• Admin
alcohol-alcoholic-beverage-bar-602750.jpg
Primarily a Friday and Saturday night thread for people to discuss their favourite tipples. Their latest Gin or Whisky collection or maybe the local ale.

Popped into the local shop earlier, and saw that they had 4 packs of 1 Pint Budweiser. (the US stuff) Having been reading about beers (which I posted about in the 'What are you reading now?' -

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Beer by Roger Protz - 1995

This was bought for my 32nd birthday by my Parents (it's signed in the front), but other than looking up various beers, I've not got around to reading it until now. It's utterly fascinating. I had no idea, how much more complex brewing was compared to wine making. Every aspect of the ingredients is critical to the type of beer you want to produce. For instance, soft water and cold fermentation is essential for Lagers, while hard water and warm fermentation is required for Ales. Not to mention yeast type, malting and how much hops to add.) Then, there are a whole range of beers in-between, from dark Lagers (dunkel beer), via Pale Ales to Porters and Stouts.
By comparison, the book states that the grape contains everything required to make wine - yeast, juice and sugars. They just need to be pressed and then left alone to ferment.
Beer (of some variety or another), is also the oldest known fermented drink and can be traced back to 3000BC.
I thought I would give it a go - OH DEAR!!! It has the strangest smell and taste. Almost like an artificial peach (in the same way that artificial banana flavour tastes weird). 'The King of Beers'? Definitely not!
Incidently, the book I refer to above, states that the Czech Budweiser (the 'good Bud', as I now think of it), was served to Royalty and had the slogan 'The Beer of Kings'.

Stone's Green Ginger Wine

A few days ago, a man in front of me in the local shop bought a bottle of this. When my parents were alive, we always had a bottle at Christmas. In fact it wasn't Christmas until I'd had a glass. So I decided to treat myself to a bottle. It's quite sweet (but, I have a sweet tooth) and is very warming due to the ginger. Great for cold nights like these.

I must admit that I've never heard of ginger wine although it was not unknown for our house to have a ginger beer at Christmas when I was younger.

Bottle of Malbec for me tonight, maybe a shot of The Aardmore just before bed.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock