ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Manchester Metropolitan Area

Discussion in 'Urban Forum' started by Dobbo, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Carl0927

Carl0927 Premium Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Having lunch with Cameron maybe : -)

Aviador likes this.
  2. Purebeef

Purebeef New Member

Does Manchester always needs for terrorism to give it publicity ?. Basically you are saying if these attacks had never taken place then no would no any different so investment would stall or be non existent. Manchester city centre aka Piccadilly gardens is a disgrace. Market st an utter sham. So this so called investment where is actually going. It is going on city centre living by the way of building tall glass towers to give the outside perspective that it is a booming city. When really deep down we know it is not.

paul, Aviador and Carl0927 like this.
  3. Carl0927

Media:
    I think the north needs to keen on top of this, I listened to Owen Paterson from the government on "Any Questions" he said it wasn't important to electrify coast to coast in the north, fast diesels were fine .This was shouted down by all the other MPs on the panel I might say, plus David Dimbleby pointed out the pollution factor.

The train from Liverpool to Manchester in now electric, it needs to carry on east, its a fudge by the government if they don't do this. After all Crossrail is being done !

Aviador likes this.
  4. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    I read an article about electrifying the railways across the UK and it was saying that the UK government basically has tried to do way too much too soon and that Network rail just doesn't have the manpower do it all. Hence a lot of bits are being chopped off ie electrification to Swansea and Bristol and Bath and places up north. In the end London will always get priority for everything infrastructure wise.

Aviador and Carl0927 like this.
  5. Carl0927

Media:
    It's true but very frustrating for other regions, makes it slower getting around and less attractive for investment.

6. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep true. But even outside of London some areas have much better infrastructure than others. Look at Manchester it has a Metro and trams yet in South Wales we have none of that yet but will in the future. The South West though doesn't even have it to look forward to and it's one of the richest areas in the country.

Carl0927 likes this.
  7. David_itl

David_itl Platinum Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I resent the idea that we "need" terrorism for publicity; we've got more than enough of a history about the things that have done here that it may well be time to bring back the hoardings that were down Portland Street whilst it was undergoing renovation celebrating Manchester firsts and use them at various entry points to the city. Yes Piccadilly Gardens needs looking at but thankfully the council is now recognising that fact - it's a source of frustration that it has deviated from what it was i.e. real, proper gardens.

When looking at the population and how best to serve it's needs, we need to look at the wiki entry:
    "The 2012 Mid-Year Estimate for the population of Manchester was 510,700. This was an increase of 7,900, or 1.6%, since the 2011 MYE. Since 2001, the population has grown by 87,900, or 20.8%". The mid-2016 estimate is 541,300. There's 225,000 fewer people living in the city now than in the 1930s -the only way to address it is with these nice swanky glass fronted blocks in the city centre for the well off and there's been a fair amount of brownfield development which is pitching for us "mere mortals".

Transport wise, it is not helpful that the Mayor comes out with the codswallop that it's too expensive on pubic transport (it really isn't at about £2.50 per day) which is fuelling the increase in cars that is causing dire congestion. The travel time for me from my nearest bus stop to opposite Circle Square fluctuates from 20 minutes through to 40 minutes dependent on the school, and in 1 instance over an hour. The ridiculous paring down of lanes for car and buses to let the lunatic cyclist have greater sway is something that needs to be alleviated. Personally, i feel like "accidentally" swinging my bag into the myriad cyclists who think that they have free rein to ride pavements and ignore traffic signals, whilst wearing next to no safety equipment. The trams are just an embarrassment with constant reporting of points failures here, there and everywhere.

TheLocalYokel likes this.
  8. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

Re the cyclists I agree, but if Manchester is anything like Bristol many motorists who (rightly) complain about cyclists riding on pavements (it's a continuing theme in the local press) have no hesitation in driving their cars onto pavements to park there. Not only do they obstruct pedestrians, especially people with impaired or no vision as well as those pushing buggies, but they damage the pavements and kerbs leaving indentations in the pavement surface which become slippery after rain.

I believe that pavements are for pedestrians, not for cyclists or car drivers, of which I am one of the latter. I used to cycle a lot as well.

I was last in Manchester 4/5 years ago and I was impressed with the trams. I rode to Salford Quays and back to the city centre on them. We haven't even got electric trains in Bristol, let alone trams.

9. jfy1999

jfy1999 Platinum Member

Media:
    The latest tower in the Great Jackson Street Masterplan to enter the planning process is the one on the far left of this image and is 50+ floors tall...

[​IMG]

Also, the developers of this project next to Beetham (which was due to be built by Carillion) have stated they hope to go ahead with another contractor

[​IMG]

Brum X, TheLocalYokel and Aviador like this.
  10. Brum X

Brum X Premium Member Plus I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Looks awesome (y)

11. mullion

mullion Active Member

According to BBC last night Manchester is now the fastest growing city in Europe

Brum X, Aviador, Jerry and 1 other person like this.
  12. Aviador

Aviador Administrator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    I can believe it. There's an enormous amount of building work taking place at the moment.

13. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

Is that by infrastructure or by population?

14. mullion

mullion Active Member

Sorry work got in way of my reply.
    Building and infrastructure with over 50 tower cranes in Manchester/Salford city centre

TheLocalYokel likes this.
  15. Aviador

Aviador Administrator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    I visited Manchester yesterday. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to have a good mooch around due to commitments but I was very impressed with all the work taking place with tower cranes in every direction.
    I only had my mobile phone for photos so the pictures aren't great but these were taken around the area where we stayed.

We had a great night in the Deansgate Locks area. Photos copyright Forums4airports.com , feel free to share them elsewhere if you like but give us a mention please.

Needless to say, but the rain was never far away!

jfy1999, Brum X, Jerry and 1 other person like this.
  16. Brum X

Brum X Premium Member Plus I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Awesome photo's Aviador, thanks for sharing. Im loving those gigantic towers.

Aviador likes this.
  17. jfy1999

jfy1999 Platinum Member

Media:
  18. AnneHathaway

AnneHathaway New Member

@Aviador Sweet! At least there was a nice rainbow in your photo, good things always come after the rain.

Aviador likes this.
  19. jfy1999

jfy1999 Platinum Member

Media:
    Latest in a long series of plans for Trinity Islands. Looks much better than the previous one...

[​IMG]

mullion, TheLocalYokel and Brum X like this.
  20. jfy1999

jfy1999 Platinum Member

Media: