HS2 (and hopefully in time, HS3) will transform the geography of the UK. I don't think this has yet been realised. For BHX and MAN they are fantastic opportunities to expand their catchment area and continue to develop their route offering.

It should feature as the main entrance and build around it IMO. Grand old building called Curzon Street then and to be called curzon Street when opened...perfect

Personal view only but still think it will suck passengers INTO London rather than the other way around !
Yes.It will be a high speed link from London to the provinces.How exactly does it increase the airport catchment area?
Surely high speed trains stop as little as possible or they are not high speed!
If i am living in Leicester, Derby, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham,Telford,Oxford etc could somebody explain high speed rail
makes BHX a better option.
The increased catchment area therefore is London.Not going to happen!
High speed rail is for the benefit of the City of Birmingham and the metropolitan area not BHX

Yes.It will be a high speed link from London to the provinces.How exactly does it increase the airport catchment area?
Surely high speed trains stop as little as possible or they are not high speed!
If i am living in Leicester, Derby, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham,Telford,Oxford etc could somebody explain high speed rail
makes BHX a better option.
The increased catchment area therefore is London.Not going to happen!
High speed rail is for the benefit of the City of Birmingham and the metropolitan area not BHX

I've said it before, but I personally don't feel like HS2 will do anything to directly benefit BHX. Every other location with a station on the HS2 network has an airport closer than Birmingham will be on HS2.

The benefit of HS2 to BHX, if any, will be in making the City of Birmingham a more attractive place to do business. If that happens then more people from more places will want to fly here.

At least the construction of the interchange station can be used as an excuse to build something airport related (like a new terminal) on or around the HS2 site.

Edit: I suppose another indirect benefit of HS2 will be that hopefully the local councils will want to make it as easy as possible to get to the HS2 Interchange Station, and hence indirectly, make it easier to get to Birmingham Airport. An "orbital" rail link from say Redditch-Solihull-Birmingham Airport-Sutton Coldfield/Tamworth would make it easier for people in those areas to access both HS2 (and then London or the North) and Birmingham Airport.

The Government is being urged to upgrade plans for a Midland high-speed rail interchange in a bid to create a gigantic new urban centre.

The Department for Transport has been formally asked today to alter its blueprints for the Birmingham Interchange HS2 station near Birmingham Airport by development body UK Central Solihull Urban Growth Company (UGC).

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...s-move-revamp-13449951#ICID=sharebar_twitterp

Good news indeed.

I rarely travel on our railways these days but people I know who commute daily have barely a good word to say about London Midland. Even as an infrequent user I have experienced delays and cancellations.

I wish the new operator the best of luck, £1 billion is a very healthy investment (y)

It seems as if Mr Street may have had a hand in this (y)

“Having the ability to use our local knowledge and understanding to shape what West Midlands Trains will deliver for passengers and businesses has been a real game changer.

“When it comes to our local train services we have not had this level of local influence and management before and it fits with the wider powers and responsibilities currently being transferred from Whitehall to the West Midlands.

“The result of this influence is that we will see West Midlands Trains deliver more of the services that passengers want including earlier and later weekday services and more trains on Sundays.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/plans-improve-birminghams-train-services-13456643

The WMCA has approved the £3.4 billion transport plan for the next decade, there are one or two schemes that may be of benefit to the airport.

With HS2 on the horizon lets hope that some of these may actually happen.

https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/transport-plan-for-the-next-decade-approved/

Birmingham

• Extending the Midland Metro system to Birmingham Curzon HS2 station in Eastside then through Digbeth and north Solihull to Birmingham Airport/HS2 Interchange
  • Improved road junction at congestion hot spots
  • New cycle routes
  • The Camp Hill Chords railway project to open up new suburban lines for areas such as Castle Vale and Castle Bromwich in the north and Moseley and Kings Heath in the south
Solihull

• Extending the Midland Metro tram system from Digbeth, through north Solihull to Birmingham Airport/HS2 Interchange
  • Improvements to M42 Junction 6 so it is ready for HS2 and the UK Central development
  • Improved transport connections between Blythe Valley Business Park, Solihull town centre and the airport/HS2 Interchange station
  • New cycle routes

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock