected that the route, even a new route, would have done better.

Perhaps forward bookings for the summer are better - who knows outside the airline? - because if things don't improve significantly pretty soon I agree that the route will be in grave danger.

May's figures on this route don't make good reading I am sorry to say!

If the full 4 x weekly schedule was operated I think there was a possible 34 flights in May for which a mere 597 passengers were carried, which gives a load factor of approx 17.55 passengers on a 100 seat aircraft.

I would really like this route to succeed for Cardiff but I can't see it with figures this low.

alphagolf

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock