I'm sure you're right there with regards to Jet2. The lack of European bases would make it difficult to utilise Bristol airport at quieter times. If Bristol is full during the morning rush, it will make it all but impossible for them to start a new operation from there. Ryanair on the other hand has an abundance of bases throughout the EU so it makes it easy for them to operate into UK airports during the quieter periods
It may well be Ryanair's dilemna at BRS in that they can't get the charges they want but if they pulled the based aircraft and flew the routes from EU bases it may be cheaper but it could mean that now that they might not get the morning slots back again and be able to base more aircraft if they wanted to in the future because Jet2 could move right in. With South Wales right on the doorstep a 3-4 aircraft base would probably do quite well at BRS.
I think the time may be ripe for a third low cost airline
That's one thing I can't work out about Jet2 is it a low cost or a holiday airline? All the routes it's setup at STN and BHX suggest it's moving towards a holiday airline.

where does this FR thing come from.at this timeFR are not in dispute with brs. if you read back in the forum you will see they had adisput about a few things,but the got sorted.

where does this FR thing come from.at this timeFR are not in dispute with brs. if you read back in the forum you will see they had adisput about a few things,but the got sorted.
I mentioned that I had read on another forum (Dried Plum to be precise) that Ryanair and BRS had yet to sort out the base charges. The theme was taken up by someone on a Welsh airline forum although that might have been repeating the DP post. I said I had heard no rumours and was not at all certain there is a dispute - someone adding 2 and 2 and making 5 was the way I put it.

The 2013 dispute was certainly real and when the base was reduced from 5 to 2 aircraft BRS benefited to the extent that Ryanair brought in a lot of inbounds and outbounds from other bases in the quieter mid evening period.

I'm not aware that BRS itself is slot-constrained. Aircraft parking might be an issue but there are plans with planning permission in place for more aircraft parking stands. I don't think the night time quota is too much of a problem these days. For starters there are very few night charter flights compared with 10-15 years ago, although Ryanair and easyJet (particularly) do have quite a lot of arrivals between 2330 and 0200 in summer.

it's unlikely that 10 mppa, which the management seems convinced will come in the next few years, could be achieved without some more based aircraft so I have no doubt that contingency measures are in place.

As I've said, I believe that the current reduction in Ryanair frequencies on some routes next summer is par for the course at BRS at this stage of the cycle leading to the next summer's programme. In the past the frequencies have been increased as the season approaches. There might be slight reductions in August (compared with this summer) on Faro given that CWL and NQY have FAO flights for the first time.

Winter 2016-2017

As earlier reported Ryanair has increased its output at BRS this coming winter by 25%. There will be 69 weekly rotations compared with 55 last winter. The total number of destinations is 19, an increase of four over last winter.

All last winter’s routes will operate plus Bucharest (a brand new route from the airport that begins in November), Krakow (commenced in the summer), Venice Marco Polo and Bergamo, the last two becoming year-round routes. ‘Venice’ Treviso was switched to Venice MP during the latter part of this summer doubtless to compete with easyJet as is the case with Krakow.

Below is the number of weekly flights on each route with last winter’s figures shown in brackets alongside.

Alicante 5 (4) M W Th F Su

Malaga
6 (5) M Tu Th F Sa Su

Las Palmas 1 (1) Sa

Tenerife 3 (3) Tu Th Sa

Arrecife 4 (3) M W F Su

Faro 3 (2) Tu Th Su

Malta 2 (2) W Su

Budapest 3 (3) Tu Th F

Kaunas 2 (2) M F

Bucharest 1 (-) W

Gdansk 2 (2) M F

Poznan 2 (2) W Sa

Wroclaw 2 (2) W Su

Warsaw Mod 4 (3) Tu Th Sa Su

Rzeszow 2 (2) M F

Krakow 3 (-) M W F

Bergamo 3 (-) Tu Th Sa

Venice MP 2 (-) Tu Sa

Dublin 19 (19) 3 x daily M-F, 2 x daily Sa and Su

There are additional flights to most destinations in the latter part of December and early January with, for example, Bucharest operating 2 x weekly (W and Sa) for a four-week period then.

This seems to be Ryanair’s busiest winter at BRS, in the number of both flights and destinations, since the base opened in November 2007.

how many air frames will be based at brs.

Based on timings for November, 27 of the 69 weekly rotations will be operated by aircraft from other bases, leaving 42 of the rotations to be operated by BRS-based aircraft.

This is a far higher percentage of BRS-based aircraft than last winter (2015-2016) when only 22 of the 55 weekly rotations were operated by BRS-based aircraft.

The timings suggest that three based aircraft will be required to operate the timetable, although as with last winter when a maximum of two was required, the three this winter will not be occupied throughout the entirety of every day, but from the numbers it is obvious that each aircraft's daily utilisation will be higher than last winter.

Re earlier posts discussing summer 17 and the fact that Ryanair appears to have no additional flights to some destinations in the main summer months as it did this summer and in previous years, a poster on another web site says that they haven't yet loaded the summer peaks at any airport.

July 2016

A post I made in another thread referring to very high load factors not necessarily guaranteeing a route's continuation, especially with Ryanair, I had a look at the BRS Ryanair routes for July.

Reus 4221 passengers, average load 162.3, load factor 85.9%
Girona
9247, 177.8, 94.1%
Castellon
3155, 175.3, 92.7%
Las Palmas
6627, 184.1, 97.4%
Bergerac
3933, 163.9, 86.7%
Beziers
5459, 170.6, 90.3%
Limoges
4680, 167.1, 88.4%
Chania
4406, 169.5, 89.7%
Bologna
3216, 178.7, 94.5%
Bergamo
4662, 179.3, 94.9%
Treviso
4523, 174.0, 92.1% competed with easyJet to Venice Marco Polo
Malta 4737, 182.2, 96.4%
Budapest
4897, 184.9, 97.8%
Kaunas
3387, 188.2, 99.6%
Gdansk
3367, 187.1, 99.0%
Poznan
3352, 186.2, 98.5%
Rzeszow
3358, 186.6, 98.7%
Wroclaw
4876, 174.1, 92.1%
Warsaw Modlin
4872, 187.4, 99.1% competed with Wizz Air to Warsaw Chopin
Knock 5092, 141.4, 74.8%

I could not ascertain details on Alicante, Malaga, Palma, Ibiza, Tenerife, Arrecife, Faro or Krakow as Ryanair competes with easyJet on these routes, nor Dublin where Aer Lingus Regional (Stobart) competes.

By far the lowest load factor is Knock, and it gets a bit lower in the summer shoulder months, but this route has been running in summer every year since the BRS base opened in 2007. It was a year-round route in the early years. Given that BRS has lost some Ryanair routes in the past that enjoyed far higher monthly load factors than Knock it does illustrate that loads are not the be-all, end-all.

Ryanair officially launched East Midlands summer 2017. So that leaves ourselves and Bournemouth to be officially launched. So far every uk base has had something new at least.

Ryanair officially launched East Midlands summer 2017. So that leaves ourselves and Bournemouth to be officially launched. So far every uk base has had something new at least.

Let's hope so but the new East Midlands routes were announced a few weeks ago and have been 'formally' included in the official summer 17 launch today.

On that basis one might have expected/hoped that any new route(s) for BRS that Ryanair was planning would already have been put into the public domain even though the official launch of the summer 17 programme was still to come.

BRS has a very hefty increase for the coming winter - up 25% on last winter in terms of flights, with a number of new winter routes although Bucharest is the only entirely new FR route at BRS. Perhaps BRS had its combined Christmas and birthday in the winter and might be the Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot next summer.:unsure:

Good news. I seem to remember that Reus was late coming on stream for summer 16. If there are no more routes - there is one in Ryanair-speak, Bucharest, because it won't have operated in summer before - then perhaps frequencies will be increased even over last summer when many of the peak summer frequencies in particular were high.

Extra summer flights currently being loaded. Reus now being loaded etc
Reus now loaded and Bergerac which were the two from summer 16 that were missing. They were loaded late for summer 16 too.

All routes from summer 16 now operating plus Bucharest which gives a total of 30.

Since the first version of next summer's schedules was published last month Ryanair has increased some frequencies in the past couple of days:

Faro is up by 3 x weekly in August to 10 x weekly (still short of August 16's 12 x weekly)
Alicante is up by 2 x weekly in July and August making 10 x weekly in both months
Palma is up by 1 x weekly in August to 10 x weekly
Tenerife is up by 1 x weekly in July and August making 4 x weekly in both months

I doubt that this will be the final schedule. If previous years are anything to go by more rotations will be added on a number of routes before the final jigsaw is complete.

Re my previous post, although easyJet has only published its schedule until the latter part of June, they go
15 x weekly on Faro (d/d plus 3 x weekly on Sats); 14 x weekly on Alicante (d/d); 13 x weekly on Palma (d/d except Sats which are single daily); 4 x weekly on Tenerife.

I think this was the schedule for these routes in summer 16. They are unlikely to be reduced when July, August and September are published.

Looking at the improved summer schedule it does look like we are losing a based aircraft with many more flights coming from other bases. In some ways not too bad a thing but sometimes a based aircraft can give you route options to destinations that are not Ryanair bases such as Rhodes for example

Looking at the improved summer schedule it does look like we are losing a based aircraft with many more flights coming from other bases. In some ways not too bad a thing but sometimes a based aircraft can give you route options to destinations that are not Ryanair bases such as Rhodes for example

Not good for local Ryanair crews but more flights operated by non-based aircraft should ease overcrowding a tiny bit at peak times for both passengers and aircraft stand availability.

Ryanair has over 80 bases so if it wants to offer a new destination for BRS there are a lot of options there. In 2012, I think it was, it did seem that Ryanair was going to increase the base to six aircraft, and new routes, timings and flight numbers had been put into the 'system' but not released publicly. I remember that Rhodes was amongst the routes and Biarritz (once operated by easyJet) and Zadar were others. I think Murcia might also have been in there (against easyJet) and there were some others that I've forgotten, but I don't think they would have been new routes to BRS as an airport, only for Ryanair at BRS.

I'm surprised that easyJet hasn't tried Rhodes which always seemed to me to be a bit under-served by the charter airlines, although summer 2016 did see a noticeable improvement with, for example, July seeing nearly 5,500 passengers, up 44% on the previous July. easyJet does operate to Rhodes from both Newcastle and Liverpool as well as from Gatwick.

Given that easyjet and Ryanair seem to co-exist on a number of routes I'm surprised that Ryanair hasn't introduced Rome. Barcelona Berlin and Madrid from Bristol.

Given that easyjet and Ryanair seem to co-exist on a number of routes I'm surprised that Ryanair hasn't introduced Rome. Barcelona Berlin and Madrid from Bristol.
I wonder how long some of these routes will last in their present form under a Ryanair/easyJet duopoly.

The sun routes such as ALC, AGP, PMI, FAO, TFS, ACE and now LPA have for the most part co-existed apparently successfully for a number of years in respect of most of them.

In the past year or so though the airlines have decided to go head to head with some other types of route. This summer Ryanair commenced a Krakow service against easyJet's long-standing route to that city and easyJet restarted Venice Marco Polo after several years' absence against Ryanair's 'Venice' Treviso, but they've now switched to MP to go against easyJet- directly. Wizz Air have also challenged Ryanair by starting Warsaw Chopin against Ryanair's Warsaw Modlin.

All these routes will now operate year-round. Thus far load factors have been very high on all the competed routes for all the airlines concerned, but we don't know yields, and I do wonder whether, for example, next summer's Venice MP is not overkill with both easyJet and Ryanair increasing frequencies to 6 x weekly and 4 x weekly respectively.

Ryanair have finally announced their summer 2017 schedule from bristol. No surprises. Claiming Venice a new route and Bucharest a new route

Thanks Marko. I note that Ryanair is claiming a 5% increase but the wording is loose in that 2017 is mentioned. This could take into account the 25% increase for this winter which will obviously boost Ryanair figures for January to March.

When I last checked (19 October) some routes were slightly down on summer 2016 in some months although, as I said then, the airline had already increased some frequencies from the original timetable (as it seems to do every year) and may well increase others by the time the season begins.

Typical Ryanair-speak to claim Bucharest and Venice as new routes. Bucharest begins this winter and they've merely moved their longstanding Bristol-Treviso route to Bristol-Marco Polo to compete directly with easyJet and, of course, Bristol-Marco Polo is already operating and will do so through the winter so it's not even a new summer route.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock