Not a good day for CWL. This must effect the profits of the Flybe operation with the constant diversions. Seems to be quite a lot this year. I read a post on a Cardiff airport Social Media page which suggested that the ILS needs to be upgraded. The poster mentioned that BRS gets worse weather but seems to get less diversions than CWL possibly because of a better ILS system I honestly don't know if that is true. I suppose % of traffic of the airport wise CWL's diversions will be a lot higher than BRS.
Unfortunately, the CAA has ceased to print its diversions tables which some years made surprising reading when it came to the airports that suffered. Some of those that were believed to be the worst offenders (BRS and LBA are usually among the chief suspects) did not always live up to their reputations, when it came to a percentage analysis.

BRS does have Cat3b ILS on its westerly runway (27) - I believe that Cat3c is theoretically possible but I'm not aware of any airport that has it - and this has been a great help as I'm sure pilots and ATC would confirm. Diversions still take place on occasions under Cat3 operations though, when for example aircraft are not fitted with compatible equipment - usually the smaller jets and turbo-props as was apparently the case with the three diversions at BRS today.

If there is an easterly wind at BRS and visibility is poor then diversions usually result because Cat3 is not installed for the easterly runway (09) owing to the topography of the ground on approach which I understand could trigger false indications.

CWL does not have Cat3. if it had the TOM B738 that diverted to BRS would have been able to land. I assume the Flybe E195s are Cat3-compliant too, as well as the Vueling Airbuses.

Nearly 20 years ago the A38 outside BRS was diverted away from the airport for over half a mile in an arc, partly I believe to accommodate the installation of Cat3 ILS.

Maybe that can be the next bit of investment for CWL to get it to Cat3 ILS.

CWL's turn for some diverts this morning. This morning's Stobart Air and FR DUB-BRS have just diverted in.

FR's KRK is holding above BRS in addition to a couple of others.

Quite a few more diverting in today:

Landing at 08:17 is Dublin>Bristol diversion RYR504 "Ryanair 2B" B738 EI-EVT ..parking on stand 12 -departed at 13:05 to Dublin as RYR505 "Ryanair 505"

Landing at 08:20 is Dublin>Bristol diversion EI3280 "Stobart 8DR" AT76 EI-FCZ ..parking on stand 14- departed at 13:10 to Dublin as EI3281 "Stobart 81CM"

Landing at 08:46 is Aberdeen>Bristol diversion BMI1800 "Midland 1800" E145 G-EMBJ ..parking on stand 15- departed at 12:45 to Bristol as BMR9211 "Midland 9211"

Landing at 08:52 is Krakow>Bristol diversion RYR7227 "Ryanair 7227" B738 EI-FIF ..parking on stand 17- departed at 14:03 to Krakow as RYR7226 "Ryanair 7226"

Landing at 09:10 is Warsaw>Bristol diversion RYR4136 "Ryanair 27EW" B738 EI-EKA ..parking on stand 16- departed at 13:18 to Bristol as RYR4136 "Ryanair 41"

Landing at 10:10 is Brussels>Bristol diversion SN2055 "Beeline 5RS" E145 G-EMBI ..parking on stand 5- departed at 12:49 to Bristol as SN9905 "Beeline 9905"

Landing at 10:14 is Belfast>Bristol diversion EZY444 "Easy 18UJ" A319 G-EZDM ..parking on stand 4- departed at 12:59 to Bristol as EZY444 "Easy 444"

Landing at 10:18 is Edinburgh>Bristol diversion EZY422 "Easy 13PC" A320 G-EZOP ..parking on stand 10- departed at 13:26 to Bristol as EZY422 "Easy 422"

Landing at 11:45 is Palma>Bristol diversion EZY6040 "Easy 6040" A320 G-EZOM ..parking on stand 13- departed to Bristol at 13:36 as EZY6040 "Easy 6040"

EDIT: 15:06- PMI Divert and information on departing diverts

Full credit to SWAG for the information

Last edited:
It's difficult at BRS today. Easterly runway is the active one - no Cat 3 ILS. Apart from the CWL diversions several have also gone to Exeter and in between others have been landing. The promised sunshine has been absent although there are small signs of the muck lifting - at least seven miles from BRS where I live and I can now see the top of Dundry Hill through the gloom.

Today's 15.55 LCY departure has been cancelled because it looks like it did the JER rotation instead of one of the E195s.

Just wondering but as CWL had 4 Ryanair diversions yesterday if that is apart of the new agreement that Roger Lewis mentioned in his interview to announce the Faro route, didn't they used to go to BHX before that?

The 07.45 BE LCY departure was cancelled due to fog at LCY.

FR has been diverting to BHX from BRS since the Faro announcement. Maybe it's now kicked in. I don't think BHX had weather problems yesterday morning.

Usually when BRS weather isn't great, neither is CWL's, so BHX would be the next best option. Historically yes, FR would probably avoid CWL. Now the relationship has improve i'm sure CWL wouldn't be the favourite, but would be in the mix of CWL, BHX and EXT depending on operational constraints at those Airports. Airports would have their own agreements on diversion charges which may be an influence, but the operational influences would come first. CWL is also closer to BRS than BHX and FR tend not to cancel flights and coach passengers both ways so would reduce delays getting them over to CWL. Many many reasons could influence it.

they weren't Stansted diverts to bhx were they,as stn had problems with protesters on and off all day Tuesday and bhx had filled up with diverts and normal offerings.just a thought.

According to FR24 and SWAG the BCN-CWL was diverted back to BCN after an hour in flight but according to the airports website it's now due to arrive at 00.25 for a 00.55 departure so it doesn't look like it's being cancelled.

Due to today's incident at TFS with the Jet2 Air Tanker A332 bursting it's tyres on landing and blocking the runway todays Thomas Cook was diverted to LPA and then flew to TFS from there. It now has an expected departure of 20.30 from TFS.

According to SWAG CWL has had 2 Gatwick diversions today.
Easyjet A320 YL-LCT EZY8536 FUE-LGW parked on stand 12 and departed to LGW at 16.35
Monarch A320 YL-LCP MON7983 LPA-LGW parked on stand 17
Both aircraft are SmartLynx aircraft operating on behalf of those airlines.

According to SWAG CWL received a TOM divert which landed at 02.17.
TOM4541 GRO-LGW G-CPEV 757 was the aircraft it departed back to LGW at 05.45.

Looks like Flybe have had a bad day!
According to SWAG the Dash G-PRPO went tech this morning so the 07.00 DUB didn't depart until 08.48 after G-PRPB was flown down from GLA to operate it.
It also looks like E195 G-FBEN went tech at CDG and according to FR24 the 15.40 arrival from CDG was cancelled and G-FBEN didn't arrive back from Paris until 20.44. E175 G-FBJK was flown down from BHX to operate the 15.50 DUB which departed at 19.23.
CityJet RJ-85 EI-RJH operated to Tarbes-Lourdes departing at 13.09.
Carpatair Fokker 100 YR-FZA also operated to Tarbes-Lourdes departing at 16.24.

G-FBEN went tech so G-FBEI had to do the MXP flight which was delayed by 4 hours 15 mins so departed at 14.15 instead of 10.00. The 14.00 Munich was cancelled.
Also the Thomson Paphos flight on G-FDZJ was delayed by 1 hour 25 mins departing at 16.20 instead of 14.55.

It looks like 1 of the E jets went tech this morning as the morning DUB rotation was operated by the based Dash and a Dash from EDI was flown down to operate the CWL-LCY flight but the return was cancelled.
Dublin was 55 mins late departing 07.55 instead of 07.00 while LCY was 1 hour 50 mins late departing 09.35 instead of 07.45.

Yesterday's Vueling Palma de Mallorca had a pretty big delay. It was supposed to depart at 17.40 but didn't depart until just before midnight which gave it a 6 hours and 20 mins delay.

I don't know the reason why but last nights TOM 22.00 PMI departure is coming up as cancelled on Fr24 and is marked as delayed on South Wales Aviation Group.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock