ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Airport Experience [Questions & Reviews]

Discussion in 'Heathrow' started by Aviador, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Aviador

Aviador Administrator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    Heathrow ‘worst airport in the world’

Heathrow Airport has been voted the worst airport in the world for the second year running, according to a global poll of frequent fliers. The survey of members of Priority Pass, the independent airport lounge programme, included responses from 160 countries, with respondents taking an average of 17 flights in the past year.

The result is a repeat of last year’s survey, when Heathrow was voted worst as it sought to recover from problems with the opening of Terminal 5, which saw passengers suffer lengthy delays and a huge number of lost bags. This year Paris Charles de Gaulle was voted second worst, followed by Los Angeles, Frankfurt and Miami airports.

Source

Do people think this is a fair, is Heathrow really so bad? Personally I have only visited the place once and I have to admit that it seemed a bit of a nightmare to navigate around the place. I couldn't help but notice Paris, Frankfurt and Los Angeles in the list as well which make me wonder it it's just a case of people not liking big airports?

2. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

Re: London Heathrow - Passenger & Frequent Flyers

I think that's the heart of the matter.

Because more people use these airports there is going to be a bigger group in numbers if not in overall percentages who will whinge.

It would be fairer to grade the 'league table' as a percentage of overall passenger numbers in each case, but I suspect they've just gone for the most people complaining.

3. jason1-11

jason1-11 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Flying Palermo - Milan Linate - Heathrow this Saturday with Aliatalia. Came out via Rome on an A320 and then a A321 onto Sicily.

Shame my bag didn't make the connection, but were reunited the next day.

a300boy and Aviador like this.
  4. lbaspotter

lbaspotter Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I'm going to be in London on Monday, Feb 5th and wondered if anyone can give me a little advice as to how to get to some of the spotting area's around the airfield using Public Transport?
    I'll be arriving at Heathrow rail station at about 10am on the Heathrow Express from Paddington. Will be spotting until around 4pm as I will then need to go check-in at Terminal 5 for the 5:30 BA1344 service back to Leeds/Bradford

Jerry likes this.
  5. Seasider

Seasider Premium Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    If they are landing from the east - 27L. From Hatton Cross Tube Station. On exit turn right, cross A30 then walk along for approx 800m until "grassy" area on left, the houses are in Myrtle Ave. If they are landing 27L there will be plenty of people here. If landing 27R, turn left outside Hatton Cross, to Bus Station, bear right to bus shelter on "relief road". Here catch bus (can't remember number) that go to the Terminals. It will go round the maintenance hangars and then parallel to 27R approach. Alight before the road swings right to go under the approach.
    If they are using 09L/09R. Go to Terminal 5 bus station and walk northwards to come out from underneath the terminal, following road round to left and there is a grassy area where you will see everything (fine for photos) that lands on 09L. I don't know of a public transport service for 09R.
    Note: bus services around the Terminals and Hatton Cross Tube/Bus Station are free even if you don't have a pass.

Jerry likes this.
  6. aviatorconcorde

aviatorconcorde Active Member

Couple of reviews from my flights in and out of LHR!

Jerry and TheLocalYokel like this.
  7. aviatorconcorde

Another one from me I uploaded this morning.

Had some issues with quality on this one so I salvaged what I could.

8. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks for that! I've never used Terminal 5 so it was interesting to see what it was like inside it's also been a very long time since I've used Heathrow. Even though it was 4.30 i was surprised by how quiet it was.

Aviador likes this.
  9. aviatorconcorde

Thanks for watching Jerry. Glad you enjoyed.

I'm quite a fan of T5. It's an impressive structure which generally seems to remain clean and is also airy. I'm led to believe the newer Terminal 2 isn't as good as T5 and is a bit discounted, i've not flown from Terminal 2 so I cannot comment!

Yes was certainly very quiet. May of been the earliest I've ever been in an airport but i'm wondering if i've been in CWL earlier for the first KLM departure of the day. I have a 2:30am departure from Bangkok coming up so i'm not sure if that is early or late!?

a300boy and Jerry like this.
  10. Jerry

Media:
    Albums:
    I've been at CWL for 4 am for the 6 am AMS departure and that was more busy than T5 looked! 2.30 is just a stupid time! My next flight is a 7 am departure so not too bad.

11. TheLocalYokel

Thanks again ac. Another enjoyable video. It has to be an exceptionally good reason for me to venture out at stupid o'clock any more.

a300boy, Jerry and Aviador like this.
  12. aviatorconcorde

Yeah I've taken the early departure before so I must of been at CWL for a similar Sort of time before.

2.30 is a silly time but it will be straight through to cardiff to arrive at 12.50 so plenty of time to sleep!

No problem! Thanks for watching again and glad you enjoyed it!

I don't try to make a habit out of early morning departures, I haven't got a problem with getting up early but I do feel drained and tired by about mid afternoon (like on that Madrid trip!). I only usually go for an early morning departure for price or practicality reasons.

Jerry likes this.
  13. aviatorconcorde

Another video from me today. Heathrow to Luxembourg in British airways Club Europe.

Aviador, TheLocalYokel and Jerry like this.
  14. TheLocalYokel

Another excellent video. Many thanks. Any idea of the reason for the aborted landing?

aviatorconcorde likes this.
  15. aviatorconcorde

Thanks all for watching!

Yeah apparently they weren't 100% sure if they were cleared to land or not.

TheLocalYokel likes this.
  16. aviatorconcorde

Trip report LHR-DOH.

Aviador, TheLocalYokel and Jerry like this.
  17. TheLocalYokel

Another first-rate and enjoyable trip report video. Make you wonder why, if loads aren't that great, they have two flights within an hour of each other. Perhaps the load on this trip was not typical.

18. Jerry

Media:
    Albums:
    I imagine that with a route like LHR-DOH it's the frequency that is key. Similar to the LHR-NYC route.

19. TheLocalYokel

How many Qatar LHR-DOH flights are there each day? I think that Emirtes has six, might be five, each day to Dubai. I would no think Qatar has this many each day to Doha which is why I expressed surprised at two departures so close together.

20. aviatorconcorde

Thanks for watching everyone and your kind comments TLY! Much appreciated. Perhaps just a one off? You'd hope anyway flying a plane of that size around.

I just looked at Kayak and if i'm correct, Qatar Airways are 6 daily to LHR. They're operating the A350, A380 and 77W into
    LHR with 2 of each plane per day.

I believe Emirates are about to reduce to 5 daily down from 6 to LHR on a tempoary basis. I also think when BA get their 787's issues ironed out they are supposed to be re introducing LHR-DOH on BA metal. Will be interesting to see if a Qatar flight is replaced or the route will go to a whopping 7 daily flights as they operate in a joint venture.

I sometimes find it fascinating how LHR can sustain all of this traffic via the ME hubs and the direct routings to destinations in the east also. Just shows what a powerful market London is.

TheLocalYokel and Aviador like this.