I am sure that is very true and we all wish him every success to do so.
I also hope he stays around to continue his good work.

My point exactly. It's the people that want variety over growth that are getting het up about this. Yes it's a shame to lose a big player like Easyjet but they have done nothing to grow at LBA. I would happily welcome them back with a serious commitment to LBA but not if they are only interested in 4/5 weekly winter only to one destination that is already well served by one of our dominant players. What if Monarch, Jet2 and Ryanair pulled out but Easyjet stayed just on GVA. Then we would be saying "forget variety" we want the pax numbers.

My point was that we were hoping to see growth from both Vueling and Easyjet to some destinations that Ryanair and Jet 2 do not operate to like Madrid Copenhagen Hamburg Frankfurt Brussels Bergamo Milan Malpensa which we are not likely to see now !
All these destinations are ones I would use from time to time.
So as you said disappointed but not the end of the world at all
I can pop across to Manchester to see a variety of aircraft and operators galore which I will do this week.

Last edited:
With the arrival of EasyJet 6 years ago I had hoped that they began a good relationship with LBA and gradually started routes to Copenhagen, Madrid and the others you mention a300boy but this hope seems to be evaporating now. EasyJet seem to attract a lot of business travellers. For instance I have flown EasyJet from Madrid to Edinburgh and I was amazed at the number of men in suits, laptops everywhere etc all heading for EDI. The same was true for MUC to EDI a few years ago. So having EasyJet do these routes to LBA would have been, I think, a success for EasyJet. Maybe in the future

My point was that we were hoping to see growth from both Vueling and Easyjet to some destinations that Ryanair and Jet 2 do not operate to like Madrid Copenhagen Hamburg Frankfurt Brussels Bergamo Milan Malpensa which we are not likely to see now !
All these destinations are one I wold use from time to time.
So as you said disappointed but not the end of the world at all
I can pop across to Manchester to see a variety of aircraft and operators galore which I will do this week.

Just because easyjet/Veulingng are not interested doesn't mean they will not happen again. With the exception of Frankfurt(Brown Air did operate briefly) they have been served by Ryanair/Jet2 in the past and can be again in the future.

Hope your right but little sign of it over the last few years
I will just have to join the M62 trafiic every morning going from the Leeds area making there way to Manchester Airport which annoys the hell out of me.
Even my brother in law and his family who live in Cookridge are off to Manchester for a flight to Larnaca and had no idea that it was possible to fly from Leeds.

Hope your right but little sign of it over the last few years
I will just have to join the M62 trafiic every morning going from the Leeds area making there way to Manchester Airport which annoys the hell out of me.
Even my brother in law and his family who live in Cookridge are off to Manchester for a flight to Larnaca and had no idea that it was possible to fly from Leeds.

Crikey, where on Earth has your brother in law been all these years? We have had flights to Larnaca for over 20 years! Even Inter European flew there - and Paphos and when did they vanish? You only have to look on the airport website to check out the full list of routes available, or on the individual carrier websites or the tour operator websites or ask any half decent travel agent. Frankly I find it amazing that someone living in Cookridge (or anywhere else for that matter) goes to MAN using the excuse that they 'didn't know' you could fly there from LBA!

My only possible explanation is that they seem to use Thomas Cook a lot so maybe they do not operate to Larnaca from here.
Like you Heather it bugs me.

I think history is playing a part here. Historically prices from Leeds have been substantially higher than elsewhere. That to some degree is still the same but more less so. So it definitely is a "poor excuse" saying they didn't know they could fly LBA - LCA. All airports do lose pax to others for one reason or another. There will be some that come East across the Pennines, albeit probably very few. The posts on BRS and CWL on F4A make good reading. They are always working out which airport is attracting pax from the other. But perhaps there is some missed marketing going on by LBA management if genuinely the local community, and wider, don't know what destinations are possible from LBA.

The posts on BRS and CWL on F4A make good reading. They are always working out which airport is attracting pax from the other.

The BRS-CWL situation is a smaller version of the MAN-LBA thing, with one airport predominantly pulling passengers from the other's patch and not too much in the other direction.

I think that people become accustomed to using an airport which may not be the nearest to their home and don't realise their local airport could accommodate their journeys if only they took the trouble to look. I'm sure it happens at many other airports, not just at LBA.

Yes and if you favour one tour company they will encourage you to fly from the airport their flights operate from.
I am on my brother in laws case for the future.

Last edited:
Well Thomas Cook are doing 7 routes from LBA next summer, but all on Monarch - who unless I am mistaken, operate to LCA from LBA - so it is quite likely that Thomas Cook do LCA from LBA, although I will have to check that one!

Crikey, where on Earth has your brother in law been all these years? We have had flights to Larnaca for over 20 years! Even Inter European flew there - and Paphos and when did they vanish? You only have to look on the airport website to check out the full list of routes available, or on the individual carrier websites or the tour operator websites or ask any half decent travel agent. Frankly I find it amazing that someone living in Cookridge (or anywhere else for that matter) goes to MAN using the excuse that they 'didn't know' you could fly there from LBA!

I believe the first flights to Larnaca were by Cyprus A/W A310 in 1990.

From a handler I was speaking to, apparently easyJet (especially on the last couple of services a few weeks ago) were having issues sending manifests etc through into the reservations and check-in systems. Quite a lot of the outbound departures from LBA were delayed due to every passenger having to be "no-rec'ed" onto the flight. Often the flight had a clear to board and there was still a queue at check-in because of this..

From a handler I was speaking to, apparently easyJet (especially on the last couple of services a few weeks ago) were having issues sending manifests etc through into the reservations and check-in systems. Quite a lot of the outbound departures from LBA were delayed due to every passenger having to be "no-rec'ed" onto the flight. Often the flight had a clear to board and there was still a queue at check-in because of this..

If the flight was making money they could have rectified this.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock