Hopefully once their fleet modernisation and upgrade is done Cardiff might see an increase in frequency on the Edinburgh route

Edinburgh for August 2023 saw 1948 use the route. The route is 6 weekly on 49 seat aircraft but hopefully going up to a 72 seater aircraft in 2024. In August 2019 Edinburgh saw 11,451 passengers. Edinburgh had 17 weekly departures on an 88 seat aircraft in 2019. It would be nice eventually if Edinburgh as a route could get back to at least 12 weekly departures a week but i suspect it might be a big challenge for the airport to Loganair to do that.

I don't see Glasgow ever coming back but in August 2019 the route saw 3194 passengers use the route with 5 weekly departures on an 88 seat aircraft.
In total in August 2019 14,645 travelled to and from Scotland from Cardiff Airport.

I've been looking at Loganair prices for the summer and it does look like the base fare is now £54.99 which i'm pretty sure is lower than last summer. Obviously their never going to compete with Easyjet but hopefully the lower price makes them more a better option for many people and we see full and profitable flights through the summer. Edinburgh is a route the airport needs to get back to closer to it's pre pandemic levels and the extra movements helps with the perception of a busy airport.

I've been looking at Loganair prices for the summer and it does look like the base fare is now £54.99 which i'm pretty sure is lower than last summer. Obviously their never going to compete with Easyjet but hopefully the lower price makes them more a better option for many people and we see full and profitable flights through the summer. Edinburgh is a route the airport needs to get back to closer to it's pre pandemic levels and the extra movements helps with the perception of a busy airport.
Given the popularity of this route pre-pandemic I’m wondering why Logan air haven’t committed to 2 flights a day. Is it a resource issue such as lack of aircraft?

Given the popularity of this route pre-pandemic I’m wondering why Logan air haven’t committed to 2 flights a day. Is it a resource issue such as lack of aircraft?
Probably a mixture of lack of resources, not seeing the route as a priority and other routes being more profitable.

I'm surprised that Loganair has not tried Glasgow from CWL, I know the route is not as busy as EDI, but I know many people who would certainly use a Glasgow service, who currently use BRS. Exeter have a regular Glasgow service with Loganair, from a much smaller population catchment area.

I'm surprised that Loganair has not tried Glasgow from CWL, I know the route is not as busy as EDI, but I know many people who would certainly use a Glasgow service, who currently use BRS. Exeter have a regular Glasgow service with Loganair, from a much smaller population catchment area.

I'm going back here, but Manx Airlines at one time operated CWL - LPL - GLA. Still would be useful given the roads and rail.are worse now.

I think it was tried by Loganair, but we were still in pandemic-ish times. Local lockdowns and the like. It think it would do ok now given the chance.

I was on the first flight from Cardiff. Unfortunately the pandemic has killed it and I generally don't see Glasgow returning sadly.

A while back the MD publicly said they were not interested in CWL-EDI as it wasn't seen as profitable, even if the passenger numbers stacked up. A year or so later they launched EDI. So it may be that CWL eventually managed to convince them to try it and it seems to be doing OK.
Also note that Loganair are an incredibly cautious Airline which is why they have been so successful, they also took the opportunities made to them when Flybe went bust by cherry picking the best routes but also had to expand to be able to do that, and they are also going through a level of fleet replacement.

A while back the MD publicly said they were not interested in CWL-EDI as it wasn't seen as profitable, even if the passenger numbers stacked up. A year or so later they launched EDI. So it may be that CWL eventually managed to convince them to try it and it seems to be doing OK.
Also note that Loganair are an incredibly cautious Airline which is why they have been so successful, they also took the opportunities made to them when Flybe went bust by cherry picking the best routes but also had to expand to be able to do that, and they are also going through a level of fleet replacement.
I think as well we probably may need to remember that they're a Scottish airline so they're focus is probably going to be more on where Scots travel and I wonder if the market is more Welsh people travelling to Scotland than the other way around and easyjet dominates that at Bristol.

Disappointing news if true - having checked today, Loganair look to have dropped their Monday and Wednesday flights to EDI for the summer period. It only seems to be high season (at the time of checking) so could be a glitch.

Disappointing news if true - having checked today, Loganair look to have dropped their Monday and Wednesday flights to EDI for the summer period. It only seems to be high season (at the time of checking) so could be a glitch.
It looks like it'll be 5 weekly in April with the Wednesday flight cut (except 10/4/24), it goes back to 6 weekly for the first 2 weeks in May then down to 5 weekly with the cut of the Monday flight, then down to 4 weekly for June and July and the first 2 weeks of August. It then goes to 5 weekly for the rest of August, September and October. It then goes 6 weekly in November and December and down to 4 weekly for January and February 2025 and back to 6 weekly for March 2025.

Edinburgh just doesn't seem to be a route that is recovering and it makes me think it might never will.

In 2019 the route saw 110,391 scheduled passenger and in 2023 it saw 19,848. The route is a shadow of it's former self and just doesn't seem to look like it's going to recover anytime soon.

Last edited:
FlyBE operated the route in 2019, with up to 3 services a day at reasonable prices. Loganair have also cut back their services to Exeter. They just cannot compete with Easyjet at BRS. I would have thought they would have expanded their services at CWL this summer. are the remaining services still to be operated by ATR 72's or has that gone by the board as well. I think Loganair may have overstretched themselves, and may also be suffering with crew shortages.

FlyBE operated the route in 2019, with up to 3 services a day at reasonable prices. Loganair have also cut back their services to Exeter. They just cannot compete with Easyjet at BRS. I would have thought they would have expanded their services at CWL this summer. are the remaining services still to be operated by ATR 72's or has that gone by the board as well. I think Loganair may have overstretched themselves, and may also be suffering with crew shortages.
It looks like in August Sunday and Friday flights are ATR72 and Tuesday and Thursday flights are ERJ145s. It is really disappointing.

The base price is no longer £55 so I would assume it’s the 145. When the ATR 72 was advertised the base ticket costs were lower. I think there is demand there, it just needs the right times to appease to business users. I know of plenty that fly to EDI from Bristol purely because of timing and price. I don’t think that will happen with Loganair and unfortunately there aren’t many airlines left who could fill the gap.

The only airlines left for regional flights are Eastern, and the British registered Aer Lingus subsidiary, CWL would find it very difficult to bring them to CWL to operate Edinburgh, although there is no doubt there is a market for the route.

Ryanair do operate an Edinburgh to Bournemouth route. I wonder if there’s an appetite for them to also launch a CWL route in future. I think pax numbers would need to be greater with Loganair first and filling a Boeing 737 on a regular basis wouldn’t be an easy task.

The demand is certainly there, but it's the times and price that's affecting it. Flybe have proven the potential is there by operating up to 3 daily flights. The issue is where CWL comes in Loganairs priorities vs other routes, which as a domestic carrier are probably all calling for double daily morning and evening flights.
What is ideally needed is the ATR72 on a morning and afternoon or evening flight to really show what is capable. The ERJ's are getting too expensive to run.
There's 3 new ATR72's due soon, and it seems to be the way Loganair are heading. They've always been a cautious airline which is why they're a success compared to others but hopefully in the future we'll see better things from them.

The times have changed as well. They've shifted from mid afternoon to late evening. Hopefully those times will be more attractive.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock