They are also advertising the Chinese flights on radio down here and it appears as if it's not just Heart FM, Free Radio are also carrying them.

Although advertising is par for the course, this seems odd if the loads are as high as reported (obviously the CAA stats show low 80% loads).

There is a plan to go daily MAN-PEK from June (with a 4x week DUB tag) so it may be that they are trying to bolster the passenger flows and hold yield in light of this expansion.

Last edited:
It's quite apparent that there needs to be a bit more of a push of our transatlantic offering over in the States itself - it's truly manifested itself over on blue.net with the AA to NCL thread. If someone didn't even know that MAN-MCO existed then there's an epic failure of communication - if aviation enthusiasts don't know, then what chance the general US public. Yes for that route it's all about the UK market but the other cities should be aiming to attract some inbound leisure.

It's quite apparent that there needs to be a bit more of a push of our transatlantic offering over in the States itself - it's truly manifested itself over on blue.net with the AA to NCL thread. If someone didn't even know that MAN-MCO existed then there's an epic failure of communication - if aviation enthusiasts don't know, then what chance the general US public. Yes for that route it's all about the UK market but the other cities should be aiming to attract some inbound leisure.
I completely agree - people completely underestimate MAN. Someone needs to post on there the full list of Manchester's US destinations to educate and stop putting any discussion about MAN down (as some do on a.net). Unfortunately (or fortunately!) I don't have an account ;)

I posted this on one of the other threads but on reflection it might be more appropriate for here.

There used to be some vociferous discussion on fruit regarding the announcement of new routes where the PR started and indeed stopped with the Manchester Evening News. Havn't seen anything lately however. I think the Heathrow based mods didn't like Manchester!

Throwing my hat in the ring I believe things have improved steadily re marketing but there is still a heavy bias toward targetting the public purely in Gtr Manchester. It would be great if there was a concerted strategy that targeted possible traffic on a much wider scale across the catchment ( now happening) and of course at the other end of the route. This should also include the simplicity of originating transfers from Norwich Southampton Exeter Newquay etc

Using Boston as a launch example.

I didn't see by way of copy (via Google monitoring) anything in say the Boston Globe, local radio, social media or any other media outlets in this area announcing new routes to Manchester. By definition it doesn't then seep into the consciousness of the travelling public at the other end of the route !!!!!!

Now im fully aware we are not London but we are/were still a new route to Europe and we still have a number of advantages over competing airports in terms of the offer.
On that basis i would have thought that an additional route in this direction would be marketing gold for the Boston airport PR dept but havn't seen anything.

Their fault or ours ?

There seems to be a disconnect between Manchester pr and their respective depts on these new routes and indeed possibly the airlines as to who is doing what!

I would cite Hainan as a superb example of what s/b happening albeit on a smaller scale across the board but was this airline driven, an airport initiative OR a combination of the two ?

Manchester PR( at least to me) sometimes seem reactive rather than pro active.

Things have improved tremendously but there is room for more.

It won't come to us on a plate and we have to scrap for every single passenger!

One other point It seems pre clearance is now on its way.

On that basis if airlines are starting to build analysis and possible launch 12 to 18 months out ( See Detroit Ethan ) it is something that "if confirmed" MAN need to start marketing vociferously NOW as it could be a game changer between an airline selecting Manchester .....or another competing airport based on a May 2018 start date.

Last edited:
Manchester Airport Social Media said:
Fancy jetting off on a far flung holiday trip of a life time? Well check out these amazing economy return fares with Oman Air!
Great to see MAN advertising these fares, particularly to India. See below:

Last edited:
Routes that I think could be popular for our catchment:
Lahore/Karachi/Islamabad - £366
Kuala Lumpur - £359
Delhi - £361
Bangkok - £353
Dhaka - £427
Mumbai - £336
Guangzhou - £431
Colombo - £360
Bangalore - £364

Very competitive pricing - one that sticks out to me for the distance is Chennai at £332.

Nice to see a Eurowings advert on a bus shelter in Piccadilly Gardens. Only extolling the delights of Hamburg, Cologne and Dusseldorf though with prices from £24.99 one way

First it was Birmingham Pride and now they are opening a pop up shop in the heart of Brum. :(

Airport says it wants to tell the people of Birmingham about its US routes and give away gifts and a £1,500 holiday.

Manchester Airport is hoping to steal some customers away from its counterpart in Birmingham by opening a new pop-up shop in the city centre.

The shop will be open for just five days from June 14 in the Great Western Arcade, in Colmore Row, where it will have interactive, travel-themed games where shoppers can win prizes alongside a draw offering holidays and gifts.

Manchester Airport said the pop up shop was coming to Birmingham to showcase its US routes such as San Francisco, Boston and Miami, which are only otherwise available in London.

Head of marketing Patrick Alexander said: "We have a whole host of long-haul routes that currently passengers can either only go from London airports or from Manchester.

"By coming to Birmingham with our very first pop up shop means we can educate and show the people of the Midlands how easy Manchester Airport is, as an alternative of getting to, and across the capital, to reach far flung destinations."

Prizes on offer at the draw include a luxury holiday worth £1,500, Kindle Fire, Go-pro camera and Samsonite luggage.

Virtual reality goggles will also give visitors the chance to see the future of Manchester Airport as it undergoes a ten-year, £1 billion regeneration.

http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/bus...ty/manchester-airport-opening-pop-up-13173142

The airport certainly seems to be pressing the USA routes - with support from some of the airlines themselves. Hope it pays dividends and may suggest SFO/BOS have life in 2018 yet...

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock