Unlikely to see consolidation just yet.

After years of wondering what will happen regarding the 3rd LHR runway or 2nd runway, the airlines are now putting in place action plans to be able to grow their ops in the face of constraints.

Manchester is one of the first clear benefactors of this, as the new Virgin routes announced recently are part of a forward strategy with Delta and Virgin in that MAN is now to become a relief hub for the UK flights. LHR will deal with the main bulk of flights, obviously, and be primarily a London and South east entry. Gatwick will remain the leisure hub, but, Manchester will become their 'rest of UK hub' save a few flights to the likes of EDI-JFK and GLA flights.

We are going to see a lot more flights to come, the routes team is having to employ more people as they have been so busy of late with airlines wanting to get the forward plans in before MAN too becomes constrained for morning slots.

The next 2-3 years are going to be the big game changing years, MAN has had brilliant growth in the last few years, but, the next 3 look to really steam ahead, especially with things like the T2 development and US pre-Clearance, to which now has full funding paid for and just going through final consultation now.

More than just VS? Do you have any information on which other airline/route combinations may adopt a similar strategy?

It seems pretty logical to me, I'm just surprised it is falling into place...

Worth noting that there are no less than 9 routes starting in the next month.

Impressive stuff when you think about it.

Indeed - can I ask what is meant by the next 2-3 years being game changing?

Is it in respect of the volume of passengers, the airlines and route combinations or new entrants to the market (e.g. LHR overspill?)

*if* Tunisia returns for the tour operators next year, then Nouvelair will run Enfidha for Thomas Cook on Wednesdays between their Tunis flights.

BJ8901 NBE 0600 MAN 0915
BJ174 MAN 1000 TUN 1300

BJ175 TUN 1100 MAN 1415
BJ8902 MAN 1500 NBE 1820

You will notice the times seem off, as it Will not be same aircraft coming back from TUN, as the aircraft swaps in TUN. Also worth noting Nouvelair are due to start Tunis this year, so, the Tunis flights are a continuation from S16 into W16/S17

I've been doing a little research on unserved routes. Nothing too scientific, simply picking up a list of the 30 busiest airports by international traffic and highlighting which ones have no direct service to MAN.

As a major spoke, I feel this identifies unserved routes where there is a major demand, feed and (importantly) airline at the hub which could operate the services.

8 - Incheon (South Korea)
9 - Bangkok (Thailand)
11 - Dayaun (Taiwan)
13 - Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
17 - Tokyo (Japan)
25 - Shanghai (China)

I should add that unserved airports like Dallas, Guangzhou are not in this list - but would be if it included domestic traffic.

Anyway, I think it is notable that at one time or another these routes have been discussed at one point or another. It probably does go some way to substantiating the Korean air hypothesis. It also demonstrates that Malaysian and Thai's woes are making it difficult to create those links.

I think Taiwan is the outlier here and don't think it is technically possible direct?

I think Taiwan is the outlier here and don't think it is technically possible direct?

Here's the agreement in an article
http://taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=121439&ctNode=445
http://taiwantoday.tw/ct.asp?xItem=121439&ctNode=445

"In addition, a new Taipei-Manchester route will be created, with seven round-trip flights per week. According to the terms of the agreement, the Taipei-Manchester flights will be operated by Taiwanese carriers. For cargo services, the revised pact retains the existing three Taipei-London round-trip flights per week and increases the number of round-trip Taipei-Manchester cargo flights from three to 10, the CAA said. Both the passenger and the cargo flights between Taiwan and the U.K. will be allowed to stop at other destinations en route, in accordance with the fifth freedom of the air, the CAA noted. This means the flights will be able to put down or pick up either passengers or cargo at places such as Vienna or Bangkok"

I believe China Airlines is looking at non-stop into LHR with A350s soonish having previously operated via BKK into LHR with A340s but from those routes you've listed, we could get them or EVA Air to kill 2 birds with 1 stone with a TPE-BKK-MAN routing. Brand awareness would need to be looked at as TPE is a far smaller market than BKK but how many passengers from the MAN catchment area would even think of looking at Taiwanese airlines to route non-stop to BKK from MAN?

David

That would be an interesting development. I don't know what the O&D between MAN-TPE is, but we think we know that MAN-BKK and BKK-TPE could be sustained on a standalone basis. It may have some merit. An alternate stopover may be KUL.

Each take advantage of MH and TG being unable to operate the route.

How would this work politically. If Greater manchester is a focal point of Chinese investment, might that be impacted by the sight of Taiwanese aircraft?

If they were go for the least political ramification way, it would be Eva Air as China Airlines is regarded as the Taiwanese flag carrier. They've been flying to LHR since 1993

I think they would look beyond the form and to the substance.

I'll try and put together a list including domestic traffic. From recollection it adds places like Atlanta, Beijing, LA in addition to Dallas and Guangzhou (noted above) so may have interest.

Including domestic traffic:

Tokyo
Dallas
Shanghai
Guangzhou
Chengkareng (Indonesia)
Denver
Bangkok
Seoul
KL
Delhi
Charlotte
Houston

I think user mentioned Indonesia a while back. Some usual suspects there too.

I thought I'd spend a quiet Sunday morning recapping where the MAN long haul programme is and where we may see changes to existing routes, the status of confirmed new routes as well as some possible new routes over the next 2/3 years.

Current Routes where changes may occur

JFK - this has seen significant growth over the past year with TCX, DL and AA operating a pretty much daily service. TCX are to go to daily in summer 2017 (early reports put this at 9x weekly which may still happen?) and AA and DL are moving towards offering the B764 product. An option for an afternoon flight would be a positive development here as would year-round widebody service from the US legacy carriers.

IAD – a seasonal but daily route operated by UA. I don’t know what equipment they use although I suspect it will be a B757? It would be good to see this become year round, if less frequent in winter. Prices seem very high (per Skyscanner) so if they are using a B757 they may want to reconsider a B767.

ORD – as with IAD, this is also a daily seasonal route operated by AA (but with only January to March being free of flights). From June to October 2016 this is operated by the B788. Making this year round with a B788 or B767 would be a sold next step before a year round widebody service.

EWR – UA operate daily using a B757. Moving them towards the B767 on a year round basis would be a good upgrade. The B764 came in today, hopefully we will see this more regularly.

MIA – operated by TCX and to be increased to 3x weekly. May be a route where more competition could join in time (a VS or TOM route perhaps?).

ATL – I would like to mention this, as it is a route that has been performing very well. It will be interesting to see whether the addition of more services to the West Cost and other parts of the US (particularly if a Dallas service begins) will impact this, as I suspect most people on this route will be connecting. This is a daily A333, and there is no immediate way of increasing capacity, unless a B744 is used and these are being phased out. This may be an option for the A351 if VS order as rumoured.

HKG – CX have performed superbly on this route and it is expected that the current 4x weekly will be doubled to 8x weekly. It is not known whether the B77W will continue to be used (they do well on freight) or if this will change to the A359.

SIN – SQ will need to follow CX’s lead at some point, and it cannot come soon enough. De-coupling from MUC whilst continuing to offer a daily service may need the A359 but it has been done in the past with a B772 and CX want to increase, possibly still with the B77W. They need to do something soon because the MEB3 and CX offer a one stop kangaroo route and connecting to SE Asia. SQ offers two stops. Even on the route to their own hub SQ offer one stop – the same as the MEB3 and others. Whilst they continue to have reasonable patronage, they are obviously losing customers to the MEB3 (Emirates in particular) and CX.

DXB – EK continues to perform strongly from MAN. It seems likely that either a 4th daily or the conversion of the early morning flight to A380 will be announced in 2016. This will be interesting as the B77W carries far more cargo than the A380. Triple A380 ops may need a dedicated cargo service, which would go against recent trends.

AUH – as with the other members of the MEB3, EY have had a good year. They are at a point where they have a 2x daily B77W service, which are very full, and to increase capacity they are either looking at using an A380 or adding a third daily flight. They have few A380s (although they have indicated they want to bring it to MAN one day, and one of MANs renders of the TP shows an EY A380) so I think that is unlikely for now. Moving to a three daily operation and using more A330s and B789s seems to me to be the most likely next step if they want to increase capacity.

DOH – QR are approaching the point where they use a double daily B77W. They still use a mix of A330, B788 and B77W and either just have or are about to go double daily. They have time to follow the template of EK and EY.

LHE – we are aware of PIA’s current battle, which I think most expect them to win.

YYZ – currently served by Air Canada Rouge and Air Transaat (I think both are seasonal). Whilst it would be nice to get the “full fat” Air Canada I think the priority should be to get the route year round. The demand exists (or it certainly used to exist) for a 4/5x weekly operation year round so I don’t think the route would tank if launched.

YVR – currently served on a seasonal basis by Air Transaat. It would be good if Air Canada could operate this, but I think we are a long way away from that. Making it a regular year round route would be a good step forwards.

Soon to be Served

LAX – TCX to commence the route at 2x weekly in May using the A330. This will remain at 2x weekly over the winter, and is due to increase to 3x weekly from summer 2017 (this has been removed from the provisional S17 timetable). There have been rumours about VS being interested in this route but there has been no public comment. With luck the frequency increase for 2017 is a sign of what is to come, and options and frequency will increase on this route over the next year or two.

SFO – TCX seem to have tipped their hand at starting this route in the summer 2017 at 2x weekly using the A330. As with LAX, VS are rumoured to have interest in this route, but there has been no public comment. I should note that TCX have removed SFO from the provisional timetable, but this is not unusual (I am told!).

BOS – TCX to commence the route at 2x weekly in May using the A330. This looks like a seasonal route for now.

PEK – Hainan to start this route on 10 June 4x weekly using the A333. This has already been up-gauged from the A332, hopefully a sign of advance bookings. They have stated that they want to make this a daily operation in future.

PVG – Air China are expected to announce this shortly before Hainan start their route. Presume it will use the A330 but no indication about frequency. I think it is reasonable to assume that they will mirror Hainan and start at 4x weekly with an aspiration to go daily.

HKT – TOM to commence this as a fortnightly (i.e. one flight every 14 days) in the winter of 2016 (I am not sure which month?) using the B788. Obviously one flight every two weeks is not ideal, but as a bucket and spade charter type operation as part of a package holiday it probably works.

MRU – TOM to commence this as (I think) fortnightly in the winter of 2016 using the B788. As with HKT as part of a bucket and spade charter type operation as part of a package holiday it probably works.

GOI - TOM to add this to their network. Similar basis to MRU.

Unserved Routes that may be feasible in the short/medium term

DFW – this is a major hub for AA, primarily for South America. AA have previously tweeted their desire to run MAN-DFW using a B788 so it is a case of “watch this space” although nothing much has changed over a long period.

KUL – previously served by MH using the B744 this remains a major market that is consistently in the MEB3’s most popular destinations ex MAN. Had MH been in a better financial position, I think they would be looking at the opportunities at MAN. As it happens, D7 have shown an interest in the past and have recently indicated that they might consider running into LGW. Might this be back on the cards?

BKK – I don’t know if this has been served previously. TG have apparently had their eye on MAN for some time but like MH they are in a poor financial position. A shame, because I think they would do well from MAN with their onwards connections. This is one of the routes where TCX may see an expansion opportunity over the next couple of years.

CPT/JNB – these have been tried in the past, but SAA are not in a position to return (and may not want to in any event). It is probably an either or scenario, but I strongly think TCX can make MAN-CPT work as a 3/4x weekly operation – particularly as a winter operation. I think they run the route from LGW, so this may be on the cards before too long.

HND – we know that JAL have been sniffing around, but very little seems to have happened. Rumoured at 4x weekly. They may be waiting to see how Hainan and Air China impact on CX and whether CX up-gauge to 8x weekly.

DEL – one for Air India perhaps. Understandably their focus is on Birmingham but I would think the wider north would have the population and business connections for regular flights.

BOM – one for Air India and/or Jet Airways to look at. Understandably their focus is on Birmingham but I would think the wider north would have the population and business connections for regular flights.

RUH – strong indications that Saudia will start this soon.

I know that User_001 has suggested that Seattle, Denver, Reno, Charlotte may be feasible, and Land23R has suggested Detroit and Tampa, but my feeling is that looking at the network in the round, you would not get the transfer traffic to support these on top of the other (more likely) addition of Dallas on top of Los Angeles and San Francisco. I have not looked at Orlando or Philadelphia as I don’t know enough about them.

From a personal perspective, if Hainan and Air China do well I could see further new routes to China start quite quickly. In particular, China Southern to Guangzhou seems like a serous possibility. I obviously have my own ideas about ANZ running to MAN via LAX/SFO but accept that whilst it has been looked at in the past there is no indication that expansion to Europe is on ANZ’s radar at present. That aside, if the above routes are established, I would like to see a period of consolidation and strengthening of what we have to regular year round services to hopefully strengthen the business community of the north in general and make use of the infrastructure improvements that we hope to see over the next 10 years of so (including NPR and HS2).

In reference to my list above, I'll try and summarise the most recent updates and speculation. Feel free to comment!

The main news is the focus by DL/VS on turning MAN into a secondary point of entry to the UK, and users revaluation that they are not the only ones. We also have the chance of man being used as a scissor operation but don't know who for.

Not as tightly grouped as previously but see below:

JFK - we may yet see TCX go daily on this route when aircraft become available. Otherwise we are looking at a year round widebody service.

DFW - AA have been rumoured to be interested in this for some time. We think they might look at this with the B788.

MIA - as above, waiting for TCX to obtain more aircraft to increase frequency. May also be a target for VS.

ATL - it has been speculated that VS/DL interest in other US routes may lead to ATL being reduced. I doubt it.

LAX & SFO - the big news sinceast time is VS moving in to SFO at 3x weekly initially in a seasonal basis. It seems only a matter of time before they look at LAX and increase frequency. TCX are still interested in the west coast, User thinks that TCX want to go daily to the west coast (say 4x weekly LAX and 3x SFO). With this competition I doubt we will see ANZ and UA run these routes.

DET - possibility that DL may start this.

HKG - CX still want to go at least daily in the route, but have crew issues and essentially prioritised a slot grab at LGW above MAN 8x weekly. Watch this space.

SIN - the main news here is SQs plan to go daily non stop on the A359 when available. At the start it may be 4x weekly A359 and 3x weekly B77W. Good step forward for them.

No news on JAL or any others.

Last edited:
Hearing several strong rumours that September will see the start of a 2 weekly cargo flight on Tue/Fri using light blue B77F's.

Yes, Korean Air. Flight will apparently run ICN-FRA-MAN-ARN-ICN with crew change at MAN.

Be good if this one comes off!

That would be great. With a strong cargo start point it would make a scheduled passenger service all the more likely...

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock