Marseille got cancelled today due to crew going over their hours.

Sadly the passengers had already checked in and reached departures.

French ATC causing problems.
Was this because the aircraft was going to be seriously delayed in its departure time from BRS because of French industrial action?

The Marseille was scheduled to depart at 1345. Looking at the arrivals board it seems either the aircaft from Split or the one from Paris CDG was due to operate the MRS - both were 319s as would have been the MRS. Split due 1255 was 42 minutes late arriving and CDG also due 1255 was 30 minutes late arriving according to the BRS website. Are crew hours so tight with easyJet that even a relatively small delay leads to crews being out of hours? The turnaround time is 50 minutes too, longer than is often the case with easyJet.

MRS was cancelled earlier in the week because of the French industrial action. If easyJet is finding crewing tight at busy times I wonder why EZY 6101 took off at 1230 for an hour's flight before returning to BRS at 1330 (actually arrived a few minutes late). Was this a fear of flying flight? Whatever it was operated whilst a scheduled rotation was cancelled.

A few years ago easyJet regularly cancelled flights (usually amongst the last rotations of the day) on summer weekends, partly it was said because of crewing issues. I hope that situation is not about to return.

Quite unsure why the MRS was really cancelled. Crew hrs was quoted to the disappointed pax. It would have been easier for ezy to blame it on the french atc strike. The BCN too declared a medical emergency on board and it landed around 12:30. The emergency with ambulance crew in attendance would have caused delays to that crafts turnaround. Dont know if that was an issue too.

Plus the strike/protest was actually in MRS airport ATC.

Quite unsure why the MRS was really cancelled. Crew hrs was quoted to the disappointed pax. It would have been easier for ezy to blame it on the french atc strike. The BCN too declared a medical emergency on board and it landed around 12:30. The emergency with ambulance crew in attendance would have caused delays to that crafts turnaround. Dont know if that was an issue too.

Plus the strike/protest was actually in MRS airport ATC.
Thanks. I agree it's easier for an airline if it blame overseas industrial action rather than crew issues as it can point the blame elsewhere (and in so doing can also avoid paying compensation under the EU regs) so perhaps it really was crewing problems. If so, my earlier observations remain.

easyJet also cancelled their Kefalonia rotation this afternoon/evening.

So what happens to the passengers then? Do they put them on other EZY flights from other airports?
I doubt there would be much room on other aircraft, especially this week at half term when most will probably be full anyway.

Apart from BRS, the only other UK routes from Marseille are Gatwick, Luton, Manchester and Glasgow and from Kefalonia the only other UK routes are Gatwick and Manchester.

If you've booked flight-only you are probably on your own and will likely only be able to claim back your air fare with hotel expenses etc not the responsibioity of easyJet. If you book an easyJet Holidays package you should get the full cost of that back if they can't transport you.

None of this is of any consolation to people who have had their holidays ruined. Very occcasionally I've known easyJet put on a special flight the following day - they did this last year when they cancelled my son's flight back from Madrid one Sunday evening. They were very good that time with overnight hotel and meals provided until a special 'rescue' flight was sent out from BRS the following morning.

At least with a package with one of the major tour companies on their own airline you usually get to your destination, even if it's a day late. This happened even with the severe snowfalls in March.

At least with a package with one of the major tour companies on their own airline you usually get to your destination, even if it's a day late. This happened even with the severe snowfalls in March.
And isn't that what Easyjet wants to become, more like Thomas Cook than a LCC, if they do they'll need to act more like them as well.

And isn't that what Easyjet wants to become, more like Thomas Cook than a LCC, if they do they'll need to act more like them as well.
I don't know that they do. I know some people have suggested a change in focus towards a more leisure-orientated operation because of the background of the new CEO but their Strategy statement (see below link) appears to suggest more of what they have been doing and building on that.

easyJet, probably more than Ryanair and certainly more than Jet2, has a strong business route network, which is coupled with an already widespread leisure route operation.

I can't see for a minute that they would back off their business routes in order to build a larger ratio of leisure destinations to operate along the lines of TUI or Thomas Cook. With short-haul business they are competing with the likes of BA's short-haul and, partly because they don't just concentrate on London within the UK, doing so successfully. BA's short-haul is now very similar to LCCs' short haul from a passenger's perspective.

easyJet's model has proved very successful for the airline and its shareholders over many years. They would be taking a big risk if they seriously tinkered with this to turn themselves into a mainly holiday airline in order to compete in an already crowded leisure market.

http://corporate.easyjet.com/about/strategy

Genoa and Seville

easyJet's new routes start tomorrow.

Genoa is on an A319 and currently the seat selector is showing a 97.4% load factor (four unoccupied seats).

Seville is on an A320 with a load factor currently showing over 92% (14 unoccupied seats).

Given easyJet's cancellations yesterday and today, let's hope that neither of these falls victim.

Young men will drink if you serve them alcohol.

Maybe the time has come to limit drinks pre flight to 1 or 2 per hour and 4 for the whole time at the airport.

For the sake of passengers who were not involved but still had their holidays ruined.

But profits will always win. £6.75 a pint is a money spinner in the summer.

£6.75 a pint is a money spinner in the summer.
One of the few money spinners the airports have. Maybe if the airlines agree to pay more then they could cut back on the alcohol sales but we know they won't so it won't happen. Other ways would be to introduce drop off fees or increase the parking fees and then people will moan about that.

One of the few money spinners the airports have. Maybe if the airlines agree to pay more then they could cut back on the alcohol sales but we know they won't so it won't happen. Other ways would be to introduce drop off fees or increase the parking fees and then people will moan about that.

I recently saw a ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- post complaining about the price of drinks/food @ Cardiff Airport. I'm sorry but you can eat before hand, or bring food from home, or get a boots meal deal if you desperately want to eat at an airport. I appreciate you're trapped in an airport and food/drink is limited but you're not forced to purchase the food/drink/alcohol.

I suppose that by the time a sufficient police presence was gathered to deal with the situation, and the bags of those ejected removed, the crew would have been out of hours if the flight had taken off later with those who had not engaged in yobbish behaviour on board.

Dealing with those affected by alcohol is never an easy call. Some can conceal the effects very well and would escape detection at the check-in and boarding stage. Restricting passengers to a certain number of drinks at an airport is very difficult to administer, especially at large airports with a number of outlets.

One way that might have a salutory effect is for an aircraft to divert to certain en route countries. A few days in a Turkish prison would soon make most of these yobs wonder about the error of their ways. Such a diversion would cost an airline a lot of money so they would not be keen on that apart from in the most exceptional circumstances. I hope they would support the captain if that path was chosen on occasions though.

The only reasonable solution is a rubber stamp on the boarding pass. 2 drinks max per hour, 2 rubber stamps and no more. Most people would be boarding in one hr. buying a round. Bring all the boarding passes.

But now that boarding passes are on phones....my solution falls flat.

I recently saw a ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- post complaining about the price of drinks/food @ Cardiff Airport. I'm sorry but you can eat before hand, or bring food from home, or get a boots meal deal if you desperately want to eat at an airport. I appreciate you're trapped in an airport and food/drink is limited but you're not forced to purchase the food/drink/alcohol.
True. In the end it is down to the individual to behave and not get drunk before they even board their flight.

Do a test on ppl before boarding,a test similar to a road side test. You would not have to check every one boarding,just ones that look as thou they had enough drink.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock