easyJet announces largest ever expansion at Manchester Airport
40% growth in passengers expected and the creation of over 175 local jobs

Five new based aircraft supporting five new routes including the airline’s 1000th

easyJet, Europe’s leading airline, has today announced that it’s to undertake its largest ever expansion at Manchester Airport in winter 2018 which will see the airline adding five new aircraft, carrying an extra 1.5m passengers annually and launching five new routes.

With the expansion easyJet will create 175 direct jobs and it’s estimated the move will also lead to 1500 indirectly*, providing a boost to the economy of Greater Manchester with new economic connections for the region to new destinations of Innsbruck, Lanzarote, Faro, Barcelona and Bordeaux - the 1000th for the airline. On sale today the new routes will commence from 2 November 2018.

easyJet flew over 3.5 million passengers from Manchester last year alone, having flown over 10m since the airline commenced operations in 2008. The increase in capacity from 12 to 17 aircraft to 5m passengers a year following expansion represents a 40% increase in growth.

The aircraft will include easyJet’s new A320neo’s which were introduced to the airport last year and enable a 15% reduction in fuel burn, a 15% reduction in CO2 emissions and a 50% noise footprint reduction during the landing and take-off phases compared to the current generation A320 aircraft thereby significantly reducing our impact on local communities.

The airline has flown to and from Manchester for the past 10 years and this expansion will mean more choice for passengers, more regular services to popular destinations and more affordable fares.

Ali Gayward, UK Country Manager, easyJet, said:

“This announcement to expand our operations in Manchester is fantastic news for the North West and will create thousands of new jobs supporting the local economy and both inbound tourism as well as even more choice for consumers in the North West.

“Our growth of an additional five aircraft next summer will be the biggest single investment easyJet will make in the entire network in 2019, and reflects our commitment to Manchester, providing customers even better connectivity with new NEO aircraft to new destinations and more choice than ever before.”

Andrew Cowan, CEO of Manchester Airport, said:

“We’re delighted to see easyJet’s commitment to Manchester Airport and the region with the announcement of five new aircraft and five new routes. It will provide our passengers with even greater choice when they come to book their holidays.

“Their growth will also create hundreds of jobs, which along with the £1bn investment we are making in the transformation of the airport, demonstrates the various ways in which the region benefits from having a thriving international gateway.”

Andy Burnham, Mayor of Greater Manchester, said:

“This expansion by easyJet is to be welcomed and is clear evidence that Greater Manchester is a globally-facing city-region that’s open for business. It is vital that Greater Manchester remains a well-connected travel hub and the creation of five new routes from Manchester Airport will provide us with new business opportunities as well as exciting new travel destinations.

“easyJet’s endorsement of the Airport as the base not only for new routes but their milestone 1,000th route demonstrates Greater Manchester is one of the world’s most outward-facing, dynamic and thriving city-regions. We look forward to continuing to welcome visitors from across the globe.”

In 2017 almost 3.5 million passengers flew with easyJet to and from the airport - a figure which is expected rise to 5 million next year.

Manchester Airport

What is the possibility of Zurich, returning with easyjet? This is a route only operated by Swiss/Helvetic and with outrageous pricing! surely with the current fleet expansion and new routes being introduced Zurich must be in with a shout.

I flew Manchester - Zagreb return with Monarch shortly before the company collapsed. Both flights were full. Obviously, the yield is unknown, but demand appeared to be there. I had hoped that another carrier might have stepped up by now.

Confirmation from the start of season Winter 2018 ACL report:

Based aircraft increase from 12 o 14 with new destinations of Lanzarote, Barcelona, Bordeaux, Budapest, Faro, Innsbruck and Lisbon.

Previously rumoured but now apparently confirmed. easyJet will increase to 17 based aircraft for Summer 2019. Amongst new routes are Brindisi, Figari, Kalamata, Nice and Jerez. Talk of a couple of UK routes but I'll say no more at this moment in time.

easyJet's S19 MXP service is now showing as being operated by a non-based EJU (easyJet Europe) aircraft.

Any ideas when easyjet are likely to announce the new routes and put them on sale? I thought they were due to announce before Xmas? Assuming the routes start in July / August there’s not much lead in time left to sell the seats.

On another forum, a poster indicated they had heard that easyjet were having problems accommodating their proposed additional based a/c. in peak summer. It seems strange if slots have been allocated suggesting there is runway and terminal capacity in T1 bearing in mind Jet2 moving more a/c to T2. However, if it is true, then it would explain the delay in announcing new routes and would be very disappointing.

As far as I know, the new routes introduced this winter are continuing into summer which presumably would mean there will be 14 based a/c required - 2 more than last summer - unless frequencies have been trimmed on some existing routes.

Perhaps someone can confirm whether easyjet will have the 17 based a/c as announced and if new routes are still being finalised.

The current schedule requires 15x based aircraft (3x A319, 12x A320) around the beginning of August, with another A320 based after the 12th August making 16x based (+4 A320 on 2018).

By the week beginning the 19th August there will be 293 departures per week which will be 51 departures per week more than the same time in 2018 including 6 new routes - ACE, BCN, BOD, BUD, FAO & LIS.

An update on easyJet's expansion at Manchester.

Currently 14 based aircraft. Based aircraft 15 arrives on 24th May, 16th on 2nd August and the 17th will be based from 9th August.

Update on aircraft arrival. Apparently #15 will not start until 14th June. The start dates for the next 2 remain as previously advised.

By the looks of the current schedule towards the end of August 2019, the 17x based aircraft will be made up of 4x A319 and 13x A320.
There will be 297 departures per week over 54 routes.

Back in August 2018, there was 12x based aircraft made up of 3x A319 and 9x A320 operating 242 departures per week over 48 routes.

That's an increase of 5x based aircraft (1x A319, 4x A320) and 55x extra departures per week (as well as 6x new routes!)

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock