He’s
With the news today that DSA will reopen sooner rather than later this strikes me as a perfect opportunity for Jet2.

A complete blank canvas, Jet2 could strike a deal with the councils that will be operating the airport, get in there before anyone else, and make it their home.

Moving the home base down to DSA would offer so much more potential to grow and really take a hold of the market, providing more space to develop on as well as better facilities already in place. At a much better located and more modern airport without the restrictions of LBA, and potentially huge financial advantages that would come with striking a deal.

In essence they could do what they wanted with the region.

I know some of the LBA supporters on this forum won’t particularly like the idea, but financially and logically this makes so much sense

He’s absolutely right. Under the correct operator this airport could thrive. Jet2 onboard would make it fantastic. Talks are in motion with many of the larger carriers with deals and incentives planned and negotiated. Jet2 works at Leeds, it could also work at DSA,EMA,BHX. Leeds is great, also has plenty of negatives as do most airfields. Let’s be kind folks!

He’s

He’s absolutely right. Under the correct operator this airport could thrive. Jet2 onboard would make it fantastic. Talks are in motion with many of the larger carriers with deals and incentives planned and negotiated. Jet2 works at Leeds, it could also work at DSA,EMA,BHX. Leeds is great, also has plenty of negatives as do most airfields. Let’s be kind folks!
I’m not sure how you would know what kind of talks, negotiations or incentives are planned and in motion because the operator hasn’t been announced yet, and there are various stores doing the rounds about who it might be and what they might be intending for the site.

The point recently announced though, is that Jet2 are planning no more bases in the UK. I know others have steadfast ruled it out on here, I would be careful not to purely because we don’t know what’s being discussed nor whether jet2 could be swayed by a significant package and access to a terminal. However, some of us can judge general feeling from the inside and that is generally that it’s a no go due to reasons mentioned and solidified by Steve Heapy himself yesterday.

Yes they could be marketing to easyjet TUI Ryanair Wizz whoever, but in actual fact deals and incentives are just a small part in the wider issue of attracting traffic. The main one is are there enough passengers to enable it to fill flights profitably, will the operation have a negative impact on established routes from other airports, and will they be likely to stick around. History would dictate it’s a huge risk.

Welcome by the way, it’s good to see alternative views on this forum.

He’s

Welcome to the forum but I have to say I disagree with most of your points

The Airport hasn’t even reopened and we don’t know whether it ever will so I’m not sure how they can be talking to airlines when the airport itself is still closed.

Jet2 have ruled out more bases so can’t see them ever heading to DSA plus they already fly out of BHX and EMA. Most likely TUI would go back.

Wizz have said they’re happy with LBA and would not move back if DSA did open aswell.

Welcome to Forums4airports @LS1991 thanks for joining in the dabate so we can hopefully see things from the pro-DSA viewpoint.

You say @89LS is absolutely right, so please can you elaborate on why you think that, and why you think Jet2 would upsticks for Doncaster lock stock and barrel as @89LS suggested?

One of the things that stands out with reading DSA supporter comments is the amount of hopes pinned on Jet2 and even a Jet2 move from LBA to DSA.

Sadly for DSA the business that it did have has now been dispersed to neighbouring airports. The investment moved by Wizz Air to LBA and by TUI to EMA and MAN, Investment in the way of aircraft, employment and so on.

TUI will never admit to making a mistake when they originally opened a DSA base but the prospect of a reopening of the base at a further cost to them is even more unrealistic and doubtful.

May I also welcome rabbitfoot to the forum especially as they are a supporter of DSA. It is good to hear other members views on the benefits of a reopened DSA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will ask once again to stick to Jet2 in this thread .... please.
That might prove difficult for the DSA fraternity given Jet2 dont operate to DSA and probably never will even if it reopens. So what is there to say other than speculate and wish. At best, unless Jet2 reverse their statement that there will be no more bases, this thread is doomed to be a somewhat repetitive dialogue, with DSA supporters dreaming and those who offer a dose of reality criticised for being negative.

That might prove difficult for the DSA fraternity given Jet2 dont operate to DSA and probably never will even if it reopens. So what is there to say other than speculate and wish. At best, unless Jet2 reverse their statement that there will be no more bases, this thread is doomed to be a somewhat repetitive dialogue, with DSA supporters dreaming and those who offer a dose of reality criticised for being negative.
At the moment I would be cautious to never say never. The company is in a state of flux at the moment and they’ll have a load of 737’s that will need to be based somewhere.. They have been quite clear in their intention not to open any more bases, yet we were told LPL would never happen a week before it was announced!!

At the moment I would be cautious to never say never. The company is in a state of flux at the moment and they’ll have a load of 737’s that will need to be based somewhere.. They have been quite clear in their intention not to open any more bases, yet we were told LPL would never happen a week before it was announced!!
I did say 'probably' and if it happens then this thread won't be quite so pointless. However, I still can't see it happening . Maybe they'll surprise us all. Maybe they won't.

For DSA to even have a glimmer of survival a second time around Jet 2 and TUI both being successful would be a must in my opinion however unlikely, first time around the cost of holidays with TUI at DSA made Manchester along with Birmingham and EMA the choice for a sizeable enough proportion of people how many who knows that would not change in my opinion without a Jet 2 presence, like I put elsewhere me personally I was priced out my local airport time and time again to the extent that Gatwick and Stansted were options I took to fly from over DSA I know this is a problem for other regional airports but in my humble opinion the situation was quite frighteningly bad that Gatwick was an option.

I did say 'probably' and if it happens then this thread won't be quite so pointless. However, I still can't see it happening . Maybe they'll surprise us all. Maybe they won't.
I’m not throwing any weight behind it, I just wouldn’t be comfortable saying they’ll never look it at. Still personally don’t believe there is any intention of using DSA, doesn’t seem a strategically advantageous move unless they were to drop EMA and try to focus on the East Midlands and SY market. It’s still a bit too close to two bases to be of any value and would need a lot of concession to enable it.

The gaps in Jet2s UK market now are Aberdeen and possibly Newquay, because they are now saying over 50 million people live within 90 minutes of a jet2 base.

They have looked at DSA. and looked away straight after. The demographic isn't there, the catchment area isn't there. The only airline that will end up in DSA is TUI with an expensive / measly operation and wont bring any profit to the airport.

They have looked at DSA. and looked away straight after. The demographic isn't there, the catchment area isn't there. The only airline that will end up in DSA is TUI with an expensive / measly operation and wont bring any profit to the airport.
Surely if TUI were the only airline to end up at DSA it won't reopen no operator is going to take it on with just 2 Excel and TUI commited with a sprinkling on top that would be suicidal, without knowing the operator and the relationships they have and maths they've done I think it's a little unfair to just say no airline would think about it however unlikely it may be the airport reopened and actually succeeded operators have and still are exploring all options and surely doing an exceptional amount of due diligence?.

Whatever anyone else thinks if an operator is going to step forward and take this project on they are going to do it in the belief they can succeed and I wish them a very lot of luck attempting it it will be a very brave decision.

With few airlines left on our shores even if Jet 2 have said never or whoever else for that matter the operator has got to at least try to woo easy, Jet 2 or Ryanair to be on board with a successful operation how that's possible I'm not sure anyone really believes it is but I've stated elsewhere previously however unlikely Jet 2 maybe they are the only airline I think would openly look to build and succeed and stick at it longer than either loco.

As for TUI and a measly operation I think you will find for a regional airport the size of DSA it wasn't actually a measly operation at all obviously helped by no competition but that's a very unfair statement in regards to TUI at DSA.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock