Flybe would be the obvious candidate to takeover both routes but if they did i can't see it happening until April unless they have some spare aircraft lying around for the winter.

Flybe would be the obvious candidate to takeover both routes but if they did i can't see it happening until April unless they have some spare aircraft lying around for the winter.
Aberdeen is one of the routes the Welsh Government is seeking to become a PSO route.

There can be intermediate stops on a PSO route but each sector must qualify as a PSO in its own right.

So, for example, if an airline operated CWL-ABZ as a PSO route and stopped en route at NCL, the CWL-NCL and NCL-ABZ sectors would not automatically become PSO routes. That would mean APD being charged on CWL-NCL and NCL-ABZ but not on CWL-ABZ, which could give rise to some interesting fare pricing anomalies.

Furthermore, although the PSO carrier on CWL-ABZ would have a four-year exclusivity that would not apply to the CWL-NCL and NCL-ABZ sectors. The WG could ask for CWL-NCL to become a PSO (although it's not currently on their list) but would have no jurisdiction on NCL-ABZ.

These are the EC's interpretive guidelines on the subject.

PSOs may in general apply to routes with one or more stopovers. However, the assessment of the adequacy of the PSO needs to be made for each flight segment individually. The PSO should not apply to flight segments which do not qualify for it. For example, if a PSO is imposed on the route A to C with a stopover in B, then the eligibility of the routes A–C, A–B and B–C should each be assessed individually. If, for example, the segment B–C would not qualify for a PSO on its own merits, then no PSO obligations should apply to air carriers carrying passengers and/or cargo on that segment. Any obligations on the route A–C should not hamper the free provision of air services on the segment B–C.

It looks like the Newcastle flights were a technical glitch as they are back onsale now. But Aberdeen isn't.

Aberdeen is one of the routes the Welsh Government is seeking to become a PSO route.
Aberdeen doesn't appear on the drop down anymore. If eastern were to go direct then no doubt it being a PSO would help if they secured the contract.

A poster on dried plum is saying flights to go under Flybe banner with eastern operating the flights. Cant see that happening as putting money into Flybe pockets. Eastern would be better off doing what they operate now and pocket money them selfs. Only thing is they would have to be more reliable than they are now. Aircrafts are not going to be reliable if they operate routes for some one else.

A poster on dried plum is saying flights to go under Flybe banner with eastern operating the flights. Cant see that happening as putting money into Flybe pockets. Eastern would be better off doing what they operate now and pocket money them selfs. Only thing is they would have to be more reliable than they are now. Aircrafts are not going to be reliable if they operate routes for some one else.
It already is under the Flybe banner as Eastern are a franchise partner of Flybe. It's possible it could become a Flybe route which Eastern then operate on a wet lease basis for Flybe.

Talk on gried plum Eastern basing aircrafts 5 days a week and doing NCL in the afternoon. I don't know if this info is correct. Perhaps a bit of digging Jerry.

Using the current aircraft in between VLY flights? Makes operational sense, but timings won't be great for business people, given that's their market. Eastern are a complete mess at the moment, unhappy staff on the ground and in the air, poor management, poor on time performance and an ageing and completely random mix of aircraft in the fleet.

Wouldn't a 3rd daily flight mean an extra crew? Are the crew Wales based or rotated through? If they are rotated then it does mean they can rotate them everyday rather than once a week.
I honestly don't think that for Eastern once daily would work though that would be more suited to Flybe who target leisure traffic as well.

It would, but one less crew required elsewhere.
Previous crews have been brought in but have lived locally in rented accommodation provided by the airline rather than hotels. Not sure if this applies to T3 crews through.

This is what i've found so far for Eastern starting with this week. Looks like Monday to Thursday is 1 daily in the morning with Friday still in the evening slot. No flights on Sundays. Wednesday 24th October no flights, same with Monday 29th, Tuesday 30th, Wednesday 31st and Thursday 1st November. Apart from Thursday 8th November the route will be 1 weekly on Fridays in November and December except for no flights over Xmas. From January it looks like it goes back to normal at 10 weekly.
If they are going to use the VLY aircraft then it could be possible that might happen during November and December. The only thing that i'd query is if the aircraft gets delayed or goes tech up in NCL then this could then cause problems for the VLY afternoon flight which does have a limited window to do VLY opening times.

I wonder if they bring crew over from BRS as there is a crew base there.
The Eastern operation for Airbus uses E145 jets. The CWL routes are Jetstreams.

I think you will find flight staff trained for all types of aircrafts in Eastern fleet.They have spare crew in BRS for cover.

Eastern has only E145 aircraft and crews and maintenance at BRS. Other aircraft like the E170 and very occasionally the J41 are here only for charters or last minute covers.

Isn't there a restriction over how many aircraft types cabin crew can be trained on? Given that T3 have 5 different types I'd be surprised if they're allowed to work all 5.

Only one type rating is allowed for flight deck crews.
Some aircraft are grouped together ie B767-757 but differences training would be required to fly both types.

I know Flybe cabin crew are trained on the e jet and Q400. I'd have thought that considering the bases that with eastern most of the J41 cabin crew would also be Saab trained.

Eastern Airways will operate a reduced schedule on their Cardiff to Newcastle route between now and the 21st December.
Monday to Thursday will be 1 daily flight CWL-NCL 10.25-11.50 NCL-CWL 14.00-15.25
On Fridays there will be CWL-NCL 10.25-11.50 NCL-CWL 13.15-14.40 CWL-NCL 18.25-19.50
On Sundays there will be NCL-CWL 16.05-17.30 inbound flight only
So it's looking like 1 J41 will overnight at CWL and will operate this pattern Monday to Thursday.
CWL-VLY-CWL-NCL NCL-CWL-VLY-CWL
On Fridays it looks like this.
CWL-VLY-CWL-NCL NCL-CWL-VLY-CWL-NCL
The schedule goes back to 10 weekly in January.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock