A few disappointing figures on what might be considered blue chip routes.
Barcelona,Madrid,Frankfurt,Milan,Copenhagen.Paris CDG all down.
Hopefully it is a blip and not an indication that the airport is becoming more well known as a bucket and spade airport.

Vueling had over 9,000 passengers on BHX-Orly. A few might have been plundered from CDG but it would be a massive disappointment if they're not continuing beyond March.

Yeah i agree and im hoping it will become available after March 2018 very soon. :cautious:

A real achievement especially considering that in 2013 we'd only just got back above 9 million. In four years we've added almost as many pax as EMA currently handle.

I notice that the announcement on social media has bought out the moaners. I'd like BHX to release some plans about expanding the current set up in the future rather than talking about what has already been done. A little 'hearts and minds' campaign could do wonders (y)

Anyone know the rolling 12 month total and how we compare to EDI? Things must be getting close now?

A real achievement especially considering that in 2013 we'd only just got back above 9 million. In four years we've added almost as many pax as EMA currently handle.

I notice that the announcement on social media has bought out the moaners. I'd like BHX to release some plans about expanding the current set up in the future rather than talking about what has already been done. A little 'hearts and minds' campaign could do wonders (y)

Anyone know the rolling 12 month total and how we compare to EDI? Things must be getting close now?
12,896,469 up 16.5%. EDI 13,081,390.

September looks as if it will be a close one.

I reckon there is a chance we may overtake EDI this year, if not there shouldn't be too much in it?

I think if not this years then certainly next year. The Jan-Aug totals last year (2016) has BHX & EDI within ~500,000 pax of each other. The equivalent for this year is ~50,000.

One thing I've also noticed is that the month with the highest passengers occurs earlier for EDI (July) than for BHX (August). Are the Scottish summer holidays earlier than down here?

Yes
I think if not this years then certainly next year. The Jan-Aug totals last year (2016) has BHX & EDI within ~500,000 pax of each other. The equivalent for this year is ~50,000.

One thing I've also noticed is that the month with the highest passengers occurs earlier for EDI (July) than for BHX (August). Are the Scottish summer holidays earlier than down here?

To answer your question on Scottish summer break....yes.

August Passenger Growth (sorry for the delay, been away on holidays)

January - 776,646 (+16.3%)
February - 809,239 (+11.7%)
March - 904,814 (+8.9%)
April - 1,063,571 (+21.7%)
May - 1,202,880 (+19.4%)
June - 1,302,204 (+16.3%)
July - 1,435,875 (+17.5%)
August - 1,495,578 (+16.2%) *(Highest Monthly Figure on Record!)*
September -
October -
November -
December -

Year to date total = 8,990,807
Year to date growth = +16.0%

Rolling 12 month total = 12,896,469 (+16.5%) – fast approaching the 13m pax a year figure, which we now know we passed 23rd September….

So summer is coming to an end Jet2 continue to making their presence known and growth from the likes of Vueling, Blue Air and Monarch are playing their part. So applying the average rolling 12 months growth to our 2016 pax numbers, this gives us a 2017 projection of circa 13,565,000 pax for 2017….

We are now over half way through the year, and with this being the first Christmas being operated by jet2, I would expect similar growth to continue throughout the rest of 2017. The 13.4-13.5m figure then is now looking likely. We may see a little dip as this will be the first winter without United, Norwegian and the Vueling spanish routes and EK reductions, but the dominant force here is jet2 and this is their first winter with a 4 a/c base…

Yet again the figures really do speak for themselves, and whilst it hasn’t always been pretty with regard to the infrastructure, you can now see why. For the second time this year, BHX has passed/thrashed EDI in the summer peak by a pretty decent 95,000 pax margin. BHX is also the only major UK airport growing more then double-digit growth in August!

• LHR 7.48m +1.9%
  • LGW 4.71m +3.2%
  • MAN 3.17m +7.9%
  • STN 2.72m +9.9%
  • LTN 1.61m +6.8%
  • BHX 1.49m +16.2%
  • EDI 1.41m +8.3%
  • GLA 1.01m +7.0%

…and it gets better, in July, BHX grew by more than 208,000 Pax, Manchester ‘only’ grew by 230,000 Pax… again, I find it amazing to think that this summer we have been growing in real terms pretty similar to MAN!!!!

August Passenger Growth (sorry for the delay, been away on holidays)

January - 776,646 (+16.3%)
February - 809,239 (+11.7%)
March - 904,814 (+8.9%)
April - 1,063,571 (+21.7%)
May - 1,202,880 (+19.4%)
June - 1,302,204 (+16.3%)
July - 1,435,875 (+17.5%)
August - 1,495,578 (+16.2%) *(Highest Monthly Figure on Record!)*
September -
October -
November -
December -

Year to date total = 8,990,807
Year to date growth = +16.0%

Rolling 12 month total = 12,896,469 (+16.5%) – fast approaching the 13m pax a year figure, which we now know we passed 23rd September….

So summer is coming to an end Jet2 continue to making their presence known and growth from the likes of Vueling, Blue Air and Monarch are playing their part. So applying the average rolling 12 months growth to our 2016 pax numbers, this gives us a 2017 projection of circa 13,565,000 pax for 2017….

We are now over half way through the year, and with this being the first Christmas being operated by jet2, I would expect similar growth to continue throughout the rest of 2017. The 13.4-13.5m figure then is now looking likely. We may see a little dip as this will be the first winter without United, Norwegian and the Vueling spanish routes and EK reductions, but the dominant force here is jet2 and this is their first winter with a 4 a/c base…

Yet again the figures really do speak for themselves, and whilst it hasn’t always been pretty with regard to the infrastructure, you can now see why. For the second time this year, BHX has passed/thrashed EDI in the summer peak by a pretty decent 95,000 pax margin. BHX is also the only major UK airport growing more then double-digit growth in August!

• LHR 7.48m +1.9%
  • LGW 4.71m +3.2%
  • MAN 3.17m +7.9%
  • STN 2.72m +9.9%
  • LTN 1.61m +6.8%
  • BHX 1.49m +16.2%
  • EDI 1.41m +8.3%
  • GLA 1.01m +7.0%

…and it gets better, in July, BHX grew by more than 208,000 Pax, Manchester ‘only’ grew by 230,000 Pax… again, I find it amazing to think that this summer we have been growing in real terms pretty similar to MAN!!!!

Great to have you back Woody, I hope you had a really nice holiday.

Ex BHX ?

Yes good to have you back (y)

Thanks for doing the analysis, I've been looking forward to reading it :)

Still no official release from the airport!

Another interesting fact ...

By August 2017 this year, we carried carried more pax in the first 8 months than we did in the entire year for 2012 ....it will not be beyond the realms of possibility that by the end of this year, BHX coined have grown by 4,500,000 pax or over 51% in just 5 years!!

Unfortunately I didn't fly BHX, I fly LBA-AMS ...it was a free flight from Jet2 competition in the time before the BHX base was operating! So I'm not adding to those pax numbers in sept but don't worry, I also wasn't contributing to the LBA yields either!!!

What is wrong with the 'marketing' dept. at BHX? To have no web article of the record highest ever month and now 13 m passengers days later...seems barmy to me and not a sign of good management.

We can look at this as either a bad thing or a potentially good thing.

Either BHX management has fallen apart with P.Kehoe there,

Or

They're holding off on announcing passenger figures to coincide with the launch of a master plan. For all we know it may be coming soon, and they're wanting to make a big thing of it.

I had a look at the BHX webpage for the master plan and found it slightly amusing if not frustrating that it still says they'll put the master plan out for consultation in Spring 2017 :rolleyes:

Or, as I said elsewhere, they are fed up of the snide, negative comments every time they release a good news story.

It seems that whenever there is an article about pax increases, new airlines or routes it is immediately followed by negative comments with 'third world' or 'national joke' hashtags. I know there has been issues this summer but with the amount of passenger increases across the UK I don't think there has been a major airport that hasn't had problems at peak times. I've seen real horror stories about MAN this summer, some of it as bad, if not worse, than BHX, yet when they Tweet about Virgin increases there are 30 odd replies saying what great news and that people cannot wait to book! Conversely BHX recently retweeted a KLM article about flights to the USA, the reply was a picture of a suitcase that had fallen off a baggage belt! I mean really? As if Birmingham is the only airport in the world where the odd suitcase doesn't take a tumble. The same person Tweeted the same pictures in reply to Birmingham's guide for those with Autism travelling through! There are endless examples on social media.

Many of the replies come from a select few who do seem to have an agenda but the negativity of those in our region really does get to me at times. I am Birmingham Tweeted a Lonely Planet article about Birmingham being such a great tourist destination and you guessed it, negative replies. Even one about bin bags despite the strike ending.

Apologies for the moan but it really annoys me when people from the region constantly feel the need to put it down, as if we don't have enough of it already from certain sections of the media. Maybe one day we'll learn to appreciate what we have and start to tell the world.

Off for my morning brew now, I'll feel better after that :coffee:

Don't get me started.Those who moan and whinge about how bad Birmingham is should go and live in a third world country and see what the reality is. The problem nowadays is there are one too many whose expectations are too high, want everything for nothing and find it easier to demean others through social media.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock