ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Airport Experience [Questions & Reviews)

Discussion in 'Birmingham' started by Ray Finkle, Jun 5, 2016.

1. thunderchild

thunderchild Platinum Member

Media:
    Haha, I know what you mean. After two weeks of Greek cuisine last year I came back looking like I’d swallowed a space hopper! Heaven help me this year - two weeks of pizza and pasta!

2. Brum X

Brum X Premium Member Plus I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Welcome back to Blighty Ray :unsure:

3. Kevin Farnell

Kevin Farnell Platinum Member

Today, my girlfriends Mom was flying back from BHX to NOC. She's an elderly lady and had booked special assistance.
    My girlfriend dropped her off and she was taken through to the gate. Shortly after the flight departed my girlfriend received a call from her Mom to say she was still at the gate and there was no-one around.
    How could this possibly happen? Boarding cards are supposed to be checked and counted, surely?
    An abysmal situation, for which I suspect she can claim a lot of compensation.
    She has been told she can fly tomorrow, but the stress and disrution to not only herself, but also her Son (who was on a two hour return journey to collect her from NOC) and my girlfriend who having dropped her at BHX today has had to return to collect her and will have to drop her off again tomorrow.

Kevin

JF57 likes this.
  4. Brum X

Brum X Premium Member Plus I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    That is awful Kevin, really shoddy work.

I am not surprised with anything at BHX any more, it needs a really big kick up the a=se and im being polite :(

I hope your girlfiends mom is ok

Kevin Farnell, JF57 and TheLocalYokel like this.
  5. thunderchild

thunderchild Platinum Member

Media:
    Shocking! Have to say I passed through without incident - security was quick and we were in the departure lounge within ten minutes of being dropped off at the station. Granted it was four in the morning but still.

The staff on security didn’t seem to be the friendliest however and one of the young women working on the Ryanair gate should really look up the definition of customer service as the way she was talking to some of the passengers was utterly disgraceful!

JF57 likes this.
  6. 58terminus

58terminus Well-Known Member

Did she have checked in luggage?

7. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

Kevin's post details a shocking experience. I never know whether the airline, the airport or the company contracted to assist less mobile passengers is really to blame. I tend to the view that the passenger contracts the flight with the airline and they have the primary responsibility but without reading the detailed terms and conditions it might not be that straightforward.

How in heaven's name can an elderly lady be abandoned in such a way at one the country's leading airports? If I was the CEO of the airport (presumably acting CEO at BHX) or of the airline I'd be wanting full details of this lamentable event and I would ensure that whoever was responsible, with the management level mainly in my firing line, was given the very strong benefit of my tongue.

As for security staff, in my experience the majority I've encountered at airports are professional and polite, but as with most jobs there will be a minority who don't normally find themselves in a position to exercise 'power' over people but when they do they will use it to satisfy their pathetic needs.

JF57, paul and Kevin Farnell like this.
  8. Kevin Farnell

Apparently not, only hand luggage. I know an aircraft cannot leave with checked in luggage, if the passenger hasn't boarded and wonder if this had an affect. Possibly, the cabin crew thinking that the passenger hadn't arrived but had no checked in luggage.
    I think the blame lies squarely with the special assistance operator (OCL Ltd). They, afterall have a contract with the airport for these services and had accepted the booking.
    My girlfriend said there had been some incident involving the Police (not involving her mother, obviously), but there is absolutely no excuse for an elderly lady to be abandoned at an airport gate.

Kevin

9. 58terminus

58terminus Well-Known Member

It does sound like a complete disgrace. I and i'm sure others would like to know what responce you get
    from the various people involved

10. Kevin Farnell

Oops, sorry. That should have read 'OCS Ltd'.

Kevin

11. Kevin Farnell

A short update on the above situation.

My girlfriend's mother was not the only person left behind. Another elderly lady (also in a wheelchair), was also left abandoned at the gate.
    From what I've heard, the other lady was left without her medication as her checked in luggage was loaded onto the aircraft and departed to NOC.
    My girlfriend arrived (in a very anxious state - she worries greatly if anything happens to her mother), at the Special Assistance desk, where all responsibilty was denied. Instead, they suggested that the blame lay with either the handling agent or the airline.
    She was taken to the airline desk, where they simply said 'sorry' and that there would be an investigation.
    Later, she asked her mother whether there had been any other special assistance passengers (other than herself and the other abandoned lady), to which she said 'yes' and that they were boarded.
    I've asked my girlfriend to write down the events in chronological order, whilst they are still fresh in her memory.

I'm still having trouble believing that this could happen!

Kevin

JF57 likes this.
  12. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Kevin if it turns out that another passenger was left behind and in similar circumstances but their hold luggage was carried surely that is a serious breach of security and could result in a fine and possibly every passenger carried or not on that flight may have a case for compensation of some sort I am no solicitor but a good one would know.