Many thanks.

Santa-type flights

Some are operating - I don't what proportion of pre-pandemic numbers will be involved this season. From memory there were usually around 15- 20 in past seasons.

Thus far there seems to have been five:

Enontekio - Enter Air: Friday 26 November
Ivalo - Titan: Tuesday 30 November
Rovaniemi - TUI: today
Kittila - TUI: today
Kittila - easyJet: today

I don't know if this is the full list so far - I don't check the departures every day.

Santa-type flights

Some are operating - I don't what proportion of pre-pandemic numbers will be involved this season. From memory there were usually around 15- 20 in past seasons.

Thus far there seems to have been five:

Enontekio - Enter Air: Friday 26 November
Ivalo - Titan: Tuesday 30 November
Rovaniemi - TUI: today
Kittila - TUI: today
Kittila - easyJet: today

I don't know if this is the full list so far - I don't check the departures every day.
Sunday 5 December 2021

3 Kittila departures today (TUI, Jet2 and easyJet) plus a TUI to Rovaniemi amongst the 54 airline departures.

Wednesday 8 December 2021

Three more Santa-type departures today:

Rovaniemi - TUI
Kittila - TUI
Kittila - easyJet

In addition there was a Titan departure to Ivalo yesterday.

The daily airline departure rate from August to October this year (in the range 55-75 per day) took a marked reduction in November but, as expected, with the Santa and ski season fights beginning December saw an increase over November (so far), albeit December was still down significantly on recent pre-pandemic Decembers.

The last week has seen the following daily airline departure numbers:
Sunday 60
Monday 57
Tuesday 45
Wednesday 45
Thursday 54
Friday 69
Saturday 48 plus two rugby charters to Paris CDG and La Rochelle that were cancelled because the matches were postponed

However, 8 of the planned 48 departures were cancelled today, viz:

easyJet: 7 Geneva (x2), Amsterdam, Nice, Salzburg, Tenerife South, Funchal
KLM: Amsterdam

Last evening 15 arrivals diverted to other airports because of adverse weather so it's not clear whether today's cancellations were because some aircraft were out of place or if the the increasing Covid infection rate played its part in respect of some destinations.

Although easyJet cancelled two Geneva departures, two other departures by that airline to Geneva operated, as did a second easyJet departure to Amsterdam. KLM also operated two other departures to Amsterdam (the aircraft for the cancelled morning departure had been diverted to Cardiff the previous evening).

Other airlines (Ryanair and Jet2) operated to Tenerife South and there were four departures to other Canary Island airports including two by easyJet.

Although Nice was cancelled by easyJet the same airline flew two departures to Grenoble (in addition Ryanair flew one), one to Lyon and one to Paris Orly despite the French Government's restrictions on people entering their country from the UK.

Tomorrow there are over 60 departures currently shown and so far none is showing a cancellation although it seems likely that increasing government Covid restrictions around Europe will reduce passenger demand significantly on some routes. Therefore some cancellations in the coming days might be anticipated.

Flights to Lapland

The number of Santa-type flights this year doesn't seem to be much different from the programme in recent pre-pandemic years.

The first departure that I found was on 26 November and from then until today the following departures were listed on the boards.

Kittila 16 (TUI 8, easyJet 5, Jet2 3)
Rovaniemi 5 (TUI 5)
Enontekio 3 (Enter Air 3)
Ivalo 3 (Titan 3)

Total 27

Some severe winter cuts happening over the next few weeks or so. Both FR and EZY have had mass cancellations across their entire BRS network from the end of this week onwards; guessing the Omicron variant has hit bookings hard in what is already a quiet time of year.

Not sure how it's affecting TUI and LS, but it sure doesn't bode well when both these carriers often operate routes to the same destination on the same days of the week...

Let's hope the removal of testing requirements is imminent to put at least some confidence back in travel!

Some severe winter cuts happening over the next few weeks or so. Both FR and EZY have had mass cancellations across their entire BRS network from the end of this week onwards; guessing the Omicron variant has hit bookings hard in what is already a quiet time of year.

Not sure how it's affecting TUI and LS, but it sure doesn't bode well when both these carriers often operate routes to the same destination on the same days of the week...

Let's hope the removal of testing requirements is imminent to put at least some confidence back in travel!
Ryanair has certainly been affected badly. This morning I was compiling a list of axed and reduced fights in order to post in the BRS Ryanair thread which I'm now about to do.

I've not looked at easyJet in detail. A random check today suggests some frequency reductions and the axe on some other routes until February. If I have time to look at easyJet in detail I'll post their new offerings in that thread. easyJet had already delayed the resumption of some routes until early spring.

As has been the case for the past two years the timetables for all airlines seem subject to constant change because of the pandemic.

My wife and I are still reluctant to book anything, not because of the pandemic itself but because of the uncertainty of government action in so many countries. I suspect that we are not alone in this.

Two Rugby European Champions Cup charters this weekend.

Logan Air E145 from/to Paris Le Bourget*. The inbound arrived this morning and the return is due to operate late this evening. It's for the Bristol Bears v Stade Francais match this evening. * FR24 is showing the return flight operating to CDG.

Jet2 to/from La Rochelle with the return to France late this evening re La Rochelle v Bath. The outbound operated yesterday.

On Wednesday 19th Jan I am totally flabbergasted that the first international arrival for the day is at 16.55 pm. Given that the airport has had regular flights all through Jan 22 approx 30 flights a day, this comes as a shock.

On Wednesday 19th Jan I am totally flabbergasted that the first international arrival for the day is at 16.55 pm. Given that the airport has had regular flights all through Jan 22 approx 30 flights a day, this comes as a shock.
Whilst it’s disappointing, I’m glad there’s still flights operating. Unlike this time last there was barely anything.

Not long until February where airlines tend to increase flights for half term so hopefully then there will be more to see.

At least Bristol has flights for that day Cardiff has none.

From 10 January a host of fights were dropped that are due to resume in the first week of February. Ryanair for example has reduced the number of its BRS flights by around 60% during this period. That reduction is broadly the same percentage figure at such Ryanair airports as Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Luton. easyJet has also taken out a considerable number of flights for much of January.

In the last few months of 2021 the daily departure total was mostly in the range 45-70. This persisted until early January.

This month the number of daily departures from 2 January (I didn't check 1 January at the time) is as follows. I have not counted one-off charter flights and only counted those flights that actually operated (vide the airport website and FR24).

66, 64, 41, 42, 49, 58, 45, 53, 35, 20, 18, 24, 31, 33, 34, 30, with tomorrow anticipating 22

I have shown 10 January in bold after which the reduction is clear to see, albeit in the days before that the departure numbers were already beginning to reduce compared with what had gone before.

BRS passenger numbers over the second half of last year compare well with many airports. In October for example (BRS is one of a handful of airports yet to have its November figures published by the CAA) it handled 446,000 passengers which was 57% of the last pre-pandemic October figure in 2019. Last October wasn't a great deal less than BHX's 502,000. Usually the gap is larger than that - in 2019 BHX handled 12.65 million passengers against BRS's 8.96 million.

Peer airports to BRS handled these passenger totals last October: Glasgow 386,000, Belfast Int 371,000, Newcastle 224,000, Liverpool, 217,000, East Midlands 213,000, Leeds-Bradford 177,000.

I suspect that when January 2022's passenger figures are published BRS, although well down in passenger numbers on recent months, will still see its performance holding up compared to many airports that themselves will have seen reduced services.

BRS does fare much less successfully when it comes to cargo. Several of these peer airports plus some smaller ones passenger-wise such as Doncaster-Sheffield and Bournemouth have done far better with their cargo services during the pandemic.

Air Nostrum CRJ200 arrived from Perpignan at 1034 this morning. It's due to return to Perpignan at 2230 this evening. It will be carrying the Perpignan rugby party for the club's European Championship game against Gloucester at Kingsholm at teatime.

I was travelling on the A4 Bath Air Decker to Lulsgate Bottom this morning and saw an RAF A400M Atlas on approach to BRS. After I had alighted from the bus I had time to spare for my connection and had a fairly close-up view of the 400M on its next approach.

I was 200 yards away and the aircraft conducted a normal approach to 27 before putting on the power to fly off for the next approach. I would guess no more than 200 feet above the ground. The noise was tremendous. I hope some of the nimbys living nearby enjoyed it. Because of the angle looking uphill south along the A38 from Lulsgate Bottom it always looks as if any landing aircraft has misjudged things and is about the come down on the road.

On a different matter, I note that Jet2 are flying to Rome at 0715 tomorrow complementing the easyJet lunchtime flight to Rome. I presume the Jet2 flight is in connection with the Italy v England Six Nations match in Rome on Sunday.

Friday 18 March 2022

Traffic numbers building gradually and still in winter season. There were 69 departures today:

easyJet 37, Ryanair 19, KLM 3, TUI 2, Jet2 2, Aer Lingus 1, Eurowings 1, Lufthansa 1, Auriigny 1, Loganair 1, Blue Islands 1.

This morning Marko posted in the TUI and Jet2 threads that both airlines currently show six based aircraft operating at BRS* for the main part of the coming summer: Jet2 6 x B738, TUI 5 x B737 (reportedly all MAX) and 1 x B788.

* apart from Tuesdays when Jet2 shows four aircraft and Tuesday mornings when TUI shows four 737s (plus the 788).

As things stand then the airport based unit complement will be as follows:

easyJet 17
TUI 6
Jet2 6
Ryanair 4
Total 33

In addition easyJet will operate the equivalent of 2 based aircraft from the 'away' end of routes with Ryanair doing the same with the equivalent of more than 2 based units all of which will obviously assist with mitigating peak time flows.

KLM also usually night stops.

Sunday 27 March 2022

First day of the summer season today with 75 airline departures. Checking an old Mayfly there were just over 90 at the same time in 2018 (I don't have the 2019 numbers) although in 2018 there were significantly more turbo-props: bmi regional, several Aer Lingus Regional as well as Blue Island and Aurigny.

Peak summer in 2019 saw broadly around 110 daily airline departures.

Today's departures:

easyJet (45): Amsterdam (x 3), Glasgow (x 3), Newcastle (x 3), Malaga (x 2), Faro (x 2), Palma (x 2), Belfast Int ( x 2), Edinburgh (x 2) Gibraltar, Bodrum, Split, Murcia, Tenerife South, Rhodes, Milan Malpensa, Pisa, Alicante, Lisbon, Krakow, Bilbao, Berlin, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Basel, Inverness, Antalya, Paris Orly, Athens, Rome Fiumicino, Madrid, Prague, Geneva, Barcelona, Paris CDG

Ryanair (15): Dublin (x 2), Alicante (x 2), Tenerife South, Palma, Wroclaw, Milan Malpensa, Vienna, Treviso, Girona, Knock, Riga, Malaga, Barcelona

TUI (4): Turin, Malaga, Arrecife, Tenerife South

Jet2 (3): Faro, Tenerife South, Arrecife

KLM (3): Amsterdam (x 3)

Lufthansa (1): Frankfurt

Aer Lingus (1): Dublin

Aurigny (1): Guernsey

Blue Islands (1): Jersey

Loganair (1): Aberdeen

Total 75

Notes:

6 Amsterdam departures, 3 each by KLM and easyJet

79 departures shown for tomorrow (Monday 28 March 2022)

I know TLY used to be keen to keep members updated on movements at BRS. I thought with his recent unfortunate decision to retire from the forum I would post this information. May 1st is basically the start of summer starting to kick in at most airports.
BRS departures increase over the next week or so and are as follows.

Today 88
Tomorrow 99
Tuesday 87
Wednesday 87
Thursday 92
Friday 97
Saturday 87
Sunday 93

Monday 9th May will see over 100 departures and also the TUI based units will consist of 5x 7M8s and a 788.
Onwards and upwards!

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock