I notice that Edinburgh is now on the drop down list on the bmi website but no details of flights. Anything to come ?

Wonder if they'll try and use it to provide islands connection with Loganair. Maybe to go against Flybe and Eastern at CWL?

I notice that Edinburgh is now on the drop down list on the bmi website but no details of flights. Anything to come ?
I've heard nothing. Seems an odd one taking on easyJet that has 25 rotations per week including five on Mondays and Fridays.

The only niche timing that would not conflict with easyJet might be a flight from BRS around 0900 and getting back around midday.

Going back about 12-15 years easyJet operated 3 x daily to EDI and back against 5 x daily by the BA franchisee. A broadly similar arrangement occurred on BRS-GLA then too.

I'd still be very surprised if bmir did start an EDI service against easyJet. They did so on the CDG but easyJet had declined to increase their single daily service.

Sounds too similar to Flybe. Could there be a branding lawsuit here?
Yes it does sound similar but surely BMIs legal team would've stopped it if there was the potential for legal action?

The original bmi used flybmi.com. If Flybe had no issues then, they can't have issues now! Found this

"bmi regional might become bmi
As part of the agreement with IAG, Sector Aviation Holdings bought the bmi regional brand and it has full rights to the bmi name from 01-Apr-2013. “We could drop regional and fly as bmi”, Mr O’Connell confirmed. But it is unlikely the airline will modify its existing brand in the near future given the intrinsic regional make-up of its fleet and network."

https://centreforaviation.com/insig...es-to-launch-as-an-independent-operator-83739

It looks like BMI may start a Bristol to Gothenburg 2 weekly on Thursdays and Mondays from the 25th January.
At the moment it is in the schedule but not on sale, it looks like then that the returns are on the next day so it looks like the aircraft will be operating another possibly new route from Gothenburg and over nighting. The route isn't onsale but is in the timetable.
BRS-GOT 13.40-16.50 for both Thursday and Mondays.
GOT-BRS 11.40-13.00 for Fridays and GOT-BRS 14.40-16.00 for Tuesdays.

Great news! But also, I'm telling y'all, there is a pattern. In the same vein, I've also recently been to Oslo so chances are we'll be seeing direct flights within 12 months ;)
When SAS operated Oslo for a summer season at 3 x weekly in 2008 they carried over 14,000 passengers. By 2009 SAS had gone into near meltdown and had axed 40% of its route network and the Oslo flight from BRS was one of the casualties. It also axed the 2 x weekly limited summer season Stockholm that had also operated the previous summer and came back for two limited summers in 2014 and 2015. Load factors on the B 737-600s were always high but SAS must have decided there were better opportunities elsewhere with both Stockholm and Oslo.

easyJet loads on Stockholm seem pretty decent but perhaps not quite as high as the other new route - Athens - where there have been some sell-outs.

Gothenburg is a surprise though. I don't know what if any commercial links there are between that city and the West Country.

When SAS operated Oslo for a summer season at 3 x weekly in 2008 they carried over 14,000 passengers. By 2009 SAS had gone into near meltdown and had axed 40% of its route network and the Oslo flight from BRS was one of the casualties. It also axed the 2 x weekly limited summer season Stockholm that had also operated the previous summer and came back for two limited summers in 2014 and 2015. Load factors on the B 737-600s were always high but SAS must have decided there were better opportunities elsewhere with both Stockholm and Oslo.

easyJet loads on Stockholm seem pretty decent but perhaps not quite as high as the other new route - Athens - where there have been some sell-outs.

Gothenburg is a surprise though. I don't know what if any commercial links there are between that city and the West Country.
I do wonder if they will essentially be onsale positioning legs to get the aircraft to GOT to operate another route.

I do wonder if they will essentially be onsale positioning legs to get the aircraft to GOT to operate another route.

I wondered about that.

Bristol BRS - Goteborg Landvetter GOT flights are now on sale on the flybmi website.

First flight Monday 22nd January 2018, BM1857 Dep BRS 1340, Arr GOT 1650 block time of 2hrs 10mins.

First return flight Tuesday 23rd January 2018, BM1856 Dep GOT 1440, Arr BRS 1600 block time of 2hrs 20mins.

The only other route from GOT is BHX, looking at the timings it looks like its ties in, I maybe wrong.

It would be interesting to see Oslo too. I wonder if we could see a tie up with sas ?

Looking at the times i don't think they tally up with BHX. The BHX return on Monday's departs at 16.45 5 mins before the BRS flight arrives and on Thursday's the departure from GOT is at 09.50. I think they'll operate a new route out of Gothenburg or they could be operating a 2 weekly charter somewhere for a company that requires a layover somewhere for the crew. Will be interesting to see what the route is.

Airport press release now issued. https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...launches-new-route-from-bristol-to-gothenburg

bmi launches new route from Bristol to Gothenburg
Created: 22nd Dec 2017

bmi has announced plans to launch a new route from Bristol to Gothenburg.

Launching on 22 January 2018, bmi will be operating a twice weekly route between the two cities.

This brings the number of destinations served by bmi from Bristol to nine. The bmi network out of Bristol includes Paris, Milan, Munich, Brussels, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Hamburg and Aberdeen. Bristol is bmi’s biggest UK hub and with onward connections via the likes of Munich, Brussels and Frankfurt, customers from the South West can travel further into Europe and other global destinations.

Gothenburg is the airline’s first Swedish route from Bristol. It is the location of Scandinavia’s largest port and is a hub for global trade, currently enjoying unprecedented economic growth. It is a popular mini break destination thanks to its fabulous food, eclectic culture and vibrant nightlife, as well as being the gateway to the stunning coast of West Sweden.

Commenting on the launch, bmi’s Chief Commercial Officer, Jochen Schnadt said:
“As part of our ongoing strategy to connect key business regions, it was a natural choice to increase our service offering to/from Gothenburg by adding a further Gothenburg Route to our network connecting Sweden’s 2nd largest city to our largest UK Base in Bristol. Given our experiences on the Birmingham to Gothenburg market so far, we believe this new route will prove attractive to business as well as leisure customers alike enjoying bmi’s service of fast and convenient air-services.”

Nigel Scott, Business Development Director Bristol Airport said:
“We are delighted with the announcement of the new Gothenburg route operating twice weekly from Bristol Airport. This extends the choice of destinations available to passengers from the South West and Wales, whether travelling for business or leisure. The route also provides inbound visitors using Bristol Airport, ease of access, whether it is for a city break, visiting the various tourist attractions and conference venues the region has to offer.”

Fares on the route start from £99 one way. As well as a generous 23kg of hold baggage, the bmi ticket price includes complimentary in-flight drinks and snacks, speedy 30-minute check-ins or online check in and allocated window or aisle only leather seating on its all-jet fleet.

The route will fly out of Bristol on a Monday and Thursday, departing Bristol at 13.40, arriving Gothenburg at 16.50. The return flights will depart Gothenburg on Tuesdays at 14.40 and arrive in Bristol at 16.00 and on Fridays, departing Gothenburg at 11.40, arriving Bristol at 13.00.

Flights are on sale now at flybmi.com

Gothenburg

The initial flight departed for GOT this afternoon.

https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/ab...8/1/new-bristol-to-gothenburg-route-takes-off

Press release now on the BRS website regarding the commencement of this route.

Incidentally, on one of the large advertising hoardings along the Northside Road (main approach road to the terminal) a new advertisement has appeared in the past few days. It's for bmi regional and part of the advert comprises a list of the routes the airline operates from BRS, except that Gothenburg is missing. Being a new route, one might think that if any route ought to be there it's GOT.

bmi’s new Bristol to Gothenburg route takes off

Created: 22nd Jan 2018

bmi further developed its network from its Bristol hub today, as it launched its brand-new flight from Bristol to Gothenburg.

230118-bmi-656x193.ashx

Passengers at Bristol Airport travelling on board the first flight were treated to delicious Swedish ‘fika’, featuring cakes and biscuits made by local Swedish bakery, Fika Bristol. The inaugural flight was also attended by leading business and corporate travel influencers.

The service, which is the latest development in bmi’s ongoing growth strategy to provide connectivity between key regional business destinations in Europe, will operate twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fares on the route start from just £99 one way.

The new route brings the number of destinations served by bmi from Bristol Airport to nine, joining the existing network of Paris, Milan, Munich, Brussels, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Hamburg and Aberdeen. Bristol is bmi’s biggest UK hub and with onward connections via the likes of Munich, Brussels and Frankfurt, customers from the South West can travel further into Europe and other global destinations.

Gothenburg is the airline’s first Swedish route from Bristol. It is the location of Scandinavia’s largest port and is a hub for global trade, currently enjoying unprecedented economic growth. It is a popular mini break destination thanks to its fabulous food, eclectic culture and vibrant nightlife, as well as being the gateway to the stunning coast of West Sweden.

Commenting on the launch, bmi’s Chief Commercial Officer, Jochen Schnadt said:

“As part of our on-going strategy to connect key business regions, it was a natural choice to increase our service offering to and from Gothenburg, connecting Sweden’s second largest city to our largest UK base in Bristol. Given our experiences on the UK to Gothenburg market so far, we believe this new route will prove attractive to business as well as leisure customers alike, who enjoy bmi’s fast and convenient air-services.”

Nigel Scott, Business Development Director Bristol Airport said:

“We are delighted with the launch of the new Gothenburg route operating twice weekly from Bristol Airport. This extends the choice of destinations available to passengers from the South West and Wales, whether travelling for business or leisure. The route also provides inbound visitors, using Bristol Airport, ease of access, whether it is for a city break, visiting the various tourist attractions and conference venues the region has to offer.”

Fares on the route start from £99 one way. As well as a generous 23kg of hold baggage, the bmi ticket price includes complimentary in-flight drinks and snacks, speedy 30-minute check-ins or online check-in and allocated window or aisle only leather seating on its all-jet fleet.

The route flies out of Bristol on a Monday and Thursday, departing Bristol at 13.40, arriving Gothenburg at 16.50. The return flights depart Gothenburg on Tuesdays at 14.40 and arrive in Bristol at 16.00 and on Fridays, departing Gothenburg at 11.40, arriving Bristol at 13.00.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock