CWL is barely scraping profit, so it's doubtful any further expansion of the terminal will be introduced unless it's absolutely necessary to the Operation. I think what's been done so far is sufficient until we see that growth.

It's likely to make an EBITDA profit next year according to the airport chairman but the date when an actual profit will be made has not been identified. The chairman merely says it will be sooner rather than later.

In 2016-2017 the pre-tax loss was £5.97 million whereas in that year the EBITDA loss was £896,000. Although EBITDA is often used to measure a company's performance in a sector against its peers it has its drawbacks as it excludes certain important aspects of a company's balance sheet; debt repayment and depreciation for starters.

Nevertheless, EBITDA performance at CWL is important as it is the measure specified in the Welsh Government's loans to its airport company - £10 million for terminal development and £13 million for route development. So at least the airport company's financial progress is along the right lines and, short of some major obstacle that cannot be foreseen, is likely to continue in that direction.

Clearly such a track record will be of immense value when the time comes to seek a serious private sector partner.

I'm sceptical that there would be enough room between the current terminal and BAMC to build a new terminal, by the time parking and taxi ways are taken into account. Although I do agree there would be a lot of disruption to Roose residents.
The space between BAMC and the current terminal is nearly as big as the current terminal and ramp space so it would be possible to build a new terminal there or maybe instead use it for more stands and expand the current terminal or build a covered walkway or concourse to them.

That's a shame as i was hoping to get a photo of it in operation today. Guess it'll have to be another time .

Just seen a ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- post and the new airbridge is in place. From the photo it looks like the airbridge will service a new stand between stand 3 and 7. Another poster said that a stand will be added between stand 3 and stand 7 which will become stand 7 and the current stand 7 will become stand 7L and there will also be a stand 8R between what are stand 7 and 8 now.

When is the second one going up and on which stand?

Will be a real nuisance if there's a breakdown with this one and Qatar passengers have to de-board by stairs in the rain!
More than once I've had to board and exit Emirates aircraft at Dubai by stairs on those occasions when the aircraft has been parked at a remote stand, so CWL would be in good company if ever that happened with Qatar. Not ideal though, whether with Qatar or Emirates.

When is the second one going up and on which stand?
Not till next winter i believe and i have no idea which stand they are putting it on. The bridge on 10 isn't young and the one on 9 is condemned but i honestly don't believe that stand needs a bridge as it's used mostly by KLM and Flybe and they i'd have thought would be happy with steps. It'll probably be 10 unless a new western pier is built next winter and it's used for that.

Last edited:
Not till next winter i believe and i have no idea which stand they are putting it on. The bridge on 10 isn't young and the one on 9 is condemned but i honestly don't believe that stand needs a bridge as it's used mostly by KLM and Flybe and they i'd have thought would be happy with steps. It'll probably be 10 unless a new western pier is built next winter and it's used for that.
I think putting it on 9 would be a good idea. Meaning that Thomas Cook and Vueling continue using 10, then 9 and 7 can be used for anybody like klm, TUI and Flybe if they ever wish.

I think putting it on 9 would be a good idea. Meaning that Thomas Cook and Vueling continue using 10 then 9 and 7 can be used for anybody like klm, TUI and Flybe if they ever wish.
From what i've just been told stand 7 will be moving over a bit from where it is and currently in the space where stand 1,2 and 3 are there will be 5 stands. I've done a rough diagram of what the post on the Cardiff Airport ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- page said. Hopefully that'll explain better. The airbridge will be able to extend to 7L and is fully movable and only stand 1 will be usable when the 787 or other widebodies are on stand and the airbridge is the red blob sticking out!:LOL:
stands .jpg

Looking at the drawing on ***Links to other Social Media platforms are not permitted***- I cant work out exactly how the gates are going to be laid out. Previously the exit to Stand/Gate 3 was separate to that of Gate/Stand 7 (Airbridge) and Gate 8 (Down the stairs) which were linked. I guess 8 would become it's own exit and 7 would be mixed with 3, so that Gate 8 can be used at the same time.
What I can't work out is if Stands 1 & 2 are nose in stands, unless there's a plan to improve Gate 2, which effectively goes through the bar, there's no decent access to get to stand 2.

Looking at the drawing on Social Media I cant work out exactly how the gates are going to be laid out. Previously the exit to Stand/Gate 3 was separate to that of Gate/Stand 7 (Airbridge) and Gate 8 (Down the stairs) which were linked. I guess 8 would become it's own exit and 7 would be mixed with 3, so that Gate 8 can be used at the same time.
What I can't work out is if Stands 1 & 2 are nose in stands, unless there's a plan to improve Gate 2, which effectively goes through the bar, there's no decent access to get to stand 2.
With the gates i can't really see anything changing. Gate 3 will still be for stand 3 and Gate 7 will be for stand 7 and 7L as only 1 of them can be used at a time and with Gate 8 as long as only 1 stand is boarding then it could be used for stand 8 and 8R. Isn't Gate 1 already used for stand 1 and surely it's the same as before if stand 1 and 3 are in use then stand 2 can't be used and if stands 1 and 2 are in use then stand 3 can't be used so Gate 3 could be used for stand 2.
So it could be that Gate 1 can be used for stands 1 and 2, Gate 3 for stands 2 and 3, Gate 7 for stands 7 and 7L and gate 8 for stands 8 and 8R.
Apparently the Gates will remain unchanged.

Last edited:
Stand 1, 3 and 7 can all be used at the same time at the moment. If Stand 2 is used then stands 1 & 3 are out of use.
Looking at the layout of the plan shown, If Stand 7 is in use, then stand 3 can't be used and I would doubt stand 2 could be used either as the wingspan would be too wide for anything on 7.
Currently you can use 1, 3, 7/8 all at the same time. Looking at this new layout it looks like 1, 3/7 and 8 can all be used at the same time, so I guess no loss of gates.
Depending on the exact position of the 787 parked on 7/7L, pushbacks from Stand 1 may be interesting for anything bigger than E195!

Looking at the layout of the plan shown, If Stand 7 is in use, then stand 3 can't be used and I would doubt stand 2 could be used either as the wingspan would be too wide for anything on 7.
If there is a 787 on 7L then i've been told only stand 1 can be used.
Depending on the exact position of the 787 parked on 7/7L, pushbacks from Stand 1 may be interesting for anything bigger than E195!
Generally though it is only Flybe that regularly use those stands so i'd imagine anything bigger like a TUI or Ryanair 737 would be boarded elsewhere if the 787 is on stand.

Airbridge 9 is getting replaced with the same type of airbridge as this can be used by KLM and then potentially Flybe when KLM are not in. I was initially told this is to take place next winter however there have been rumours this week that they may bring this forward.

I hear airbridge 10 is to be refurbished and not replaced.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock