ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Primera Air

Discussion in 'Birmingham' started by Ray Finkle, Jul 20, 2017.

1. hay677

hay677 Member

I bet the "decision-makers" (if there are any currently) at BHX will want to see them stay in the absence of any transatlantic alternatives. But maybe Primera really only wanted the euro holiday market and used TATL as a bargaining chip?

GliderPilot likes this.
  2. Coathanger16

Coathanger16 Platinum Member

Saw a photo the other day of 2 National 757's at BHX - any idea when that happened?

The poster seemed to state as a matter of fact that Primera would be back for TATL next year...

3. IanFarquharson

IanFarquharson Platinum Member

There were 757's at BHX for a while, the second one having winglets which is now at STN
    Lets hope they are back on TATL in S19, we are all assuming they wont be !

4. Coathanger16

Coathanger16 Platinum Member

The rumours about Primera launching from MAN were based on slot applications - is there not a similar system for BHX?

5. Matt995

Matt995 Platinum Member

737 YL-PSG, has finally departed to Palma almost 3 1/2 late, so the poor Malaga passengers due out at 07:00 are delayed even more now, if they use the same aircraft a delay of 17 1/2 hours is on the cards! oh dear, I wonder what information Primera are giving the passenges stuck at BHX and AGP!

6. Scottie Dog

Scottie Dog Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sure there is, the only difficulty is finding somebody with the contacts to get the information!

7. IanFarquharson

IanFarquharson Platinum Member

The Primera TATL slots from MAN are foe Winter 18/19
    They have no intention of serving BHX in Winter 18/19
    Summer 19 from either - who knows ?

8. 58terminus

58terminus Well-Known Member

Indeed who knows? But we can certainly have a dam good guess.

9. Ianbutty

Ianbutty Platinum Member

I think we need to place primera in the Hard to Do work pile and see whether someone else will take the plunge.

My main concern, is the reputational damage they have wrought on Birmingham as a long haul destination. Whilst I am not too bothered by the USA links, bigger fish to catch than that, hopefully we will see the restoration of Canada before too long.

India is where we need to focus (not you Primera, polite please). Links to our future main trading partners are far more important. US is not investing outside of the US so little benefit for the Brum economy.

10. ksvix392

ksvix392 New Member

tripe. loads of US investment in ireland and other places. i see it on the news all the time. we do need US routes

11. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    With routes to the USA i think as well as business links there also needs to be a good amount of inbound tourism from the US which i believe the Scottish routes get.

12. jfy1999

jfy1999 Platinum Member

Media:
    Hopefully very little and probably negligible compared to their own brand reputation which will still be running the gauntlet on short haul and elsewhere.

Surely any airline development team worth its salt would be analysing the Continental/United service that lasted 20-odd years rather than a two-month operation which was a horror show but merely reflected problems with the airline as a whole?

13. nbdm

nbdm Member

It's a real shame Primera isn't an option for this summer/autumn, despite all of their issues I'm sure they would have actually provided a decent service - in a similar way Ryanair do.
    They 'get you there', you don't always need baggage, or food, or even entertainment. A lot of people would sleep if the timings were right for example and eat before/after, hopping over the Atlantic isn't that long.

Even now, I personally wouldn't discount them completely if I was looking to fly to the US, as a matter of fact just last week I booked to go to NY and Boston two places I could have flown straight from home, but as Primera aren't present for the foreseeable from BHX and didn't fancy going down to STN (for the third time this year :(), I looked at MAN/LHR options.
    Cost was the main search criteria, and ironically we ended up with Virgin from MAN with baggage included, it was actually cheaper than their 'light' fare.
    I would be interested in an explanation for this: https://i.imgur.com/fDTJwEo.png

I maintain that there is a market from BHX, a lot of that admittedly may be business travel which Primera were never likely to grab, especially without any alliance or connections on either end.

Marketing is key for a service like this to succeed, if only they had given it the benefit of the doubt this summer they could have done really well.

I genuinely hope they return next year despite all their faults, they do need to work on customer service and branding but low cost TATL is viable in my opinion.