https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:JD_Cumberland06.jpg

ashton bristol double decker bridge

I've found some old pics of how the Cumberland Basin used to look prior to the flyover system being built in the mid 1960s. The first link is an aerial picture.

The second link is to a series of pictures showing the Ashton Swing Bridge from its inception in the dim, distant past to its new incarnation as part of the MetroBus route. It used to be a double decker bridge - road on top and rail below - and was part of the pre-flyover route out of the city to north Somerset. Traffic left Hotwells via the Junction Lock Swing Bridge (still useful when the main flyover bridge is swing for shipping) towards Ashton Swing Bridge.

Returning to Mayor Rees's proposal/aspiration for demolition, I think the driver is his desire to find space for a multitude of affordable homes, something that is close to his heart.

I'm not convinced of the practicalities of the notion, apart from the expense. He suggests a new crossing nearer the Suspension Bridge. Where would he find the room? The A4 at the Hotwells end is squeezed between buildings that are against the hill with the river on the other side. It does widen a bit on the actual approach to the flyover system but a new bridge would have to have a very steep ramp if it was to cross the river without the need to open to permit tall ships to pass underneath.

So far as traffic concerned wherever the crossing is put is going to do nothing to alleviate the long queues on the A4 Portway and A 370 Long Ashton Bypass which itself receives traffic from the A38 via the South Bristol Link Road. Traffic will still have to home in on this one point from these directions. The disruption caused during demolition and construction would be mind boggling but I accept that in itself is not a reason for doing nothing. To maintain some link with the airport in this thread, airport traffic would be affected.

I've given the idea more thought since it was made public and if there was a possibility of it improving that part of the city including traffic flows then perhaps it might be worth further exploration. However, the mayor has so much on his plate to deal with the many current problems around the city which are made worse with an empty municipal purse that I wish he'd concentrate on that at the moment instead of using scarce money and other resources on what might turn out to be nothing more than a pipe dream.

Bristol's local politicians of all persuasions have a long and inglorious record of talking the talk but too often reneging when it comes to walking the walk, but public money is expended in the process. I fear this will be the latest example.

A1 Flyer

When one of the airport-liveried First Bristol Volvo single decker buses is temporarily out of commission for some reason it's replaced by a First Bristol single decker from the city fleet. Yesterday a replacement was a First Bristol city double-decker which confirms such vehicles can operate into Temple Meads now that the Flyer stop has been moved away from the listed canopy at the front of the station.

The liveried 12-strong fleet of single deckers is expected to be replaced by double deckers and I was told recently that this should be early in the new year. Whether it will be in one go I don't know. When the current Volvo buses replaced the coaches previously used it was done in two stages: six in 2010 and six in 2011.

The only other airport service that uses double deckers is the half-hourly A4 Air Decker to Bath.

A1 Flyer take 2

For many years the Airport Flyer picked up its passengers at Temple Meads station at the top of the station approach road under the listed station canopy about 20 metres from the main pedestrian entrance to the station.

Then about a year or so ago the Flyer stop was moved to near the top of the approach road on the left hand side going up, next to the stops for city services 8 and 9. Although the new bus stop meant the Flyer stopped short of the station canopy near that point, waiting passengers could shelter underneath it in inclement weather as it is only a few steps to the bus stop.

I was at Temple Meads today and noticed the Flyer pick-up stop is now half way down on the same side of the approach road, at the point where passengers on inbound Flyers from the airport have left the bus for many years and where now several bus routes to the universities and one to Cribbs Causeway/Parkway station begin and end their journeys.

There is no bus shelter at this point and none within reasonable walking distance. Because of the listed status of much of the station I doubt that permission would be given for a bus shelter there. This afternoon when I walked past there were about 20 intending passengers waiting for the next Flyer to the airport. Fortunately, today was a glorious autumn day but in wind and rain passengers are going to get very wet.

M5 access

Found something interesting in the NS joint spatial plan draft: Basically thousands of new homes are planned near Nailsea and Backwell, and a new direct link to the M5 is proposed from J20 at Clevedon going straight towards the airport, passing just west of Nailsea and Backwell, straight down to the A370 south of Backwell. Pretty much exactly where you would end up if you extended Downside Rd straight onwards towards the A370 when you come from the airport. I suspect this is not a coincidence.

I was aware only of the new junction around WSM and the Banwell/Churchil bypass, but not this new link down from Clevedon.

View attachment 6996

M5 access

Found something interesting in the NS joint spatial plan draft: Basically thousands of new homes are planned near Nailsea and Backwell, and a new direct link to the M5 is proposed from J20 at Clevedon going straight towards the airport, passing just west of Nailsea and Backwell, straight down to the A370 south of Backwell. Pretty much exactly where you would end up if you extended Downside Rd straight onwards towards the A370 when you come from the airport. I suspect this is not a coincidence.

I was aware only of the new junction around WSM and the Banwell/Churchil bypass, but not this new link down from Clevedon.

View attachment 6996
Good spot, tpm, although there will be plenty of opposition before this draft becomes NS policy.

If this link from the motorway ever became a reality it would obviously be a big boost to Bristol Airport. I'm not sure how easy it would be to extend Downside Road though, given that the current line takes it on a twisty road through Brockley Combe.

I hadn't realised the Banwell/Churchill bypass was back on the table. I thought the idea had been shelved. That too would be a help to the airport if it ever came about. They were talking about a bypass for Banwell when I used to travel through the village to and from school at Weston in the 1950s.

Bristol Metro

I heard a brief item on Radio Bristol this morning saying that the BBC had obtained exclusive details of the initial proposals for a Bristol Metro. It made it sound as if they'd discovered a vital breakthrough.

However, the reporter admitted it was merely the very first outline (pre-detailed outline) of what might happen at some distant time in the future. There would be three lines converging on the Temple Meads area. One from the northwest from around Aztec West via Southmead Hospital area and the Gloucester Road; one from the north (I think the vicinity of Parkway Station) before heading south to east Bristol (Warmley area) and then westwards through the eastern suburbs; one from BRS via Hotwells (much the same as Metro Bus).

It would be a tram or light rail and parts might be underground. The current cost is put at £2.5-4.5 billion. Mayor Rees (that's the city mayor as opposed to the metro mayor or the lord mayor - no wonder people are confused) has just returned from China to try to drum up some investment.

At the same time a £600,000 joint BRS/NS Council survey (mainly funded by the airport) is looking at ways of improving access to the airport and the area generally.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-4bn-underground-rail-network-929360

Bristol will have a £4bn underground rail network 'within 10 years', says Mayor Marvin Rees

The local rag has now got hold of this story. Probably go the same way as the arena - no money to complete it. The smaller arena proposed by Steve Lansdown at Ashton Gate will be built because the private sector money is there for that but the 12,000-seater at Temple Meads looks increasingly like a white elephant with many millions already spent on access (a £11 million bridge and ground works).

First Marvin wants to demolish the Cumberland Basin flyover system, now he thinks he'll get a multi-billion pound metro system (much of it underground) built in the next ten years. I love his enthusiasm but how realistic is any of it? Perhaps if his mate Jeremy Corbyn (a Chippenham lad originally) became prime minister there might be a chance.

A1 Flyer - new route

There was an article in the Bristol Post this week exploring ways that the Metrobus will help south Bristol. The first route - Temple Meads to Ashton Vale - should be operating by now but various problems have put back the launch until at least April 2018; the latest glitch involves the automatic ticket machines necessary to ride on the vehicles that are not yet ready for use.

The A1 Flyer route to BRS was mentioned as it will divert from the A38 just outside the city boundary, down the hill along the South Bristol Link Road to pick up the Metrobus route at Ashton Vale and from there to Temple Meads.

The article's author reminded his readers that several years ago Visit Bristol asked if the Flyer route could be altered to avoid the less than glamorous tour of the industrial estates of Bedminster, as it was felt that this would put off potential leisure visitors to the city. Well, the new route will at least give passengers a closer view of the Suspension Bridge as well as the Avon Gorge, the hillside Clifton crescents and part of the Harbourside.

The downside, and we've mentioned this on F4A in the past, is that many members of airport and airlines staff live in the Bedminster area and use the Flyer for work. The Post has spoken to First who run the Flyer service for the airport and was told that either a limited number of Flyer services would continue to route through Bedminster or an alternative service between Bedminster and the airport would be put on. Either way it seems that Bedminster will be served much less frequently than is currently the case with the Flyer.

Whilst on the subject of the Flyer, I've noticed that on some days two unmarked double-decker buses have joined the fleet. I don't know if these are standing in for a couple of sick liveried Flyer single-deckers or whether they are the advance guard of the double-decker fleet that will take over the Flyer service. I assume that eventually all the Flyer double-deckers will be painted in airport livery.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/7-ways-metrobus-change-south-989513

is the link to the Bristol Post story. It's a pity they could not have found an aerial shot of BRS to illustrate it. Instead they found an overhead shot of Filton airfield. Well, I suppose that's near enough when it comes to the Bristol Post. It's a pity because for once the article is a reasonably good effort.

Whilst on the subject of the Flyer, I've noticed that on some days two unmarked double-decker buses have joined the fleet. I don't know if these are standing in for a couple of sick liveried Flyer single-deckers or whether they are the advance guard of the double-decker fleet that will take over the Flyer service. I assume that eventually all the Flyer double-deckers will be painted in airport livery.

I had the displeasure of using one of those new double-decker busses on the way airport flyer route into town on Thursday. I really really hope these are just temporary and not the double-decker busses that are supposed to replace the existing flyer busses on the A1 route.

The double-decker bus I rode on Thursday around 17.20 was simply not fit for purpose for the airport flyer route.

There are three times as many seats as on the current/old airport flyers, which is nice of course, but there are no luggage racks (!) and no clear space where to put luggage. The bus was totally crammed. Lots of people with big heavy bags, all over the place. No one will or can take those bags upstairs of course, and people just stand around downstairs with their bags then.

A number of people were trying to exit from the back of the vehicle in Bedminster at West Street / Parson's Street, with heavy bags in tow. It was pretty difficult to get those through to the front door to exit, because other big bags and people who had nowhere else to go were blocking the way, so the exiting passengers had to lift their bags over other people's stuff (whilst carrying other items). Luckily a kind person helped out. The driver was asked to open the doors at the back, which would have made for an easy exit, but he refused to do so. When asked why he couldn't open the back door he said it was policy, they were only allowed to open the rear door at the airport. Then he laughed and said that of course it had to be that way because otherwise someone could jump on without paying the fare. We're talking about a completely deserted West Street with no one else anywhere near the bus stop. Not to mention that drivers don't have passengers to serve at these stops, so they could just look into their mirrors to make sure no one jumps on. Daft policy (for the flyer router) and poor judgement from the driver in my opinion.

Anyway, there's still hope this is just them breaking in the MetroBus fleet and there will be customised vehicles brought into service later.

Rant over. Thanks for reading ;)

I had the displeasure of using one of those new double-decker busses on the way airport flyer route into town on Thursday. I really really hope these are just temporary and not the double-decker busses that are supposed to replace the existing flyer busses on the A1 route.

The double-decker bus I rode on Thursday around 17.20 was simply not fit for purpose for the airport flyer route.

There are three times as many seats as on the current/old airport flyers, which is nice of course, but there are no luggage racks (!) and no clear space where to put luggage. The bus was totally crammed. Lots of people with big heavy bags, all over the place. No one will or can take those bags upstairs of course, and people just stand around downstairs with their bags then.

A number of people were trying to exit from the back of the vehicle in Bedminster at West Street / Parson's Street, with heavy bags in tow. It was pretty difficult to get those through to the front door to exit, because other big bags and people who had nowhere else to go were blocking the way, so the exiting passengers had to lift their bags over other people's stuff (whilst carrying other items). Luckily a kind person helped out. The driver was asked to open the doors at the back, which would have made for an easy exit, but he refused to do so. When asked why he couldn't open the back door he said it was policy, they were only allowed to open the rear door at the airport. Then he laughed and said that of course it had to be that way because otherwise someone could jump on without paying the fare. We're talking about a completely deserted West Street with no one else anywhere near the bus stop. Not to mention that drivers don't have passengers to serve at these stops, so they could just look into their mirrors to make sure no one jumps on. Daft policy (for the flyer router) and poor judgement from the driver in my opinion.

Anyway, there's still hope this is just them breaking in the MetroBus fleet and there will be customised vehicles brought into service later.

Rant over. Thanks for reading ;)
I believe that the actual Metrobus vehicles will be single-deckers, albeit the Flyer vehicles will run along the route so presumably will be equipped with guide bars or whatever the Bristol Metrobus vehicles will use on the guided busway sections.

The double-deckers I've seen operating the Flyer route are 17 registrations. When the current fleet was introduced in 2010 and 2011 all the vehicles were brand new so it is likely that when the double-deckers do take over the fleet they too will be brand new and suitably equipped for passengers' luggage.

The Bath A4 Air Decker vehicles are all double-deckers of course, some several years old. They do have luggage space on the lower deck and some have central and front doors both of which are used, and because they are rarely anywhere near full arriving at or leaving the airport there isn't too much of a problem with storing luggage. I use the Air Decker regularly and I've noticed that most passengers are understandably reluctant to go upstairs if they have suitcases downstairs.

The Edinburgh Airport shuttle buses between Waverley Bridge and EDI are all double-deckers with luggage space as were the DUB-Dublin city centre shuttle buses when we used them a few years ago. The GLA-Glasgow city centre shuttle buses are all single deckers.

Bristol bus drivers - don't you love 'em? Actually, many of them are very good but as in any walk of life there will be those who are unpleasant or simple jobsworths. A couple of years ago I was on the A4 Air Decker in a torrential thunder storm. We came to a halt at a red traffic light at Callington Road at the A 37 junction and I asked the driver if I could hop out as the bus stop for my next bus was just 50 yards along the A37 with a shelter. He said it was more than his job was worth to let me off between stops and instead carried me nearly a quarter of a mile to the next stop. I was soaked walking back to my next bus stop.

A few months later I was on the bus when the same driver came to a halt between stops and allowed an attractive young woman to get off. When I alighted a few stops further on I asked him if his job was now in doubt as I would be reporting him to the bus company, having reminded him of his less than charitable act in getting me a soaking. He mumbled something that I didn't catch. I had no intention of reporting him but I wanted to make a point. I haven't seen this driver for a long while. Most of the A4 drivers are helpful and friendly.

• Thanks
Reactions: tpm
My wife is a frequent user of the Flyer bus,she uses it to get from Bedminster Down in to Bedminster and Town.She has been told by one of the drivers that these buses are indeed temporary.The new buses are available but for what ever reason will not be used until the Metro is officially opened .

My wife is a frequent user of the Flyer bus,she uses it to get from Bedminster Down in to Bedminster and Town.She has been told by one of the drivers that these buses are indeed temporary.The new buses are available but for what ever reason will not be used until the Metro is officially opened .
I was in the centre of Bristol today and saw at least three of the 17 reg unmarked double deckers operating the A1 service.

I've been told this evening that these vehicles are earmarked for the MetroBus programme itself. Funnily enough, BBC Radio Bristol mentioned the other day that some of the intended MetroBus buses are being used elsewhere pro tem and they said it was in Bath. That might be so but it seems some are also being used on the A1 Flyer.

The information passed to me this evening also stated that the new permanent A1 double-deckers will be starting in the next couple of weeks. Presumably they will be airport liveried and fitted with sufficient luggage space.

When the A1 fleet was last replaced it was done in two batches: six new buses in 2010 and six in 2011. The timetable is not scheduled to reduce with the new double-decker fleet but I don't know if the entire new fleet will arrive in one go.

A2 North Somerset link

This First West of England hourly service between Weston-super-Mare and Bristol Airport is seeing a frequency cut from 14 January to a two-hourly service, then from April this year the A2 will be axed. The bus is mainly a service for local villagers (it passes through about eight of them) travelling to/from Weston although it is reasonably well used to/from the airport. I use it a lot as part of my walking trips so losing the service will be a bit of a pain, albeit there are a number of alternatives for me if not for the villagers wanting to travel to/from the airport.

First is partly blaming the airport-liveried A3 service it now operates on behalf of the airport between Weston and BRS, although this one takes a more direct route along the A370 and is of no use for villagers living on the A2 route. First says the A3 will shortly be receiving new vehicles. The current ones aren't that old.

A4 Bath Air Decker

I travelled to south Bristol on the Air Decker this afternoon. It was a brand new (67 reg) double-decker. I was told they have two new ones in their fleet.

Whilst on the subject of buses, I've just posted elsewhere how quiet BRS is in January (I was at the airport for a short time early afternoon today) so I was surprised to see about 15 people board a Stagecoach South West Falcon that was departing for stops to Plymouth. Shortly afterwards an inbound Falcon arrived from the south-west and about ten got off that. National Express 216 from Cardiff and Newport also came in about that time with around half a dozen passengers. When it began to load to return to Wales there were nearly 20 people waiting to get on. On this evidence - only a snapshot it is true - the buses to/from beyond the core catchment do all right even in the depths of mid-week winter.

A2 North Somerset Link

As previously noted this service was reduced to two-hourly frequency (from hourly) this week and will be withdrawn altogether in April. It operates between the airport and Weston calling at several villages and some years ago replaced the 121 service that operated between Bristol bus station and the airport before continuing on what is basically the A2 route to Weston. In the past few months the airport has commenced its own A3 Weston Flyer to the seaside resort that takes a different and more direct route.

I found this comment in the minutes of the Wrington Parish Council meeting of 13 December 2017.

The Chair reported that a Section 106 agreement is currently in place which suggests that once passenger numbers reach 7.3 million per annum the airport is obliged to provide funding for an enhanced 121 bus service.

If this is correct the airport might find itself having to pay for a resurrection of the 121 service between Bristol and Weston. It was rarely used for its entire length because of the much quicker and high frequency route between Bristol and Weston along the A370 (X1 and X2 services).

The parish council resolved to contact the airport and North Somerset Council about the issue.

Temple Meads closed for five days over Easter

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-temple-meads-railway-station-1115888

This is going to have a profound effect on travellers using the airport. The majority of A1 Bristol Flyer passengers seem to travel between the airport and the station. Those coming from the south-west will find their train terminating at Weston-super-Mare; those from South Wales and the Midlands at Bristol Parkway; those from the east (mainly Wiltshire) at Bath Spa.

There will be rail-repacement buses from these stations but presumably only to Temple Meads which will mean a long and convoluted journey by train, by rail replacement bus, by Flyer for airport-bound passengers, and those travelling in the opposite direction. The Bath Air Decker ought to do a good trade as should the A3 Weston Flyer.

New look airport buses join the fleet

The first of a fleet of new look larger double decker buses was unveiled at Bristol Airport this week. The vehicle forms part of a £3 million makeover which will see 12 new buses operating the Bristol Airport Flyer service from the middle of February doubling the capacity on this exceptionally popular transport link between the City Centre and the Airport.

31012018-flyerbus-656x193.ashx

The new buses will also have the capability of taking advantage of the Metrobus route guided busway when this opens later in the year.

The Flyer links the Airport to Bristol Temple Meads, Marlborough Street Bus Station and other city centre locations. The service is operated on behalf of Bristol Airport by First West of England and runs every 10 minutes at peak times.

Tickets for travel, including onward rail connections, can be booked in advance online or using the Fast Ticket machine at the Airport. The new vehicles will be equipped with the latest technology to allow contactless payments via debit/credit cards, the First Bus M-Ticket app or via Apple Pay.

The new vehicles are wheelchair and baby buggy accessible, with special racks on the lower deck to stow luggage.

Each bus features leather seats and wood-effect flooring, with some seats enjoying a table location as well as free WiFi access and USB charging points. The new vehicles will also deliver improvements in fuel efficiency and emission reductions as they are compliant with Euro 6 standards.

James Freeman, Managing Director, First West of England said:

“We are so pleased that our work with Bristol Airport has evolved these splendid new buses, which deliver much-needed extra capacity to the Flyer service. We are sure that customers will appreciate the extra seats, the extra space and the wonderful panoramic views of the city from the upper deck on the way into town especially! These are the most luxuriously-appointed buses in the West of England.”

Tom Hack, Head of Commercial at Bristol Airport, said:

“We expect in excess of around 1 million passengers to use the Flyer in 2018, and around 12% per cent of all passengers now choose the service.

“The introduction of the larger, double decker buses on the route shows our commitment to significantly improve public transports links to the Airport providing enhanced public transport services to passengers and staff."

New look airport buses join the fleet

The first of a fleet of new look larger double decker buses was unveiled at Bristol Airport this week. The vehicle forms part of a £3 million makeover which will see 12 new buses operating the Bristol Airport Flyer service from the middle of February doubling the capacity on this exceptionally popular transport link between the City Centre and the Airport.

31012018-flyerbus-656x193.ashx

The new buses will also have the capability of taking advantage of the Metrobus route guided busway when this opens later in the year.

The Flyer links the Airport to Bristol Temple Meads, Marlborough Street Bus Station and other city centre locations. The service is operated on behalf of Bristol Airport by First West of England and runs every 10 minutes at peak times.

Tickets for travel, including onward rail connections, can be booked in advance online or using the Fast Ticket machine at the Airport. The new vehicles will be equipped with the latest technology to allow contactless payments via debit/credit cards, the First Bus M-Ticket app or via Apple Pay.

The new vehicles are wheelchair and baby buggy accessible, with special racks on the lower deck to stow luggage.

Each bus features leather seats and wood-effect flooring, with some seats enjoying a table location as well as free WiFi access and USB charging points. The new vehicles will also deliver improvements in fuel efficiency and emission reductions as they are compliant with Euro 6 standards.

James Freeman, Managing Director, First West of England said:

“We are so pleased that our work with Bristol Airport has evolved these splendid new buses, which deliver much-needed extra capacity to the Flyer service. We are sure that customers will appreciate the extra seats, the extra space and the wonderful panoramic views of the city from the upper deck on the way into town especially! These are the most luxuriously-appointed buses in the West of England.”

Tom Hack, Head of Commercial at Bristol Airport, said:

“We expect in excess of around 1 million passengers to use the Flyer in 2018, and around 12% per cent of all passengers now choose the service.

“The introduction of the larger, double decker buses on the route shows our commitment to significantly improve public transports links to the Airport providing enhanced public transport services to passengers and staff."
This announcement has been in the offing for a while. When the new contract was agreed between BRS and First last spring it was mentioned then that double-deckers would replace the current fleet of single-deckers but no date was given. For the past two months or so most of the Flyer services have been operated by nearly new (17 registrations) unmarked double-deckers but one of our posters mentioned a few weeks ago that there was insufficient luggage space on them.

The previous fleet of large single-decker Volvos was adapted to include a good deal of luggage space inside each vehicle with a corresponding reduction of seats (to 37 I think). Presumably the double-deckers will be similarly adapted.

Some people are understandably reluctant to travel on the upper deck if they have large suitcases that have to be left downstairs in the luggage rack.

Good point about the upper deck, it's something I'd not considered when I read about it.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock