I am off to Garda for a week in August and with Verona just a few miles away I thought I’d take a look at prices seeing as BGY was coming in at £220 return and Venice £180 return. Verona came in at £466 return so it’s no wonder passengers might choose to fly elsewhere!!
Flight only or package?

I am off to Garda for a week in August and with Verona just a few miles away I thought I’d take a look at prices seeing as BGY was coming in at £220 return and Venice £180 return. Verona came in at £466 return so it’s no wonder passengers might choose to fly elsewhere!!
Last summer TUI Lakes and Mountains used a Neos B 738 for their Verona area holidays, as they have for a number of years and before that a Mistral B 737. Inghams used BM for their Verona holidays last summer - both flights on a Saturday.

This coming summer Inghams don't seem to be offering Verona from BRS. In past summers they have either taken seats on the TUI aircraft or chartered their own. Furthermore, the VRN flight this summer is on a TUI aircraft.

So perhaps the Verona region is becoming less popular as Inghams is still chartering an aircraft this summer for its Innsbruck holidays, as it has done for many years.

Was it you that said BRS were sending the CAA the passenger figures for a small airfield in Verona instead of Verona Villafranca (VRN/LIPX).

Yes Local, that was me. I believe that is what had happened, but the system has been amended recently to show the correct icao code, so we should see the correct passenger numbers from now on.

Yes Local, that was me. I believe that is what had happened, but the system has been amended recently to show the correct icao code, so we should see the correct passenger numbers from now on.
Many thanks for that, NOSIGWX

Flight only!
Guessing that's the difference between a company that wants to sell you a package and a company that wants to sell you a just the flight.
So perhaps the Verona region is becoming less popular as Inghams is still chartering an aircraft this summer for its Innsbruck holidays, as it has done for many years.
The area probably only repeat appeal for for a limited amount of people and with the amount of Italian destinations and flights for the whole South West area increasing it might be diluting the passengers on that route for Inghams
With Innsbruck the pax might still be there.

CAA Stats for January 2018 published.

Terminal & Transit 486,483 up 3% on January 2017

As NOSIGWX rightly said figures for VRN - Verona have finally been recitified :)

Rolling 12-month total at end of January is 8,246,848 up 7.5% on a year ago.

CAA Stats for February 2018 published......

Feb Pax 517,201 up 5.6%

Rolling 12 months Pax 8,274,458 up 7.2%

Feb Atm 4,246 up 2.9%

Rolling 12 months Atm's 64,016 up 3.3%

http://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/...t_data_2018_02/Airport_Statistics_Summary.pdf
It's a good start to the year particularly bearing in mind the big percentage rises of January and February in both 2016 and 2017 (average 13.9% across those months) meaning the base figures are now that much higher.

8.6-8.7 mppa looks a good bet for this year with 2019 having a good chance of getting to 9 mppa so long as Brexit or some other event doesn't impact negatively on aviation.

March 2018

No CAA stats yet but BRS has published its own figures today which show 547,903 passengers in the month, a drop of 2.96% on March 2017. The 400-plus flights that were cancelled in March because of the snow have clearly played a part.

This is the first monthly drop in passsenger numbers since March 2014 which saw a tiny drop of 0.2% and April 2013 saw a drop of 0.7%. Both were the result of Easter being in a different month the previous year. Let's see if the Bristol Post gets hold of this drop and preaches doom and gloom.

I'd originally expected a drop because of the snow but on reflection and taking into account a strong February I thought the figures might just be on the positive side.

The biggest drop was on domestic flights as well . Any particular reason that domestic flights were more affected than international or charter services ?

The biggest drop was on domestic flights as well . Any particular reason that domestic flights were more affected than international or charter services ?
Didn't Scotland and Newcastle get a lot of snow? Also it's probably easier to cancel the shorter rotations and free up crews and time I'd have thought. BA cancels loads of domestic flights the first hint of trouble at LHR as an example.

Didn't Scotland and Newcastle get a lot of snow? Also it's probably easier to cancel the shorter rotations and free up crews and time I'd have thought. BA cancels loads of domestic flights the first hint of trouble at LHR as an example.
As Jerry says, Scotland was particularly affected by snow with airports closed on a number of days, with NCL and BFS also affected. Scheduled domestic flights saw a 16% drop in passenger numbers but scheduled international only 1.2%. Charter passenger numbers were up over 13%. Charter airlines usually operate even if a day or even two days late.

|Domestic was badly affected by bad weather day after day. it seemed like months like that.It affected every airport north of Manchester one way or another.

Again BRS did not feature in the first release of CAA monthly airport stats, this time for March 2018 that were released today.

As an aside, I was looking at Palma Airport stats recently and found that BRS featured in its top 20 busiest routes in 2017, carrying 341,000 passengers. BRS was position 19 behind LGW, MAN, STN, BHX and EMA of the UK airports (the other UK top 20 airport was NCL).

PMI handled just under 28 million passengers in 2017 with the top four all German airports (DUS was top with 1.277 million passengers). In all the top 20 was made up of nine German airports, seven UK, two Swiss, one Danish and one Swedish.

BRS have released their pax figures for April. 693452 an increase of 27924 on last year or 4.2%.
Still awaiting CAA stats for April - for any airport!

Looking through Mayfly for this week I believe it is probably the first week in the airport's history where every day of the week is seeing at least 100 departures:

Monday 112 plus 4 Airbus corporate shuttle and 2 BAE corporate shuttle
Tuesday 102 plus 3 Airbus corporate shuttle and 2 BAE corporate shuttle
Wednesday 102 plus 4 Airbus corporate shuttle and 2 BAE corporate shuttle
Thursday 111 plus 2 Airbus corporate shuttle and 2 BAE corporate shuttle
Friday 110 plus 4 2 BAE corporate shuttle
Saturday 100
Sunday 106

Well with all these flights cancelled for 1 reason or another over the last few weeks. Im not looking forward to the pax ststs as I recon this will be the first month of no increase in pax numbers for quite a few years.
If there is an increase in numbers it will be a small per centage.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock