I remember my first holiday abroad in 1986 with my mom and dad and sister, we went to Alcudia in Majorca with travel company Intasun/Lancaster/Global ILG and our flight ticket had an AO (Aviaco) flight number however i remember the day very well as i was sooooooooooo excited we went to Palma de Mallorca on a Iberia 727 (y)

The next year we went back and went on a Spantax DC8 going out and a British Airtours 737-200 on the return. Awesome

British Airtours and then changed to CKT when the prefix changed to 3 letters.
KT was the IATA code and CKT the ICAO code.

A random question but are there many on here that used to use the viewing deck at BHX. I ask because I met many characters since starting spotting in 1993 when I was 12 and just wondering if any of you are on here or know any stories of anyone that used to go up there or how they are getting on.

Some interesting airline codes on the departures board. Orion (KG) was well represented. Anyone know who the 'celebrity' was at the end of the clip? I presume it was a celebrity.

I thought for a moment it was Roger Moore...

He looks like the crusty partner in Howard's Way to me, TLY

Probably someone from Crossroads!

A random question but are there many on here that used to use the viewing deck at BHX. I ask because I met many characters since starting spotting in 1993 when I was 12 and just wondering if any of you are on here or know any stories of anyone that used to go up there or how they are getting on.

When I was a regular in the early 90s I used to see Patrick Burns quite a lot.
Patrick is now the political editor on Midlands Today.
I think he had an interest in the airports develpoment and it’s impact both to business and the community.

When I was a regular in the early 90s I used to see Patrick Burns quite a lot.
Patrick is now the political editor on Midlands Today.
I think he had an interest in the airports develpoment and it’s impact both to business and the community.
I also saw Patrick Burns in the viewing lounge on several occasions (I recognised him from 'Midlands Today'). Whenever I saw him, he was dressed casualy (jumper, jeans), so I assumed he wasn't there for filming. I never got to speak to him, even though I stood next to him more than once.
I would regularly meet up with a couple of guys named Andy and Roy. Sadly, I've not heard anything of them for a couple of decades or so.
Another person who was a great friend (and I've since lost touch with), was Nigel M. He was a very accomplished classical musicican (Pianist and conductor) and at one time was head of department at Nottingham University Music department.
There are others that I remember - 'H', 'Ash' and 'the pole' spring to mind. Usually, they woulgd be seen playing cards in the seating area next to the cafe. If anything unusual landed, they would stampede into the viewing area and as soon as they had read off the 'reg', return to their game of cards.
There was one other person who absolutely stood out. This was the lady who ran the cafe in the viewing lounge.
I remember one Christmas Eve, driving back from Nottingham (taking a very 'long way round) to bloxwich calling in at BHX.
The lady running the cafe had put on a Christmas spread (mince pies etc) which she gave away for free to the regular customers.

Kevin

Last edited:
I have an old black and white photo of me getting off a British Airtours 707 in Girona with my Nan, having arrived from Gatwick....basin hair cut....and wearing a mac !!

I also saw Patrick Burns in the viewing lounge on several occasions (I recognised him from 'Midlands Today'). Whenever I saw him, he was dressed casualy (jumper, jeans), so I assumed he wasn't there for filming. I never got to speak to him, even though I stood next to him more than once.
I would regularly meet up with a couple of guys named Andy and Roy. Sadly, I've not heard anything of them for a couple of decades or so.
Another person who was a great friend (and I've since lost touch with), was Nigel M. He was a very accomplished classical musicican (Pianist and conductor) and at one time was head of department at Nottingham University Music department.
There are others that I remember - 'H', 'Ash' and 'the pole' spring to mind. Usually, they woulgd be seen playing cards in the seating area next to the cafe. If anything unusual landed, they would stampede into the viewing area and as soon as they had read off the 'reg', return to their game of cards.
There was one other person who absolutely stood out. This was the lady who ran the cafe in the viewing lounge.
I remember one Christmas Eve, driving back from Nottingham (taking a very 'long way round) to bloxwich calling in at BHX.
The lady running the cafe had put on a Christmas spread (mince pies etc) which she gave away for free to the regular customers.

Kevin
I remember H and Ash and Tiny and Worzel(his knick name) and someone affectionatly named Fudge (he did have a talent for telling a few porkies - aka Fudging.

E.

Wasn't sure where to post this question, but here seemed as good a place as any.

With the recent visit of an AN22 to Manchester made me wonder has BHX ever seen one?

Only 1 as far as I know,22 December 1993 when ADB UR-64460 arrived from Kiev to operate a cargo flight to St.Petersburg with clothes for an Oldbury company.Landed at 4pm and left 0330 next morning.I was going to go and see it but it was raining heavily and didn`t go in the end.Have never seen any pictures of it at BHX,does anyone have any? Regards,Simon.

Many thanks for your reply, would have been dark on arrival and departure.

Somebody somewhere must have a shot of it, can't believe it snuck past the ever vigilant locals..

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock