• Admin
The Weather Thread
LATEST.jpg
pexels-pixabay-53459.jpg
Discussions about weather...

Last edited:
I heard last night that pretty much all the UK airports were full as aircraft were either struggling to land or take off so were being diverted elsewhere, such as France. They also said it was pretty rare for the whole of the UK to be under a weather alert! Hope everyone has survived the night :)

I heard last night that pretty much all the UK airports were full as aircraft were either struggling to land or take off so were being diverted elsewhere, such as France. They also said it was pretty rare for the whole of the UK to be under a weather alert! Hope everyone has survived the night :)
It was quite interesting watching Flightradar24 last night. One Ryanair that was unable to land at Edinburgh, diverted to Stansted, while at the same time another Ryanair unable to get into Leeds Bradford diverted to Glasgow. Why the EDI flight didn't go to GLA, I have no idea. I also saw 3 flights on FR24 indicating as emergencies (the aircraft symbols show red rather than the usual yellow). All three were diverting to MAN. I read that MAN were only accepting diverts on a 'fuel and go' basis, which may have caused those flights to declare a fuel emergency.
I hope all those affected, eventually got to their destination safely. I guess that the only people rubbing their hands with glee, are the companies that produce fence posts and panels.

I wonder where you heard that? 🤔

I wonder where you heard that? 🤔

It was mentioned on the late-night news that UK airports were struggling because aircraft were struggling to land or take off and a lot of flights were being diverted with some being diverted to France instead of another UK airport, though like most journalism I wouldn't put it past them to sensationalise the story as per usual, including the mention of the whole of the UK being under a warning...

Yes this was true and not sensationalism and as I said in one of my posts yesterday, Manchester really was uniquely placed as it managed to stay open largely unimpacted. There were a number of flights that diverted to mainland Europe. One of those flights was inbound to Leeds but ended up diverting to Amsterdam.

Storm Jocelyn

Another storm due to hit later on Tuesday. Mostly affecting Northern England and Scotland.

I'm sure we didn't have storms one after another, when I was younger.

Storm Jocelyn

Another storm due to hit later on Tuesday. Mostly affecting Northern England and Scotland.

I'm sure we didn't have storms one after another, when I was younger.
I'm sure we did. They just weren't named like they are today but I do think this winter has been very windy. The alternative would've been cold and snowy or frost and fog.

Probably did. Just they were not named.

Nor did you have the met office making a song and dance out of them; or the fake news media doing everything that’s in their power to scare monger people.

People were not baby sat they just got on with it and used common sense. Even as little as 6 years ago.

The first really bad storm that I remember, was the one that the BBC famously denied was going to occur. That was back in 1987, when I would have been 23. Yes, we had windy weather prior to that, but I don't recall anything on that scale. In more recent years, storms of that ferocity have become more common, often with storm following storm, following storm. I don't care whether the storms are named or not, but I do believe that the Met Office has a duty to inform us if the storm poses a risk to buildings or to life.
I also recall much more snow when I was a youngster than we get now. 6 inches of snow was not unusual, with fresh snow falling on old snow and sometimes hanging around for a week or two. Where I grew up, the small town of Bloxwich on the Staffordshire/West Midlands border was over 700ft above sea level, which may have contributed to the snowfall. I distinctly remember when I was 18, my Dad and I clearing the cul-de-sac where we lived and the snow coming over the top of my wellies. I even went out for a driving lesson in 6 inches of snow, and no, the roads weren't clear. The winter weather has definitely changed since I was a lad.

I heard last night we've gone through so many named storms in a short period of time, compared to last year where there weren't as many named storms through the year. However, they did say that this kind of constant stormy weather has happened in the past when storms were not named.

We can't deny it's been a windy winter. The weather patterns definitely seem to have changed, or are still changing. I also recall a lot more colder winters but I also remember bigger thunderstorms and stronger winter storms when I was a child. I remember the 1987 storm for a different reason as it was the same year a huge storm (not named) battered the North of England. I remember feeling the house trembling. It was terrifying. Recent weeks has seen the US and Canada battle fridged temperatures and snow, so the climate really is acting peculiar.

I believe that this last year has been an El Nino event and looking on line, it is expected to last until April 2024. Not sure if that is what's influencing the current weather for the UK.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock