kraktoa

Jun 16, 2013
Which British Airport holds the trophy for being located the furthest away from a dual carriageway? The airport should be one that takes commercial flights.

I don't know the answer hence asking. I suspect that the dubious honour goes to Bristol. Asking on here as i have not used all the British airports regularly enough to form an opinion but am sure there are enough experts on here who can answer.

kraktoa said:
Which British Airport holds the trophy for being located the furthest away from a dual carriageway? The airport should be one that takes commercial flights.

I don't know the answer hence asking. I suspect that the dubious honour goes to Bristol. Asking on here as i have not used all the British airports regularly enough to form an opinion but am sure there are enough experts on here who can answer.

Similar could be said about many airports in the UK. It is my opinion that it isn't necessarily a problem to not have duel carriageway or motorway links to airport so long as the journey times are kept to a minimum. It's probably a couple of years now since I last visited Bristol airport and so far as I could tell the roads didn't cause any problem. The areas around BRS are largely speaking rural so road congestion shouldn't be a problem. Similar can be said for places like Norwich airport and other UK and European airports.

My local airport, LBA is served by A roads, the A658 between Bradford and Harrogate and the A65 which runs from Leeds to Skipton and onwards. The airports sits in the North West of Leeds on the edge on the conurbation of Leeds and Bradford. The A658 suffers from severe congestion all the way from Bradford to the airport. The A65 suffers from severe congestion from Leeds to as far as Menston.

Looking at Google Earth the M5 is around six and a half miles away when measured in a straight line. However, to actually access it at its nearest point - probably the Clevedon junction - it would be nearly twice that distance.

Although Bristol as a city is extremely well connected by rail and and road - the city lies on a major motorway crossroads and has a long distance rail network that goes all around the compass points - the problems arise in Bristol itself. Being an ancient city its road network is literally in the horse and carriage age in many central areas in terms of narrowness, and its one-way systems are legendary but for all the wrong reasons. No wonder it has some of the slowest driving times of any city in the country.

In the 1600s the great diarist Samuel Pepys when on a visit to Bristol described it as 'in every respect another London' but added that it was surrounded by corn fields. I tend to think that today Pepys would still recognise much of the city that wasn't destroyed by the Luftwaffe and post war planners, hence the lack of a good road system.

Now if a connection could be made from the M5 with BRS that would be a massive improvement but that's as likely as an Emirates A380 flying to Dubai every day from Lulsgate. Even the South Bristol Link Road which is currently under construction won't be a dual carriageway so far as I can see, although it ought to improve travel times on the M5-Avonnmouth-Portway route to/from the airport.

The road at the front of EMA is not a dual carriageway,or at least it wasn't.
It is a busy A road but whenever I have visited EMA I have not been delayed by heavy traffic.
The same cannot be said for my local airport BHX.Despite being encircled with dual carriageways,we also have the rail station,NEC complex/resorts world,plus the busy junction 6 of the M42 close by.
It can be an absolute nightmare at times.So I have to agree with Aviadors comment in that respect!!!

Sorry BlueManc but, for the fun of it, I'll throw in Papa Westray. Before anybody asks this airport has the privilege of being one end of the world's shortest scheduled flight which operates from Westray to Papa Westray (in the Orkneys) and is regularly flown in under 2 minutes.

I asked this question exactly word for word in 2015. Why is this new member doing a copy paste job on previously asked questions. Moderators may wish to ask?

I asked this question exactly word for word in 2015. Why is this new member doing a copy paste job on previously asked questions. Moderators may wish to ask?
I have moved today's new posts to your original thread kraktoa, as some members have added new contributions to the topic. See also Scottie Dog's post #9 above.

Since I posted in this thread five years ago a couple of things have altered re BRS and the nearest dual carriageway. Although there is no dualling of the A38 between the airport and Bristol with the nearest stretch on the A38 itself being a couple of hundred yards or so in length near East Brent north of Highbridge about 15 miles south of the airport, there are plans for a short stretch of dual carriageway on the A38 between the airport and Lulsgate Bottom through the bottleneck near the Airport Tavern.

The airport is seeking compulsory purchase orders for various parcels of land to facilitate this scheme; it already owns a couple of properties whose land would be needed. The dualling would only go ahead if the airport wins its planning appeal.

I think the nearest bit of dual carriageway now is about five miles from the airport on an extremely short section of the South Bristol Link Road at Bishopsworth. It's barely worthy of the name. There are a number of longer sections of dual carriageway on the ring road between the South Bristol Link Road and the A4 at Brislington, along the route of the Bath Air Decker.

Thats another bit of duel carriageway in front the evening post offices,then it goes into the underpass.And we must not forget the bit in front of Temple meads rail station.

Thats another bit of duel carriageway in front the evening post offices,then it goes into the underpass.And we must not forget the bit in front of Temple meads rail station.
Agreed. There are lots of stretches of dual carriageway in and around Bristol including the M32 coming into the central area, but I was thinking of roads that more directly impact access to the airport.

That said, many of the main roads that radiate out from the centre have relatively few stretches of dual carriageway. Even the inner circuit road around the central area is not dualled for its entire length.

Because Bristol is an ancient city its road structure in the central areas still has to take account of many roads, often major thoroughfares to the outskirts and beyond, that were originally laid out well before the stagecoach era. Its many hills don't help either. Although a certain Mr Hitler aided by postwar planners did their best to help by razing to the ground large sections of inner Bristol, the problem of Bristol's often medieval road layout remains.

The ever-increasing enthusiasm of the elected mayor and council to narrow and close roads to vehicular traffic for the benefit of cyclists and pedestrians is another obstacle in the way of free-running city traffic as a whole.

We use Melbourne Tullamarine Airport when we visit our relatives in Oz. Despite handing over 35 million passengers a year MEL has no rail link (it might be getting one but previous plans have always fallen through). The main link is from Southern Cross railway station in the heart of Melbourne on the edge of the CBD and is by Skybus a 24/7 operation very similar to BRS's A1. The difference is that once it leaves the confines of the central area streets, which last for no more than about a mile, the rest of the Skybus journey is on Freeways (motorways). Although MEL is nearly twice as far from central Melbourne than BRS from central Bristol, the journey time from Southern Cross is about the same as that between TM and BRS, and quicker than the one between the Bristol bus/coach station and BRS.

That's what BRS surface connectivity lacks. The Metrobus busway and South Bristol Link Road now used for part of the A1 journey do help to speed things up or at least enable the buses to keep more to the timetable but a dual carriageway for most of the way would be a much better solution, especially one not encumbered with roundabouts along its route. I won't see it in my lifetime. I wonder if anyone will.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock