Re: UK Airport News - General Thread

Government airports policy ‘long term threat to UK prosperity’

The coalition government's policy of no expansion of South East airports is a long term threat to the well being and prosperity of the UK, ABTN reports that John McEwan, CEO of the Advantage Travel Centres, said yesterday.

Speaking at the Advantage Conference on Madrid, Mr McEwan said the government had ruled there was to be no further expansion of the airports despite Heathrow being at saturation point. As 'all the pointers said aviation was going to grow in the coming years,' he asked 'so how are we going to cope? If the government does not revise its policy it will in the long term put the position of Britain under threat.’

Source

Flybe boss backs ‘Boris Island’ airport plan

The boss of budget airline Flybe, Jim French, has backed Boris Johnson's scheme for a new London airport - the so called 'Boris Island' in the Thames Estuary - and attacked the Government for scrapping plans for a third runway at Heathrow. He said that the capital must build a new airport or Britain will lose billions of pounds of business to the rest of Europe.

Mr French told the sun newspaper that the Government's decision to scrap plans for a third runway at Heathrow ‘delighted’ rivals in Europe. He said: ‘I was with Air France the day the Heathrow decision was made. They were showing me where the fifth runway was going at Charles de Gaulle, and the sixth. Every-one in Europe is absolutely delighted with what our Government has done - they are loving it. They believe they can take traffic away from us. We can't look at the next five or 10 years. We have to look at where we'll be in the next 50 years. We have to put London back on the map.’

In recent weeks Mr Johnson has challenged the Government over approving his £40 billion Thames Estuary airport project. The Mayor said such a scheme would be ‘the most powerful single statement we could make about the ambition of this country’. His favoured solution is an airport built on two platforms in the estuary connected to London by high-speed rail links. Planes would take off and land over the sea, solving the blight of noise from engines and allowing the airport to operate around the clock.

Source

Boris Island pie in the sky idea

I for one aren't too bothered if this new airport in the Themes Estuary ever gets built. British mentality means there will be too much red tape for the airport to ever get off the drawing board.

So far as this report goes suggesting that companies will take there business else where. As an on-looker from outside of London, I think companies need to start looking beyond London towards the likes of Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds and Bristol to do business instead of focusing solely on London.

As a northerner It is deeply frustrating to watch every last penny being invested in London when other cities are crying out for funds to improve infrastructure.

Border checks were relaxed at 28 ports and airports

Home Secretary Theresa May has revealed the pilot scheme to reduce passport checks on some citizens of EU countries was used at 28 ports and airports over the summer. The details emerged in a response to written questions from the chairman of the Home Affairs Committee, Keith Vaz. Mrs May also revealed that more than 10 million people entered the UK in August when the pilot scheme was operating. The 28 ports and airports at which the authorised pilot was used included Heathrow, Gatwick, Calais, Coquelles, Glasgow, Harwich, Manchester Airport, Aberdeen and Cardiff.

The information was revealed after Brodie Clark, the former head of the UK border force was suspended by Mrs May after being accused of relaxing immigration controls beyond certain limits that she had authorised. The home secretary allowed some checks on European travellers to be relaxed but says Mr Clark went further, scaling back checks on non-EU nationals without her approval. Mr Clark denies acting improperly but later resigned, saying his position had been made ‘untenable’. He is planning to sue for constructive dismissal.

Mrs May has announced there will be three inquiries into what happened, the main one led by the Chief Inspector of the UK Border Agency, John Vine. MPs on the Commons Home Affairs Committee are also conducting their own inquiry. Mr Clark is due to be questioned by MPs today.

Source

About 800 pilots from indian airlines went on strike April 27 for the reason of pay parity and better working condition and due to this strike AL looses 200 Cr.

Airline Cancellations Surpass 9,000 in U.S. on Weather

Airlines are scrapping U.S. flights again today, pushing the total past 9,000 in four days, as they struggle to rebuild schedules after fresh Midwest snow added to disruptions from last week’s Northeast storm.

Canceled departures and arrivals topped 1,500 at Chicago’s major airports, O’Hare International and Midway International, the city’s aviation department said yesterday. Snowfall in the area was forecast to be as deep as 10 inches (25 centimeters), the National Weather Service said on its website.

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-0 ... wbank.html

Southwest Airlines jet almost plunges off a CLIFF after it lands at the WRONG airport

A Southwest Airlines flight that was supposed to land at Branson Airport has instead landed at a smaller airport just outside of the southwest Missouri town.

Southwest Airlines said late Sunday in a statement that Flight 4013 was scheduled to go from Chicago's Midway International Airport to Branson Airport.

The flight instead landed nine miles north at Taney County Airport.

article-2538436-1A9DA34C00000578-873_634x468.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2qOeVCvnd

Last edited by a moderator:
Flights cancelled as air traffic controllers walk out

Passengers flying to Italy and Portugal today face delays and flight cancellations due to air traffic control strikes in Europe.

Flights to Milan, Rome, Venice and Lisbon have been particularly badly affected, with many services cancelled. British Airways, Alitalia and Ryanair flights are among those worst affected.

Read more: http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature. ... id=2009999

US issues temporary carry-on liquids ban on flights to Russia

The US government has temporarily banned carry-on liquids, aerosols, gels and powders on direct flights between Russia and the United States.

The restrictions come days after officials warned that explosives could be smuggled on flights to Russia in toothpaste tubes.

Read more: http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/07 ... hts-russia

I have seen Aviador's images of the new airport at Corvera in Spain. It's the first time I've heard of this airport. It sounds like one of the several Spanish "ghost airports" although I really don't know anything about it.

Where exactly is this airport located? Does it currently serve any scheduled flights (I presume it must do if it possesses that busy immigration hall) and is there potential for services to the UK?

jfy1999 said:
I have seen Aviador's images of the new airport at Corvera in Spain. It's the first time I've heard of this airport. It sounds like one of the several Spanish "ghost airports" although I really don't know anything about it.

Where exactly is this airport located? Does it currently serve any scheduled flights (I presume it must do if it possesses that busy immigration hall) and is there potential for services to the UK?
Ignore the above, I've now found out it's near Murcia and serves Ryanair.

Sorry jfy1999, I didn't get time to answer your original post any quicker. The new airport is a regional airport for the Murcia. It isn't operational yet but it is fully built and ready to use. The airport is undergoing various stages of certification before flights can get under way, hopefully by next summer. There are various other issues to overcome first, including wrangling over what to do with the San Javier airport. So far I am not aware of any airline that has signed up to using the new facility but it is likely most of the airlines already using the San Javier airport will move to the new airport once it has closed.

Ok then, I probably misinterpreted the source that I read about the new airport. Never mind.

What is the issue with Murcia San Javier? Inadequate facilities? Runway too short?

Anybody else read this non news story...

The £250m island airport where jets can't land because it is too windy (and guess what, your aid money is paying for it)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-t-land-windy-guess-aid-money-paying-it.html

The subject of foreign aid aside, I can't believe this story even made the press. Clearly it was a windy day when the airport opened and I have no doubt the aircraft did suffer from windshear on it's approach but every airport in the world can suffer from windshear from time to time.

Hi friends,

Here is my Trip report/Flight review of Satena airlines flight from Medellin Enrique Olaya Herrera airport(EOH) to Bogota El Dorado INTL airport(BOG) in ATR 42-500 aircraft.

This video also includes plane spotting of Easyfly airline's ATRs.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

That time of the year again. The Eurovision 2024
UTFD Step 4 here Come First Away day and the best day of my life
Technically the 14th anniversary of me working at my present job. Tuesday after the May Day bank holiday is when I started .. last Saturday was the actual anniversary.
Whipee it's Friday!
Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock