ADVERTISEMENT

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Welcome back to the site Guest !

Etihad Airways

Discussion in 'Worldwide Airline Forum' started by ethanegcc, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ethanegcc

ethanegcc Platinum Member

Media:
    Following Emirates (see Emirates thread), Etihad will make lounge-access payable.
    The cost varies between lounges, depending on their facilities; for example, Etihad's Australian lounges charge A$99 per person, with a reduced $77 fee for children aged between 3 and 12, and free for infants under three years.

By comparison, Etihad's London lounge charges £45 (A$72) for adults and £35 (A$56) for children.

However, Etihad will not allow passengers to pay to get into the first class lounge, as Emirates have done.
    https://www.ausbt.com.au/etihad-airways-now-lets-you-pay-your-way-into-its-airport-lounges

2. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

I thought I'd posted this at the time but obviously not.

From July 2017 Etihad will no longer supply complimentary chauffeured cars for its First and Business class passengers, except in Abu Dhabi or for The Residence* customers anywhere that A380s operate. Etihad 'sold' the idea as something that followed customer demand which is clearly nonsensical. It's obviously another cost-cutting exercise that all major airlines seems to be practising these days.

So far as I'm aware the only airline that now offers this complimentary service to its premium passengers is Emirates and I would suggest it's a safe bet that they won't continue with it themselves much longer now that Etihad has opted out.

* For anyone who might not be aware Etihad offers The Residence on its A380s. It's a separate unit consisting of a living room, separate bedroom and ensuite shower room, and is designed for two people travelling together.

Jerry likes this.
  3. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
  4. TheLocalYokel

Perth Airport shot up from 7 mppa in 2006 to over 13 mppa by 2012 mainly on the back of the mining boom for gold and other metals and gases in that part of the state. The boom seems to have tailed off of late and Perth Airport has remained around 13 mppa for the past five years.

Jerry likes this.
  5. Coathanger16

Coathanger16 Well-Known Member

The problem these days are that there are just so many routings you can take to Australia. Just checked flights for London to Sydney for August and there are 8 flights cheaper than any of the ME3 (2x Thai, 1x Air India, 1x China Southern, 3x Cathay Pacific, 1x Singapore - so not even "dodgy" airlines that you'd want to avoid).

I wonder if Perth might see growth over the coming years if Qantas decides to turn it into a hub for their non-stop European flights...

6. TheLocalYokel

Perth is reckoned to be one of the most isolated largish cities in the world. It's closer to Jakarta in Indonesia than to Sydney. Its metropolitan region that stretches for many miles along the coast has relied historically on mining booms in the region at various times to grow and be sustained.

Later this year my wife and I will be using QF10, the non-stop flight from LHR to PER that goes on to Melbourne, but only on the PER-MEL sector where it becomes part international and part domestic in terms of passengers. It only has a stopover of just over an hour at PER so I doubt there will be time for passengers from the UK en route to MEL to get off at PER to go through customs and immigration formalities before reboarding, so arrival at MEL will be interesting in regard to the international/domestic passenger split.

We always use Emirates for our Oz visits from London to Melbourne. This time we decided to have a break at Perth for a few days on the outbound journey. We looked at QF10 for the London-Perth sector but my wife in particular wasn't keen on a 17-hour flight. 13/14 hours between MEL and DXB is bad enough and anyway DXB-PER will be 2/3 hours less than that.

Etihad seem to be facing up to the reality that perhaps Europe (especially UK)-Australasia is becoming crowded. I note too that some of the Emirates flights that used to route Dubai-Oz-Auckland now terminate in Oz, including EK406 the one we normally use to MEL.