CWL and Visit Wales are currently in New Zealand promoting Wales with QR's flights from Auckland!

QR are also offering 15% off flights from CWL using code CARDIFF2018, if booked before 5th April

Last edited:
CWL and Visit Wales are currently in New Zealand promoting Wales with QR's flights from Auckland!

QR are also offering 15% off flights from CWL using code CARDIFF2018, if booked before 5th April

Execellent news. New Zealand is a fantastic country and should be on everyones bucket list if possible. Probably my favourite country that I've been too.

I know a kiwi living in South Wales and they're a sizeable population here. Hopefully the route can tap into this market when/if they travel home.

That's great news. Definitely a country on my bucket list!
Also it has a big connection with Wales with rugby not just with New Zealand itself with quite a few players over here playing in Wales and the West Country and coaches as well with Warren Gatland the Welsh head coach the most high profile but the Pacific Islands as well with Auckland itself having excellent connections to places like Fiji.

Bit of commotion on the flybe thread this evening, but I have 2 points to share about Qatar Airways today.

1. Qatar Airways have extended their "+ Qatar" programme for the third or fourth time recently. Basically allows a free nights hotel stay in Qatar paid for by the airline/Qatar government to encourage tourism. I'll hopefully be taking advantage of this in May.

2. There are talks ongoing to end the Saudi led Qatar boycott and allow movement of civilians between the countries involved, this could/should open up the Doha-Dubai link again. Definitely a destination that will get bums on seats out of Cardiff. I've been a few times now and other family members have been multiple times, when I've gone its always been BA/EK from LHR.

Article here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....f-states-plans-end-saudi-arabia-qatar-boycott

Still no widespread advertising around the West Country. There might still be adverts on one or two local commercial radio stations - I don't listen so don't know - but I expected a bigger general push by now: advertising hoardings and on buses for example.

Bit of commotion on the flybe thread this evening, but I have 2 points to share about Qatar Airways today.

1. Qatar Airways have extended their "+ Qatar" programme for the third or fourth time recently. Basically allows a free nights hotel stay in Qatar paid for by the airline/Qatar government to encourage tourism. I'll hopefully be taking advantage of this in May.

2. There are talks ongoing to end the Saudi led Qatar boycott and allow movement of civilians between the countries involved, this could/should open up the Doha-Dubai link again. Definitely a destination that will get bums on seats out of Cardiff. I've been a few times now and other family members have been multiple times, when I've gone its always been BA/EK from LHR.

Article here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....f-states-plans-end-saudi-arabia-qatar-boycott
Both good news, they do want to turn Doha into a destination on it's own right. Good as well that the tensions between the various states are coming to an end and especially Dubai could open up as well, also the tensions in Korea seem to be lessening with talks scheduled for April so that might help as well.

Still no widespread advertising around the West Country. There might still be adverts on one or two local commercial radio stations - I don't listen so don't know - but I expected a bigger general push by now: advertising hoardings and on buses for example.
Slightly strange that, hopefully they'll have something planned when the team gets back from New Zealand.

Both good news, they do want to turn Doha into a destination on it's own right. Good as well that the tensions between the various states are coming to an end and especially Dubai could open up as well, also the tensions in Korea seem to be lessening with talks scheduled for April so that might help as well.

Don't forget the football World Cup is to be held in Qatar in 2022. Not the most popular choice in European football circles as almost certainly it will have to be held in the Northern Hemisphere winter as the summer heat would be too much. That will c*ck up the major European leagues for up to two seasons.

Nevertheless, it will be a massive boost to Qatar tourism.

That's a shame. Advertising on this side of the severn seems full steam ahead. Someone I know locally in the tourism business is going to an open day at CWL shortly for a tour of the airport and a talk on the route. It's funny because the sector of tourism he is in won't warrent him to use the flight at all, but the tour is the attraction.

Local papers in South Wales seem to be being blasted with adverts too.

CWL are in Bristol tonight sponsoring fastgrowth50 function at Ashton Gate alongside Qatar Airways

Just an observation, but It seems to me most of CWL's advertising is aimed at Business travellers rather than Economy ones. Understandable as filling the premium cabin is of course important and will be the key to making the route successful.

CWL are in Bristol tonight sponsoring fastgrowth50 function at Ashton Gate alongside Qatar Airways
Obvious chance for 'networking' with West Country business especially with Qatar in mind. Do we know who represented CWL at the event? Spencer Birns?

Obvious chance for 'networking' with West Country business especially with Qatar in mind. Do we know who represented CWL at the event? Spencer Birns?
I would've thought that it would be someone from Marketing rather than Route Development.
There is a photo on Twitter and it looks like Debra Barber did some sort of video presentation or introduction.

Visit Wales/CWL in Australia promoting, I think. According to Trade travel Wales twitter.

Good to see there's been a big push on this. Not sure how much advertising is going on in the Southwest? If not that's a big piece of the puzzle missing.

Marketing partnership agreement with Qatar Airways will raise Wales’ profile globally
In anticipation of the inaugural Qatar Airways flight to Cardiff in May 2018, a Marketing partnership agreement has been signed between Welsh Government and Qatar Airways which will increase Wales’ visibility in key markets as a holiday and business destination.

Thursday 15 March 2018

The Qatar Airways service is Cardiff Airport’s first route into the Middle East, with 150 onward connections from Doha. Links to and from Australia, New Zealand, China, India and Japan will be the most significant markets for Wales’ tourism and business priorities.

The two year agreement will see extensive activity in key markets to raise the awareness of routes into Cardiff Airport. This will include consumer marketing activity and travel trade engagement in the key markets of Australia, China, India and Japan.

The announcement comes as Visit Wales, Qatar Airways and Cardiff Airport are on a travel trade mission in Australia and New Zealand to raise awareness of the new routes and what Wales has to offer visitors from Australia. During the past week, the team have met with more than 300 travel trade representatives in Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and Auckland including appointments with influential travel trade representatives such as Flight Centre, Helloworld and Tempo Holidays.

The focus has been on promoting our world-class products, activities, events and experiences during Year of the Sea 2018 – as well as The Wales Way – the new family of three national scenic touring routes which cross the country’s most epic landscapes as a way of showcasing Wales’ fascinating history, coastlines and attractions – and give overseas visitors the confidence and information to explore more of Wales.

Tourism Minister, Lord Elis-Thomas, said:

“It’s extremely good news that we’ve been able to work with Qatar Airways on this significant marketing partnership agreement. The new route provides an unprecedented opportunity to enhance global tourism and trade links and showcase Wales internationally. The majority of international visitors to Wales visit as part of a UK-wide tour. This new route into Cardiff provides an additional UK entry point from Asia-Pacific markets.

“Our joint marketing agreement with Qatar Airways means that this is the first time for Wales to have an active consumer campaign in these markets and more activity will follow at key booking times over the next year. This will increase Wales’ visibility in these markets both with consumers and with the travel trade and we look forward to developing and maintaining relationships as we work to increase awareness of Wales and what we have to offer – and welcoming more international visitors to Wales.”

Economy Secretary, Ken Secretary said:

“The launch of direct flights between Doha and Cardiff later this year offers huge opportunities for us to grow our economic links, not only with Qatar but also with a host of other significant markets including Australia, New Zealand, China, India and Japan.

“We know that Wales is a great place to live, visit and do business, but as we all work to negotiate the challenges and opportunities of Brexit , it is more important than ever that this message is being heard loud and clear across the globe. I welcome this Marketing Partnership Agreement which is one of many ways in which we are working to increase Wales’ visibility and grow our share of overseas markets."

Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker said;
“We are very excited to commence direct flights between Cardiff and Doha from 1st May this year, opening Wales to a global network of over 150 destinations. Cardiff offers not only a unique gateway directly into the heart of Wales but also expands our footprint in the UK offering visitors an even greater choice of destinations when planning their trip. We look forward to working with the Welsh Government to showcase all that Wales has to offer to our overseas passengers.”

Roger Lewis, Chairman of Cardiff Airport said,

“The opportunities that this new route offers Wales are going to be transformational for both business and passengers.

“Cardiff Airport is immensely proud to serve the people of Wales.”

http://gov.wales/newsroom/culture-t...wales-profile-globally/?status=closed&lang=en

Cardiff Airport was at the Newell Travel show yesterday in the South West promoting the airport and the Qatar Airways route. Newell Travel are a Cornish based firm i believe.

Cardiff Airport was at the Newell Travel show yesterday in the South West promoting the airport and the Qatar Airways route. Newell Travel are a Cornish based firm i believe.
Fair play to them as they say around here, but Devon and Cornwall seems a little remote from CWL. Putting more effort into the West Country might pay greater dividends.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock