Aviador

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 12, 2009
HEAD OFFICE
United-Kingdom
Does Jet2 have it's own handling at Malaga airport does anybody know? The ground equipment looks like Jet2 equipment but I can't quite make it out.

• Admin
Re: Malaga Airport - Thread

I can answer my own question having just zoomed in. It is Jet2 equipment, so I take it they do have their own handling there. I thought it was just Murcia that had self handling other than LBA?

Whenever I have flown into Malaga there has always been, as far as I can remember, Jet2 coloured baggage carts, tugs, vehicles etc. It is quite a big setup they have out there!

I would say given that Malaga is not as popular as destinations such as; Palma and Alicante, they would have a similar if not bigger setup there as well. I would've thought; Faro, Tenerife and Ibiza would have similar setups as well!

Just a little update from when I was travelling through Malaga airport...

The airport itself is receiving a vast amount of traffic compared to a few years ago..!! The Jet2 flight from Leeds Bradford when we have flown previously lands at around midday and there was a time when the baggage reclaim area was empty, now the airport is packed full of passengers at anytime during the day!!

We in-fact arrived on the new runway of which has been in construction, along with the new terminal for several years now and did welcome us with a smooth greeting! Unfortunately the taxi from the runway to the terminal building does take around 10minutes now which is not ideal as everyone just wants to get off the plane, but it did give me and my dad to speak more with the very nice stewardess sat in front of us... ;) ..she and my dad said it was like being at Amsterdam where the taxi seems like an eternity...!!

I have also just put 2+2 together and have realised that the departure route for the old runway has been changed as a result of the new runway... You used to depart over the sea (Rwy13) and turn left over the city of Malaga and then head North (Depending on your arrival airport obviously) but now all departures turn right, heading out to see and turning back over Marbella and then heading North (again depending on your arrival airport). I had originally though thought it was to do with the aircraft capability on the day, due to us being told about that potential fuel stop on my return flight a few days ago!

The new Rwy (12/29) I think for the moment just handles arrivals, whilst the old Rwy (13/30) handles the majority of the traffic with both departures and arrivals. I think this is purely down to convenience as the terminal buildings are situated a lot closer to the Rwy13/30 and so Rwy12/29 handles the arrivals during the rush-hour periods..!

A little more information on that fuel stop I could have had in Malaga; from what I can gather, the crew were told when they left LBA than a fuel stop was basically in the flight plans and was going to be a definite! The plane was slightly delayed on arrival, due to the massive queue of arriving traffic on Rwy30 that I saw from the terminal, and due to the baggage issue Lbia mentioned as well. G-GDFH was my aircraft that parked on the same stand as G-CELJ did as that was leaving when my aircraft arrived..!

The intense heat (it was 41degrees C at 1930hrs Malaga time on that evening) as well as the wind direction and nearly full load of the aircraft meant that we wouldn't have enough of a safety clearance for the mountains at the end of the Rwy30... I think a similar situation with the Chevin and Rwy32 at LBA..

The plan was to fill up light of fuel in Malaga, giving us enough clearance for the mountains and then fill up fully in Alicante where the weather was a little cooler. The other problem was that the wind was too strong for us to simply depart the other way against the traffic originally, but the wind decreased enough for us later on in the evening, to be able to depart against the flow of traffic and in a break in the arrivals which (unfortunately for me) meant we didn't have to go to Alicante...

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, I'm staying just outside Malaga for the week, but only with limited web access. I'm wondering if anyone could find out for me if there are any large aircraft, particularly 747s due in this week, as I can film from virtually the end of the runway as they come overhead.

Cheers!

[textarea]easyJet plane takes off leaving 29 passengers stranded in departure lounge at Spanish airport (but takes their luggage back to Britain)

easyJet left 29 passengers stranded at a Spanish airport while their plane - carrying their luggage - flew back to England without them.

The group, who had checked in on time, were steps away from board the Bristol-bound flight at the departure gate at Malaga.

They had already shown their boarding passes and were past the departure gate, ready to board.

But according to passengers, a member of the ground crew appeared and pulled a security ribbon across their path, blocking their entrance to the gangway leading onto the aircraft.

Minutes later passengers looked through a window and watched as their half-empty plane pulled away from the stand.

Flight number 6056 taxied out and took off on time at 9.15pm on Saturday without them - but with all their bags on board.[/textarea]

Full report at: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml

Apart from the incident itself there are two additional matters I find odd about this.

The first is that an easyJet spokeswoman said the aircraft took off because all the passengers had shown their boarding cards at the gate which indicated they had all boarded and that there was no mandatory requirement for the crew to do a visual head count of the passengers on board.

No mandatory requirement perhaps but it isn't it common practice and common sense? In this case there were 29 missing passengers but on another occasion there might be one or two additional ones ('stowaways') if no count takes place.

I've flown a lot with easyJet and I can never remember a time when the cabin crew hasn't carried out a head count prior to departure. More than once there have been discrepancies because of human error in the counting which has led to recounts leading to us missing our take-off slot on one occasion - at Palma.

The second point is that easyJet said that, 'The bags were all security screened prior to being loaded onto the plane, which occurs on every flight.'

So if this is the case why do airlines always normally make a big issue of offloading a passenger's bags if for any reason the passenger does not fly?

I'm not in the industry but some of our members are. So how can an aircraft take off minus 29 passengers with the flight and cabin crew seemingly unaware. Would it not make a difference to trim and take-off distance calculations for starters if the captain believes he/she is carrying X number of passengers but in reality it's X minus 29.

You are quite right TLY, headcount should check, but it is disconcerting that that they took off with luggage but no people. I always thought that this was mandantory, No passenger, no luggage ie they had smuggled an explosive device on board at no danger to themselves. I think we need to know more about this, it doesn't "add up".

Re: Malaga Airport (AGP) - Thread

Just flew in from Malaga today. The flight sat on the taxiway for about 1/2 hour queueing to take off from runway 31.

Does anyone know why the second runway isn't being used - I have only been on one flight using it a few years ago prior to the official opening. Since then, I have not seen it in use.

Jon Dempsey said:
Just flew in from Malaga today. The flight sat on the taxiway for about 1/2 hour queueing to take off from runway 31.

Does anyone know why the second runway isn't being used - I have only been on one flight using it a few years ago prior to the official opening. Since then, I have not seen it in use.

View media item 3417
Good question. The only information I can find on the internet is it only "opens on the busiest days at peak times". Thinking about it, there are plenty of occasions when Manchester airport doesn't use it's second runway?

Last edited by a moderator:

Great shot of AGP :hatsoff:

Just a question which has bugged me for a long time, why do airports overseas especially the big spanish airports have there parallel taxiway as wide as the main runway. Taxiways at British airports are tiny by comparison even at the big airports like Gatwick and Manchester ??????

The airport in Malaga is now served by a very fast and efficient rail service between Malaga and Fuengirola, including Torremolinos and Benalmadena at 20 minute intervals for most of the day. Having been there for the last week or so, I am unsurprised that the preferred mode of transport is now rail - the bus service on the local roads is terrible.

Unless the rail service has changed recently, by omitting stations to make it quicker, it has been there for at least 20 years.

Does Malaga airport have a viewing area for Spotters?

They do not have a viewing area for spotters although there are plenty of Photographic points around the airport especially in Churriana which is south of the runway so the sun is behind you. If you access flight radar, a lot of pictures that used are taken from there. Easy to work out as the backdrop has the airport name on the Terminal.
You used to be able to go to the eastern end of Terminal 1 which was only used in the peak season, but that is not accessible any more.
I was only at the museum for about a hour so whether anyone would say anything if you are there any longer I don't know. The other snag is that you are looking south, so no good for photographs unless like the day I was there, it is cloudy. It is worth while going to the museum as in addition to the DC3, there is a Kar Air CV440 and Spantax Beech 18 outside.
You can get good photographs from the Railway station of aircraft on the " new" apron and using the "new" runway. Since I usually go in the winter months when it is relatively quiet so never see them used except for "not in service" airlines.

There are plenty of sites on the Internet which will give you more information.

These are not routes you would expect to find at our Holiday airport AGP

Saudia in summer 2018 season plans to resume service to Malaga, based on the airline’s schedule filing. Previously served until summer 2004 season, the Skyteam member intends to operate twice weekly each from Jeddah and Riyadh, however inbound flight will be operating via Casablanca.

Preliminary listing as follows.

Jeddah – Malaga – Casablanca – Jeddah 11JUN18 – 10SEP18 2 weekly
SV371 JED1020 – 1555AGP1710 – 1730CMN1905 – 0255+1JED 789 14

Riyadh – Malaga – Casablanca – Riyadh 09JUN18 – 08SEP18 2 weekly
SV379 RUH1255 – 1835AGP1950 – 2010CMN2145 – 0605+1RUH 789 36

These are not routes you would expect to find at our Holiday airport AGP

Saudia in summer 2018 season plans to resume service to Malaga, based on the airline’s schedule filing. Previously served until summer 2004 season, the Skyteam member intends to operate twice weekly each from Jeddah and Riyadh, however inbound flight will be operating via Casablanca.

Preliminary listing as follows.

Jeddah – Malaga – Casablanca – Jeddah 11JUN18 – 10SEP18 2 weekly
SV371 JED1020 – 1555AGP1710 – 1730CMN1905 – 0255+1JED 789 14

Riyadh – Malaga – Casablanca – Riyadh 09JUN18 – 08SEP18 2 weekly
SV379 RUH1255 – 1835AGP1950 – 2010CMN2145 – 0605+1RUH 789 36
There are a lot of high net-worth foreign property owners on the Golden Mile.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock