Which? have got a good reputation but it's hard to say how accurate their report is unless you've had the chance to compare each airport for yourself. It's good to see Heathrow performing highly as it doesn't seem long since people were slating it.

I think terminal 5 and more recently 2 have been a good improvement at Heathrow. I have used 2 fairly recently it was good.

Which? Latest airport survey for UK airports

BEST -> WORST according to Which?

Liverpool
Southampton
Bournemouth
East Midlands
Newcastle
Glasgow International
Leeds Bradford
London Gatwick North Terminal
Heathrow Terminal 4
Heathrow Terminal 5
Bristol
Aberdeen
Edinburgh
London Gatwick South
London Heathrow 2
London Heathrow 3
Birmingham
London Stansted
Manchester Terminal 2
Belfast International
Luton
Manchester Terminal 1
Manchester Terminal 3

Attachments

• pexels-connecting-flights-guide-12659050.jpg
    pexels-connecting-flights-guide-12659050.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
There are lots of people posting in the sub-forums on this. Lots of varying opinions as to why some airports perform better than others.

Some people believe airport layouts are responsible for the way passenger view their performance, while others belive old terminals with low ceilings severely impacts how their airport performs.

My view is that small airports are often perceived to be better because transit times through smaller terminal facilities are generally quicker. Small pick-up and drop-off areas with no-fuss parking close to the terminal is usually available from a small terminal. Naturally a small terminal is less busy because it has less flights.
The downside is facilities are often limited, staffing can be sparse and the choice of flights can often be few and far between.

On the opposite side of the spectrum large airports can be seen as stressful and often too busy. The distance between the terminal and boarding gates and the gates and arrival facilities is often substantial.
On the plus side, large airports generally have access to significantly more choice of destinations and different airlines. Large airports generally have multiple retail choices you wouldn't find at a smaller airport. You would generally find more transport options at a larger airport with rail links and national motorway links more likely.

What are your views on this?

Can an airport get too big where the benefits of a busy airport become outwayed by the negatives of having a large facility?

Do you always use the same airport and would you change your departure point just because of your experience?

#WhichAirport #RateYourAirport

This type of survey is always subjective and should be viewed with a large pinch of salt. I would think that it would be rare fliers that would take any note.

I prefer to fly from LBA, but have flown from 20 airports in UK since 1966.

There are lots of people posting in the sub-forums on this. Lots of varying opinions as to why some airports perform better than others.

Some people believe airport layouts are responsible for the way passenger view their performance, while others belive old terminals with low ceilings severely impacts how their airport performs.

My view is that small airports are often perceived to be better because transit times through smaller terminal facilities are generally quicker. Small pick-up and drop-off areas with no-fuss parking close to the terminal is usually available from a small terminal. Naturally a small terminal is less busy because it has less flights.
The downside is facilities are often limited, staffing can be sparse and the choice of flights can often be few and far between.

On the opposite side of the spectrum large airports can be seen as stressful and often too busy. The distance between the terminal and boarding gates and the gates and arrival facilities is often substantial.
On the plus side, large airports generally have access to significantly more choice of destinations and different airlines. Large airports generally have multiple retail choices you wouldn't find at a smaller airport. You would generally find more transport options at a larger airport with rail links and national motorway links more likely.

What are your views on this?

Can an airport get too big where the benefits of a busy airport become outwayed by the negatives of having a large facility?

Do you always use the same airport and would you change your departure point just because of your experience?

#WhichAirport #RateYourAirport

I flew from Heathrow terminal 2, which I found good, security was polite and quick.

Possibly the best or a least a good way to is to look at airports of similar size based on passenger numbers.
The best example I can see is a group of NCL/LPL//EMA/LBA all are in the top seven.
Simarly MAN/STN pretty much jointly get the booby prize (same owner).Meanwhile mid table are EDI /BRS/ BHX with BHX hovering just above the relegation zone so to speak.

The pattern appears pretty clear on the face of it, maybe worth noting LHR and LGW get varying results dependent on terminal but airports of similar size seem grouped together.

This type of survey is always subjective and should be viewed with a large pinch of salt. I would think that it would be rare fliers that would take any note.

I prefer to fly from LBA, but have flown from 20 airports in UK since 1966.
I am not seeking to be libellous but I always take WHICH? with a mine full of salt. Their purpose in existence is to find all things negative about anything and splash it about the media as something WE ought to be aware of. Seasider has it sussed, and remember, they have a history of launching "class action" law suits with the aim of maximising any financial award a court may issue against defendants.

My advice? AVOID !!

A question such as this is like someone asking you to play Russian roulette and submit your thoughts on your exercise later. Stupid. I think the answer has to be based on personal choice as there are so many variables to take account of. Therefore you implement a personal suck it and see strategy and the one or ones you get on with ,you stay with until something changes.

For example about 40 or so years ago I only liked using Teesside because it was convenient and was able to get where I wanted to go (mainly Amsterdam) quite easily and the a little later (when I lived down south it was Luton with a twice daily option for Athens with Gatwick (for a better choice of flights) as a backup.

Once I moved back up north Teesside has more or less given up the ghost so I adopted LBA as my 'home' airport although choice was a bit of a problem then. The problem has improved now and there is an alternative from another airport not much further away if pressed. Not recommended though.

Last edited:
...they have a history of launching "class action" law suits with the aim of maximising any financial award a court may issue against defendants.

Do they? Can you give an example of a class actions launched by Which? I have a search on google by couldn't find one - may be down to my poor searching tho :)

My view is that small airports are often perceived to be better because transit times through smaller terminal facilities are generally quicker.

I'd agree with this.

Went through Girona last month, as the only arrival we walked straight to the immigration desks with no queues and the baggage belt was rolling as we got there. Couldn't have been more than 20 mins or so from aircraft to taxi. Likewise upon our return, no queues at check-in or security meant we were airside in no time at all. As mentioned, the downside is lack of facilities and with the cafes absolutely full we ended up having Burger King for breakfast 🤦‍♂️

I think the timing of flights can also have an influence. There have been plenty of horror stories about horrendous queues at EDI yet we passed through in July and as it was mid-morning we were through in no time at all, we all thought how great it was. Had that been an hour or two earlier at peak morning time we may have completely different feelings about the experience.

I notice that the survey is based on the views of just 4000 pax. When one considers how many millions of people pass through the airports of the UK each year, surveying just 4000 is absolutely nothing. Definitely a pinch of salt.

Do they? Can you give an example of a class actions launched by Which? I have a search on google by couldn't find one - may be down to my poor searching tho :)

Under the ENTERPRISE ACT of 2002, The Consumers Association, publishers of WHICH?, have the statutory power to bring a SUPER COMPLAINT on behalf of............, I admit that Class Action is not a tradition in UK law although the ability to bring one exists , unlike that of USA.

My recent memory of such complaints bring to the fore Credit Card interest rates and the alleged collusion amongst providers for setting rates and surcharges at an uncompetitive level. To further clarify, the Financial Conduct Authority FCA, decides the merit of any complaint and rules according to law.

Class Actions was, on reflection, a strong term and therefore I withdraw it. Thank you KARFA for being on my case.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock