Play now have flights loaded for September and October 2023. They do not operate in mod summer.

Not June July or Aug.

Think the football season has something to-do with it
A percentage of expected passenger numbers will be heading to Iceland to hopefully see the Northern Lights. They won't see a great deal in those months. I'm sure there will be a number of other reasons too.

A percentage of expected passenger numbers will be heading to Iceland to hopefully see the Northern Lights. They won't see a great deal in those months. I'm sure there will be a number of other reasons too.
Quite , and the point is they have added flights beyond May, which is a good sign they are happy.

Extra flights in May 23 , and schedules until Nov 23 ( Lpl Twitter )

PLAY is now on sale from Liverpool for September, October and November 2023 - and they've also added additional departures in May - perfect for half-term!

If you fancy a break in Iceland or the US later next year, you can now book your flights here 👉 https://ljla.uk/3BEkR5b
12:37 PM · Nov 10, 2022
·Sprout Social
Retweet
Quote Tweet
I was at a meeting yesterday evening, apparently Play are happy with the way the route is going and loads are doing well. They would look at increasing the frequency but their fleet doesn't allow that presently , however there could well be some extra services around the period Eurovision is on. US transfer traffic is about 20 %

Silvercity that really doesn’t stack up with load factors quoted by another ( Scottie Dog someone adept with statics ) of

Keflavik
Seats Available - 2,784
Passengers - 1,863
Load Factor - 66.92% for last month

These simply aren’t good enough for the type of flexible fares carrier business model that is PLAY.
A company continues to record a loss across their relatively small operation ( after tax and write downs)

Quotes from the CEO at a recent financial event

The carrier's net loss for the quarter stood at $2.9 million, a 74% improvement from Q3 2021. PLAY adds it is in a "strong" financial position with cash and cash equivalents of $29.6 million, including restricted cash, and an equity ratio of 12.1%.

"General demand from passengers coming to Iceland was lower than anticipated in late summer and fall due to, amongst other factors, the status of the Icelandic tourism industry, which was at maximum capacity with hotel and rental cars fully booked. This resulted in more connecting passengers (VIA) than were expected which deliver less unit revenue than direct passengers (to Iceland)."
My words This is interesting through not unexpected connections aren’t making them much if any money

PLAY stated that ancillary revenue was lower than expected as passengers avoided paying for checked baggage due to ongoing disruption across European airports, while fuel prices remained high.
My words weak sales of ancillaries suggests fare bundles unbalanced

CEO Jónsson added,

"We are not satisfied with the financial performance of the company this year.

We do, however, see many positive signs in our business, and we fully anticipate seeing a positive operational profit in 2023 as our revenue base matures and we become more established in our operation and markets."
My words Market calming measure ( investors are unsettled )

Basically they have just about sufficient operation resources and a reasonable buffer right now however far from enough to actually expand and lease any further aircraft at a competitive rate anytime soon

Group load factors were 81.9 % well below where they need to be .

That was the first month of operation however, so a lower load could be forgiven. If they stay at this level, however, then there may be problems
Reading and decoding the language in their statement above, the potential and foundation for deeper structural problems in the business already exist.

It wouldn‘t take much to further seriously unsettle those investors (Further energy spikes, recession in prime markets and currency volatility for instance )

If the footfall doesn’t approach 90% across the business with positive cash flows those cash reserves ( reported) will begin to be consumed quite rapidly and more especially with fuel costs right now - Summer 2023 is crucial in that respect and they may be on a sticky wicket ( as per previous WOW incarnation ) before they know it.

They are far from a fundamentally sound business right now and the CEO knows it well enough.

Evidentially the business model for “cheap” trans Atlantic services of this nature is shaky at best - Few if any significant successes exist within the historical timeline other than the Icelandic national carrier itself starting with Loftleidir and CL44s from and to Luxembourg and London and onto New York .

Fact is the major carriers such BA/AA are more than able willing and indeed routinely dump large amounts of excess economy seats from their near shuttle services ( to NYC) at below cost onto the consolidators and effective price these operations into the ground.
Post automatically merged:

Silvercity/ greenfinch/ BoacVc10 can I ask that you stop providing unsolicited links (adverts) here and elsewhere it contravenes almost all these forum rules indeed its potential breeches consumer protections as well.

Report the story sure provide links to booking engines however is a no no !

Last edited:
Silvercity/ greenfinch/ BoacVc10 can I ask that you stop providing unsolicited links (adverts) here and elsewhere it contravenes almost all these forum rules indeed its potential breeches consumer protections as well.
If you have any issues, regarding links posted by members, can you please use the 'Report' option. Then, Staff/Moderators can take the appropriate action, if any is needed.

That was the first month of operation however, so a lower load could be forgiven. If they stay at this level, however, then there may be problems

Play are now bookable LPL -KEF - US through to December 2023. I would suggest they are reasonably happy with progress of the route to have schedules available a year ahead. October's LF was 74%. For a new route and new destination, I think that's not bad at all.

This has already been noted by another moderator in post #35.

Can we please return to our normal 'friendly' service.

Thank you.

All flights cancelled at KEF. Weather must be pretty bad there, as i'm sure they are used to bad operating conditions.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock