Is it just me that gets seriously fed up when watching TV programmes or films which include aircraft, and which constantly change the aircraft type? So the producers think nobody notices?

Just watched an episode of Spooks involving a flight from LHR to Tehran. Prior to boarding it's undercarriage showed it was a 747 but once inside it was a narrow body 737. On take off, it was a 737 200. Once in the air it was a 737 300. Later air shots showed an A320, then back to a 737 300 and on landing it was suddenly a 757. When being evacuated on the ground it was once again a 747. A British 747 but a US registration.

So many examples of this. The film Red Eye shows something similar. Wide body interior becomes 737 300 taxiing, then becomes A320 in air shots, and then back to a 737 300 after landing.

Even the likes of Home Alone has a DC10 from Chicago to Paris that transforms mid flight and an MD83 flying Paris to Chicago (I think not,) which also transforms. One Airport film involves a 707 which crashes in the sea but becomes a DC8 once in the water.

I find it hard to take any film or programme seriously that does this. Is it just me?

I can see your point, but I think that the general public have little knowledge or interest in aircraft types. Also, the TV programme/film makers are likely to source stock footage rather than go out and film a specific aircraft both internally and externally. I know many of us here, can identify an aircraft type by it's winglets, undercarriage, cockpit window design etc. But, I don't think most people are interested.
On a similar note, as a kid, I remember watching a TV programme where a mustard coloured Morris 1800 (just like my Dad had) being driven erratically. It ended up going over a cliff. But the car shown going over the cliff was a mustard coloured Austin Maxi (just like my Uncle had).
Unfortunately, although we find the factual inaccuracies annoying we are going to have to put up with it. Possibly the best way to cope, is to see it as amusing.

Is it just me that gets seriously fed up when watching TV programmes or films which include aircraft, and which constantly change the aircraft type? So the producers think nobody notices?

Just watched an episode of Spooks involving a flight from LHR to Tehran. Prior to boarding it's undercarriage showed it was a 747 but once inside it was a narrow body 737. On take off, it was a 737 200. Once in the air it was a 737 300. Later air shots showed an A320, then back to a 737 300 and on landing it was suddenly a 757. When being evacuated on the ground it was once again a 747. A British 747 but a US registration.

So many examples of this. The film Red Eye shows something similar. Wide body interior becomes 737 300 taxiing, then becomes A320 in air shots, and then back to a 737 300 after landing.

Even the likes of Home Alone has a DC10 from Chicago to Paris that transforms mid flight and an MD83 flying Paris to Chicago (I think not,) which also transforms. One Airport film involves a 707 which crashes in the sea but becomes a DC8 once in the water.

I find it hard to take any film or programme seriously that does this. Is it just me?
Yes, you"re not on your own! In Airplane the movie you see this and not only does the aircraft change so does the sound. On board the sound is of a prop aircraft yet outside it shows a jet but with the sound of a prop. I think there is a James Bond film which shows different aircraft. I agree with you it should"nt happen.

Yes, you"re not on your own! In Airplane the movie you see this and not only does the aircraft change so does the sound. On board the sound is of a prop aircraft yet outside it shows a jet but with the sound of a prop.
The jet sounding like a prop was meant as a joke,
Just like in Airplane II when they show the space shuttle being fuelled by shoveling coal into a boiler.

I won't mention the auto pilot gag in the first film.

Don't worry, it's being going on for years. Remember Kegworth, when that was first reported on ITV news, they showed a picture of a BMA DC9. We can all make mistakes, but they never apologised.

As Kevin Farnell said, most people haven't a clue what aircraft they are flying on, most of them don't care.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock