With regards to Primera, I'm not sure it would even be possible to fly to the Canaries (or even Malaga).

The Newark flight arrives into BHX at 10:30am and leaves for Newark at 17:45, giving the aircraft 7hrs 15mins. A return trip to Tenerife takes between 9.5 and 10 hours. Similarly, Malaga is approximately a 6.5hr round trip (plus 2 turnarounds at BHX - EWR-AGP & AGP-EWR).

On the other hand, a return trip to Stockholm takes 5.5 hours - so possible.

As to whether or not any potential 4th destination is long haul, I'm not sure how that can be done. 1 aircraft will be flying to Newark daily, whilst the other will be doing 4 flights per week to Boston. If Toronto is the third destination and is served 3 times per week, another aircraft would be needed to serve a 4th long haul destination (unless they made Toronto a seasonal summer destination with the 4th destination being seasonal winter).

But with Monarch now gone they might see an opportunity at BHX and get there hands on some leased aircraft ? Maybe.

Hi there BrumX, I agree with what you're saying, lease is the best way to start before buying anything in any business, because if you start to buy equipment to help you provide the service for your business to grow and expand, then cost comes in and expense may not be an option if funds or capital are not available all the time, because if you purchase aircraft at there current price and your business collapses like Monarchs has then all equipment purchased would have be sold before any creditors could be paid to what they are owed, where as leasehold means, it would go back to the leasehold company and pay off any outstanding lease agreements....AndyC

Hi there BrumX, I agree with what you're saying, lease is the best way to start before buying anything in any business, because if you start to buy equipment to help you provide the service for your business to grow and expand, then cost comes in and expense may not be an option if funds or capital are not available all the time, because if you purchase aircraft at there current price and your business collapses like Monarchs has then all equipment purchased would have be sold before any creditors could be paid to what they are owed, where as leasehold means, it would go back to the leasehold company and pay off any outstanding lease agreements....AndyC
Both have their pros and cons. If you lease aircraft you'll have to find work for them all year round. Thomas Cook are an example of that in that in winter the aircraft go to Scandavia and now Canada. If you own your aircraft then you can park a lot of them up during the winter as you don't have leases to pay. Jet2 are an example of that.

Think of what we have heard from Primera since Boston and Newark were announced.

The potential of adding a fourth long haul route, the potential to base more than two aircraft (there is a possibility of seeing double that) and the potential of some short haul routes alongside the long haul.

Lots of potential, lets hope that we hear soon :)

Hi there Ianbutty, I hope you're right with Primera, because apart from the routes they have already announced for Birmingham, there has been nothing else announced, so unless they start announcing any time soon, then a huge advertising campaign that Jet2 did, then leaving it too late this year and then early next year will too late for any benefits to be had, as the old saying goes, the early bird, catches the early worm....AndyC

Assuming the rumoured Toronto keeps the second based aircraft busy the days Boston isn’t operating then I’m guessing further based aircraft will be short haul.

A third based long haul aircraft would mean either a new route at daily frequency or two routes split and personally I can’t see any routes within the range of the A321 being viable.

Assuming the rumoured Toronto keeps the second based aircraft busy the days Boston isn’t operating then I’m guessing further based aircraft will be short haul.

A third based long haul aircraft would mean either a new route at daily frequency or two routes split and personally I can’t see any routes within the range of the A321 being viable.
They could decide do W patterns with some of their 737s without actually basing to do any short haul routes.

This would i imagine would mean 3 used on T/A and 1 on sun routes. Together with Jet2 doubling their based fleet and TUI and Thomas Cook likely to base 1 more each plus another carrier basing 1 next year (not sure if you have named them yet Ian), I would say most of the Monarch loss will have been made up,well done Routes team!

Whoa, too much information at once, slow down guys! :)

Re: Primera. In our current situation more capacity on the sun routes is certainly welcome, but is there no chance of the likes of Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen? One wonders with hindsight what Norwegian's position at BHX would be now if those had been their first 3 routes.

No idea who this new airline could be - just 1 aircraft based? Any clue on the routes?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock