A380s coming in for maintenance is surely good business for MAEL BHX but in practical terms what would this mean? If one A380 is inside and bearing in mind its sheer dimensions, could this cut down on what else can be accommodated? Could this lead to MAEL feeling the need to invest in another hangar at BHX?

This appears to be line maintence only, which is conducted on aircraft turn around. Doesn't appear to be for overhaul visits.

Therefore, it appears to be for the EK A380 at this time.

This appears to be line maintence only, which is conducted on aircraft turn around. Doesn't appear to be for overhaul visits.

Therefore, it appears to be for the EK A380 at this time.

My grey matter juices got going on this one and this my interpretation:

1) Heathrow have only Virgin and BA hangerage and are unlikely to open up to competitors.

2) Gatwick likewise.

3) Manchester Monarch facilities are slated for closure or significant reduction of capacity.

4) Birmingham is still a new facility and rumored for expansion.

Now then, Norwegian has completed a fleet maintenance programme for Dreamliner.

Is it not beyond the intellectual capacity of the bean counters at Emirates, Etihad and Qantas, Singapore and indeed Qatar to bring their A380 to Birmingham for a simple oil change and general wash and brush up?

As for hangarage space, some of the work can be due on the apron but was not the hanger built for multiple widebodies?

It's unlikely EK/EY/QF/SQ or QR would send their aircraft half way around the world for work in Birmingham.

Point one is that the facilities at their home bases are second to none, they have all the hangar age and MX they could want, and then in their part of the world, there are other hangars available with much lower labour costs to do the big MX.

It's also unfeasable that they could shuttle the flights up to BHX between LHR flights, slots are like gold dust at LHR and they won't want to use them ferrying empty aircraft around.

This contract for A380's does actually state it is for line maintence, which is the small spannering on turn around between flights. This means it will primarily be for Emirates, or perhaps any aircraft that divert to BHX.

User 001, you put it better than I could but I was thinking aloud! It also raises the question as to why the original post was published?

Monarch have enough work at Birmingham and if Manchester closes it's facilities then although certified, A380's are to be bonus works.

Monarch will still have its line maintence at Manchester, the hangar at Manchester has been barely used in the last few months anyway, so I'm assuming all work has already transferred.

Like I say, the line maintence is for turn arounds, monarch have a few contracts for this, such as Vueling, Emirates and I believe Qatar at BHX (Qatar is in-house at MAN and LHR)

A380 approval is for line maintenance only, no one in their hangar has had training on A380. Bordeaux carry out EK A380 Maintenance as well as Dubai.

MAEL will be doing 738 line maintenance for Norwegian at BHX and MAN.

Monarch Aircraft Engineering Limited (MAEL), the engineering division of Monarch, a leading UK independent airline group, are pleased to announce that they have signed an agreement with Norwegian to provide line maintenance services to their Boeing 737NG operation at Birmingham and Manchester Airports.

The agreement, which will be ongoing, is an extension to the support that MAEL’s engineering teams currently provide the low-cost airline’s Boeing 737NG operation at Gatwick.

Dave Norton, Head of Sales at Monarch Aircraft Engineering, said: “We are an industry leading MRO and are delighted that Norwegian continues to choose Monarch as their preferred supplier.”

Erik Nordby, Technical Director of Norwegian, said: “This strategic partnership with Monarch Aircraft Engineering is critical to our business in supporting our operations from Birmingham and Manchester.”

http://www.monarchaircraftengineering.com/News/Details/180

I was just musing that Norwegian and Jet2 will have the same B737 model, serving the same airport and that there is an accredited facility on site for maintenance tasks as needs arise. In time, TUI/THOMSON shall also be operating the B737 Max so I can see expansion of MAEL at BHX as it shall be the centralized facility for England.

WOW indeed. What a lovely sight to feast upon. I regularly see them overfly my home as they descend towards Gatwick, cannot miss them as the colour is striking and lovely.

I believe the -300 version is better as proportions are balanced.

I earnestly hope someday that a few A340's may visit soon for similar care!!

God has it been 3 years already!

What's happened to the Norwegian contract? Notice the last B787 went to BA engineering in Cardiff?

God has it been 3 years already!

What's happened to the Norwegian contract? Notice the last B787 went to BA engineering in Cardiff?
BA Cardiff is now a Boeing goldcare provider and are hoping there are more to come. Has monarch lost the goldcare contract?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock