ADVERTISEMENT

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome back to the site Guest !

Railway TV Programmes

Discussion in 'Railways & Model Raiways' started by Aviador, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Aviador

Aviador Administrator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    As we seem to have a growing number of railway enthusiasts among us I thought it might be worth trying a new forum for for the subject as there's so much to talk about.

This thread is to discuss past, future and present railway programmes.

I've recently been watching Extreme Railways featuring Chris Tarrant. I bought a series featuring Chris trek across Congo's Jungle, Australia's Outback and India's Monsoon Railway. The Indian Monsoon Railway is probably my favourite with the onboard restaurant car with it's deep fat fryer cooking away as the carriage sways from side to side.

[​IMG]

Looking on Channel 5 Extreme Railways website it looks like Chris Tarrant has been filming a new series just aired during November. Did anybody manage to watch them? The latest series featured The Middle East; The Balkans; Baltic; Timbuktu; Trans-Caucasus Railway; Night Train To Patagonia and more.

At first I bought the series for the little lad to watch but I've really enjoyed watching them with him over and over again.

2. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:
    Just watched a clip from one of Chris Tarrant's other series that I haven't seen yet. It's had us laughing our socks off. I'm going to have to get this full series to watch.:ROFLMAO:

Ray Finkle likes this.
  3. Kevin Farnell

Kevin Farnell Platinum Member

Cheers Aviador(y)

I've been following Chris Tarrant's 'Extreme Railway Journeys' for several series and find them both entertaining and educational.
    I'd also recommend those of Micheal Portillo and the more recent series 'Coastal Railways' with Julie Walters.

Kevin

Ray Finkle and Aviador like this.
  4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    The Michael Portillo series was excellent as is the Coastal Railways with Julie Walters.

In the most recent episode she took a trip on the St Ives Branch Line. It's only a short ride but one that is definitely worth doing with spectacular views across the Hayle Estuary and the stunning beach at Carbis Bay.

It gets pretty busy at peak times but is still much better than attempting to find a parking spot in St Ives.

TheLocalYokel and Aviador like this.
  5. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

I saw Mr Portaloo walking out of the front of Bristol Temple Meads Station last year. He was dressed in one of his natty blazers and was clearly being filmed exiting the station as a link shot for one of his programmes.

I always think his shows are more travelogue than rail show although I have watched and enjoyed a number of them which is unusual for me as I watch very little television these days.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  6. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:
    It's great to see politicians doing something normal so you can see them in the true light of day. Since watching some of his series, my opinion of Michael Portillo has completely changed favourably.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  7. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah they tend to be about the journey and the places the train goes rather than the train itself. Which is probably why as a show people like me and my dad like will watch it. If it was just about just the trains it probably wouldn't be as interesting to a wider audience.

Ray Finkle likes this.