This article is saying that Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland will be joint hosts, and not Wales only.

This article is saying that Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland will be joint hosts, and not Wales only.
Yes Wales is one of the host countries, so it's quite possible it could not qualify for the tournament it's jointly hosting.

Looks like Wales chances of automatically qualifying for Euro 2024 in Germany have taken a blow. It's likely any route will be through playoffs. If they qualify then hopefully Cardiff Airport will see some fan charters.

Bit of political news from Wales that could have an effect on Cardiff Airport in the future especially if the new government is more willing to splash the cash route development wise.
Mark Drakeford First Minister of Wales has announced he's stepping down as Leader of the Labour Party in Wales and this after a selection process will lead to a new First Minister before Easter I believe.

I hope the next leader will place transport, under the control of the next business and economy minister, we may then see some positivity towards the airport from the Welsh Government, and far less influence from the culture and climate section.

I hope the next leader will place transport, under the control of the next business and economy minister, we may then see some positivity towards the airport from the Welsh Government, and far less influence from the culture and climate section.
It definitely was an interesting decision and I personally suspect a bit of political smoke and mirrors to make it look like Wales was spending lots of money on tackling climate change.

Not good news at all but every time I drive past Port Talbot, I always think it would be the perfect location for an airport. Huge site, flat and excellent road and rail links.

Not good news at all but every time I drive past Port Talbot, I always think it would be the perfect location for an airport. Huge site, flat and excellent road and rail links.
Unfortunately it's most likely to eventually end up as a business park with housing around it.

Vaughn Gething is one of the 2 candidates standing for the Welsh Labour leadership and by default the First Minister of Wales and has produced his manifesto.
He does mention Cardiff Airport and this is the relevant passage
"Cardiff Airport is a vital economic and transport resource for South Wales. We would continue to support innovation and growth. We would work with the aviation industry to use the airport as a catalyst for lower carbon air travel"
https://www.vaughanforleader.cymru/manifesto
Tbf that's more than the Labour manifesto said about it in 2021!
I believe Jeremy Miles manifesto is out next week so it'll be curious to see what that says concerning the airport.

Cardiff's Principality stadium to host the 2025 European finals. I don't see a Welsh team getting anywhere near the Champion Cup final but Challenge cup is a possibility from a Cardiff Airport point of view a France v Ireland final would be a good result!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-u...link&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_medium=social

Vaughn Gething is one of the 2 candidates standing for the Welsh Labour leadership and by default the First Minister of Wales and has produced his manifesto.
He does mention Cardiff Airport and this is the relevant passage
"Cardiff Airport is a vital economic and transport resource for South Wales. We would continue to support innovation and growth. We would work with the aviation industry to use the airport as a catalyst for lower carbon air travel"
https://www.vaughanforleader.cymru/manifesto
Tbf that's more than the Labour manifesto said about it in 2021!
I believe Jeremy Miles manifesto is out next week so it'll be curious to see what that says concerning the airport.
Well Jeremy Miles has released his manifesto and there is no mention of Cardiff Airport at all, disappointing.

Vaughan Gethin has won the nomination for leadership of the Welsh Labour Party, and therefore the new First Minister of Wales from next Tuesday, unless the Senedd refuse to accept the nomination. I think his win is better news for CWL, as he supports the need for Wales to have an active and busy international airport, where as Jeremy Miles the other candidate never mentioned the airport during his campaign.

Vaughan Gethin has won the nomination for leadership of the Welsh Labour Party, and therefore the new First Minister of Wales from next Tuesday, unless the Senedd refuse to accept the nomination. I think his win is better news for CWL, as he supports the need for Wales to have an active and busy international airport, where as Jeremy Miles the other candidate never mentioned the airport during his campaign.
A note of caution perhaps about Gethin’s enthusiasm for CWL. I recall him supporting the idea of banning UK domestic flights, under a certain distance in favour of trains etc and more so called Eco friendly forms of transport, similar to what is proposed in France. This could be catastrophic if such a policy were adopted in Wales. I hope for CWL sake that he has had a change of heart.

Last edited:
Please remember that politicians say a lot of things to get where they want to go, so I wouldn't take his word as gospel. Time will tell if he follows through on his promise. I hope he does but do err on the side of caution. Although Mr Miles didn't mention anything in his spiel doesn't mean he had an opinion or a plan for CWL. Of course we won't know now. Hopefully though the correct person has been chosen for the job.

A note of caution perhaps about Gethin’s enthusiasm for CWL. I recall him supporting the idea of banning UK domestic flights, under a certain distance in favour of trains etc and more so called Eco friendly forms of transport, similar to what is proposed in France. This could be catastrophic if such a policy were adopted in Wales. I hope for CWL sake that he has had a change of heart.
Wales doesn't really have any domestic routes that fit into the 3 hour train ride bracket that such a policy tends to be based around. Only route which has overland transport options is Edinburgh and sadly that route isn't doing well. So not much damage would be done to CWL.
Although Mr Miles didn't mention anything in his spiel doesn't mean he had an opinion or a plan for CWL.
I'd have thought he'd adopt the same strategy as Drakeford's government in making sure it's supported to keep it open but not much else. Vaughan Gething did at least mention the airport which may suggest he sees it as more important than Jeremy Miles did. Only time will tell to see what happens.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock