Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
If you have any information or comments to make regarding Luton Airport, of a general nature, please let us know on this thread.

• Admin
Luton named Best UK Business Airport

London Luton Airport has been named the Best UK Business Airport, as voted for by subscribers of Business Destinations magazine.

The award recognises the convenience of travelling from London Luton as well as the many new services and improvements that have been introduced with the business traveller in mind. The airport was judged on criteria such as: quality of service, value for money, range of products and services, and environmental considerations.

Glyn Jones, managing director at London Luton Airport, said: "Over the past year we have achieved growth in passenger numbers through the expansion of our route network and increases in the frequency of flights; passengers choose to fly from London Luton because of our excellent transport links and service levels. This award demonstrates just how attractive this airport is for airlines and travellers alike."

In the last 12 months, the airport has made significant investment to improve access and is now more convenient and faster to get to with an upgraded public transport interchange, new and enlarged drop-off zone and improved short term car park. Road and rail access is now better than ever with the completion of the M1 motorway widening, dual carriageway link to the airport and excellent rail services to central London taking as little as 20 minutes.

London Luton Airport is on of the UK's largest airports, carrying more than 10 million passengers annually.

Source

• Admin
[textarea]TV ariel interfered with Luton bound aircraft

A ariel signal booster on the television set of a Bedfordshire boy has been interfering with aircraft, the BBC reports. The aerial on 12-year-old Nicky Chamberlain's bedroom TV was disrupting communications between pilots and air traffic control at Luton airport.

Communications regulator Ofcom traced the problem to the home in Knaves Hill, Linslade, 18 miles from the airport. Nicky's dad, Dave Chamberlain told the news service: ‘I came home to find an Ofcom engineer parked outside the house. It was bizarre. I had never heard of anything like it before. '

'Nicky had the booster for a couple of years and there had been no problem. Recently they changed the flight-path and that must have caused the problem with pilots talking to the airport. We are decorating Nicky's bedroom now and when that's finished we will get him a new aerial that does not interfere with passing planes!’

A spokesperson for communications regulator Ofcom said: ‘It is not common for something like this to happen. We have field engineers who go around the country investigating for radio interference. In this case the faulty aerial booster was found to be interfering with the pilot's radio.’

Source[/textarea]

I wonder how the kids parents reacted when they were told about their sons new found hobby?

• Admin
[textarea]Luton Airport announce £50,000 community fund

Luton Airport has announced £50,000 will go to the Airport’s Community Trust Fund in 2010. The fund, which was established a year ago, was set up to provide support for local community initiatives that contribute towards the aims and objectives of the Airport’s Community Engagement Strategy.

The £50,000 available through the fund in 2010 is open to applications from groups in Luton, Stevenage, Central Bedfordshire, North Hertfordshire, Aylesbury Vale and St Albans district. The fund is independently administered by Bedfordshire & Luton Community Foundation and grants are awarded by its Grants Panel.

In 2009, the Grants Panel made 30 awards supporting local projects, helping deliver social, environmental and economic progress in the community, a spokesman said.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Airport trolley charges double

(UKPA)

Some may think holidaymakers would be off their trolleys to pay it - but the cost of hiring a baggage pushcart has doubled at some British airports.

Passengers flying in or out of London Luton Airport and Bristol Airport will be hit by from soaring trolley hire charges, with the price rising from £1 to £2 last week.

And the cost, which kicks in just as summer holiday season gets going, is non-refundable, a Luton Airport spokeswoman said.[/textarea]

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... N-dRgfQUBw

100% increase in charges - somewhat above the rate of inflation!!

Shocking public relations move at a time when everyone is being told to tighten their belts.

[textarea]New local artist showcased in Luton Airport gallery

Luton Airport has revealled the latest artist to be included in its Gateway Gallery. David Lowther, who taught art in Bedfordshire for 25 years, will be exhibiting a range of paintings based on Seamus Heaney's poem Storm on the Island until the end of September.

Located in the arrivals area, the Gateway Gallery is designed to allow local artists to display their work to the millions of passengers who pass through the airport each year. The gallery has been created as part of the Luton Airport Community Engagement Strategy.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Luton Airport raised £42,000 for 2010 charity

Luton Airport employees have raised over £42,000 for Keech Hospice Care, which was the travel hub's Charity of the Year last year. A spokesman for the charity said: ‘Keech Hospice Care has been delighted at the support we have received from London Luton Airport as their Charity of the Year for 2009 and 2010.'

He also praised the staff at Luton Airport for the ‘astonishing sum’ they collected through their commitment and enthusiasm to the cause. Employees raised the funds via a number of volunteering and fundraising activities, including quizzes, a midnight walk, raffles and cake baking.

The airport has named its Charity of the Year 2011 as New Opportunities and Horizon Enterprise, which helps local homeless people get back into housing and jobs.

Source[/textarea]

[textarea]Aviation minister visits Luton Airport

Luton Airport welcomed Aviation Minister Theresa Villiers yesterday. During her visit she helped Wizz Air to celebrate flying its 10 millionth passenger through Luton Airport in just seven years.

Speaking during a tour of the airport, Ms Villiers said, ‘I would like to thank the team at Luton Airport for not only giving me the opportunity to see for myself the airport’s impressive facilities, but also help mark this important milestone for Wizz Air.'

'We have been clear that we want aviation to be able to grow, and it is encouraging to see how successful Luton Airport has become. It is playing an increasingly important role in the aviation connectivity in London and the South East, as well as opening up new markets around the world to the local economy and providing employment for thousands of people.’

Glyn Jones, Managing Director of the airport, said ‘We are delighted that the Minister is here to share Wizz Air’s remarkable achievements. The strong working partnership we have forged with them has secured an average annual growth in passengers of 39% over 7 years. Despite the challenging economic climate the low cost model has allowed both Luton Airport and modern, dynamic airlines such as Wizz Air to become successful growth stories’.

For more information on this airport news story visit: http://www.london-luton.co.uk/en/news/[/textarea]

[textarea]Spanish giant to buy Luton airport

THE world’s largest airport operator is planning to add to its sprawling interests by taking over London Luton.

The Spanish group Aena, which owns nearly 70 hubs around the globe, is believed to have exercised its right to become the new owner of Luton under an agreement with the largest shareholder.

The airport is controlled by Abertis, the Spanish infrastructure giant, under a long-term deal with Luton council.

Luton is Britain’s fifth-largest airport, with more than 9m passengers last year. It is the base of a number of airlines, including easyJet, and some 90% of its flights are international.

Full Story: http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/bus ... 2013_06_01[/textarea]

I didn't see that one coming. I didn't even realise it was up for sale.

The takeover of Luton airport has been completed.

"The takeover of Luton airport has been completed by European investment company Ardian and Spanish airports operator AENA Group.

The acquisition for an undisclosed sum from infrastructure group Abertis has been flagged since the summer.

The new owners were attracted by the strong growth in passenger numbers, up from 3.4 million in 1998 to 10 million this year, the airport said."

Read more: http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/ ... leted.html

AENA has a good track record of delivering growth in it's Spanish airports so I expect Luton airport will do well with the company.

[textarea]Feet from diasaster: Dramatic pictures show moment easyJet plane was forced to abandon landing after huge gust of wind tipped its wing towards the runway.

article-0-1B93C7D800000578-521_634x443.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2tgIssaCF[/textarea]

This one slipped under the radar.
Luton celebrated its inaugural flight to New York Newark by French business airline La Compagnie on Monday, April 27. Starting at 3 weekly flights, an extra flight will be added every few weeks until it levels out at six weekly in June. They will be operated by a 74-seat Boeing 757-200 in an all-business class configuration. This is Luton's first scheduled long-haul service since Silverjet ceased flights to the same destination in 2008.

Thanks for the info jfy1999. I haven't heard a great deal about La Compagnie but I hope they make a better go of it than Silverjet.

B757_C_ATI.jpg

Image by austrianaviation.net

Looking back, wasn't there another business airline operating out of Luton around the same time as Silverjet that also failed?

MAXjet and Eos also operated transatlantic services to London and both went out of business around the same time as Silverjet, but they flew to Stansted, not Luton.
All-business class airlines don't seem to do that well, most of the ones I have heard of are now out of business.

Hi jfy1999,

Yeh, it's a bit of a niche market aiming at business only and it makes you wonder why they think they will do any better than the last lot. You could argue that an airline that aims at the entire market with an economy and premium economy price structure can sustain the strain of economic fluctuations easier than a business only airline.

I see the England team flew out of Luton today on Gainjet 737-400 "Long Range" SX-ATF to Paris LBG. Luton seems to be England's departure point whenever they head to tournaments. If I recall correctly, they used a 767 to fly from Luton to Brazil for the 2014 World Cup.

It also flies from Manchester. Typical routing, such as today's one, is MAN-LTN-XXX. MAN also saw the team fly back after the World Cup.

It drops off the Northern contingent.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock