ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Random Stuff!!

Discussion in 'Cardiff Wales' started by TheLocalYokel, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    I can't wait to see the look on my girlfriends face when I suggest we go and see it! LOL

TheLocalYokel likes this.
  2. mathers_wales_uk

mathers_wales_uk Well-Known Member

Media:
    WAN was set up by a man on a mission who eventually I discovered had an agenda against the airport. WAF was then set up by some admins from WAN who broke away to continue with the ambition of promoting aviation in Wales.

After attending several meetings, airport events and countless letters etc it certainly seems that we did our best to assist the airport through the hard times.

Don't get me wrong, it has not been easy with airport making complaints to my employers at the time however they eventually understood what our aims were and even though sometimes we weren't doing what they wanted and saying what they wanted to hear.

I believe the information that was once held from the news feed, to the CAA stats and information of the various airfields were decent, however as I was only doing the updates it became very time consuming. In fact it was like having a 2nd full time job.

The other implications of course was cost, and WAF never asked for a penny from anyone even when we were posting leaflets through peoples doors promoting Vueling in my local area. In fact I think I funded everything including the costs of the website.

As I no longer have the time I used to with a new job meaning I am either in work or frequently on call. I have made the decision to withdraw the content I no longer have the time to update.

The forum itself I have let to run. People who want to continue to discuss in it are free to do so however quite frankly I no longer have the time to even moderate it anymore unless I am highlighted to issues.

As you now know I frequent this forum regularly and the reason being I know some of the contributors that I once enjoyed reading their posts on WAF are actually here and the idiots haven't seem to have found this gem.

When the next renewal is due, I will not renew the subscription which I believe is January 2019. I will enter a discussion with the owners of this site closer to the end date to see if they wish me to post a link to this forum on WAF. On the other hand I don't want to bring the idiots on here.

Forums4Airports is a great forum and is the only one I look at these days and if they deemed it necessary I would offer my services as a moderator to the creators on here.

If anybody want's to know anything or discuss it further then please inbox me. Enough WAF talk on here let's concentrate on F4A however I just wanted to explain the situation.

3. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

Thank you mathers for those comments about F4A. As you know I used to post to WAF and before that to WAN (PP once tried to get me to run a West Country version of WAN for him but I declined) and I was well aware of the time, effort and money you and others put into WAF. Do you know what happened to Clive for whom I had a great deal of respect although I never met him personally?

mathers_wales_uk likes this.
  4. mathers_wales_uk

Media:
    Of course you are one of the posters I used to enjoy to read. It would have been good to have met you in person.

Clive is still very much live and kicking however I longer have my weekly hour chat with him as I drive home from work. He very much is now enjoying his love of fishing and making the most time with his daughter and grandson.

I do see him post from time to time on social media.

Clive was brilliant, he used to know the right people to wind up to generate a reaction. He would highlight how politicians would not use Cardiff Airport for their trade missions. He was told to not go on about it, then month later he was told it was working and people within Government was being concerned.

The Highlight was when Patrick Duffy laughed at him in front of the ACC meeting when he said that the airport needs to go out and engage with the travel trade & needed to promote the routes on offer. He was told that airlines \operators elected to pay less in fees and therefore marketing was not included.

Needless to say within a month the first Thirsty Thursday event was born where travel agents were invited to engage with regional managers of airlines/operators providing services from Cardiff Airport. Now Cardiff Airport employ a team to market and engage with travel agents on a daily basis to shout out about the routes on offer.

TheLocalYokel and Jerry like this.
  5. TheLocalYokel

Many thanks for that mathers. I'm delighted to learn that Clive is still in top form. If you do contact him in any way please give him my best wishes.

I have no doubt that the present resurgence of CWL owes a lot to the efforts of those who set up WAF by their persistent pushing the airport and government to up both their games, as well as doing the airport's promotional work for it at times - unpaid and in their/your own time. I sometimes wonder what influence WAF had on the First Minister when the decision was taken to purchase the airport by the government.

mathers_wales_uk and Jerry like this.
  6. mathers_wales_uk

Media:
    It is hard to tell what influence if any we had.

We certainly lobbied for the politicians to use Cardiff Airport to travel on their trade missions.

Then every politician in Wales was kept up to date with our news, many of which were fully aware of Wales Air Forum.

We did manage meetings with several politicians however the only ones that truly wanted the airport to thrive was Eluned Parrott of Plaid Cymru and Byron Davies of the Conservatives.

TheLocalYokel and Jerry like this.
  7. TheLocalYokel

I think you might be under selling yourself with this. I suspect strongly that many politicians and others including senior business people in the country had their eyes opened by WAF to CWL's possibilities. The ailing airport that WAF 'inherited' is going from strength to strength and many of WAF's aims for it have already been achieved with much more to come.

WAF might have played a part in 'shaming' the WG to do something instead of moaning about the place as the FM did publicly.

mathers_wales_uk and Jerry like this.