ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Air Traffic, ILS & Navigation Aids

Discussion in 'Leeds Bradford' started by The Pole, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Seasider

Seasider Premium Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    We flew out on 16th.

2. oldendays

oldendays Well-Known Member

Media:
    For at least the last two hours the LBA ATIS has been reporting CAVOK. I don't know if this is a technical problem or human error but there is definitely significant cloud below 5000 ft. out there. Visibility is excellent, mind.

3. White Heather

White Heather Platinum Member

Media:
    At today's Consultative Committee meeting, there was a presentation on the new Controlled Airspace proposals. I have yet to read the report provided, but what is being proposed is basically that the airspace allocated to LBA is englarged, which will then enable aircraft to make a continuous descent into LBA via published routings (saving fuel and reducing noise levels), whilst departing aircraft will be able to make a continuous climb to a higher level. The proposal also is that flight routings are spread out more, which will mean some areas having aircraft over-flying where it doesn't happen now, but - those aircraft are likely to fly a higher altitude so noise levels should be minimal. The proposals have already been subject to public comment and the final proposals are due to the CAA around November. The CAA have 16 weeks to review them, comment and (hopefully) sign them off and if all that goes well, the new procedures could start to be rolled out from the end of February 2019.

airforced, Aviador and oldendays like this.
  4. oldendays

Media:
    There appears to be some atmospheric influence at work this morning. Earlier on I could pick up Manchester Tower, Radar and Director on an Icom handheld with just a whip antenna. TX was faint but audible. On the flip side there is noticeable white noise on Leeds Tower, behind both ATC and aircraft TX. Radar doesn't seem to be as badly affected and Delivery is fine.

5. oldendays

Media:
    That should probably be RX rather than TX.

Aviador likes this.
  6. oldendays

Media:
    Serious question. Has the definition of CAVOK changed recently ? The LBA ATIS is currently broadcasting CAVOK yet there is definitely grey and white cloud out there and almost certainly below FL50.
    Thankyou.

Aviador likes this.
  7. a300boy

a300boy Moderator Staff Member

Not to my knowledge !

8. oldendays

Media:
    It's the second time recently I've noticed this CAVOK business. Either my cloud perception isn't what it was or the ceilometer is misbehaving.

Aviador likes this.
  9. Finger66

Finger66 Well-Known Member

10. radar

radar Member

5000’ possibly looks lower than you might expect, if you are unqualified in met observation.

11. oldendays

Media:
    Fair point, but I've seen lots of cloud over LBA over the decades and what I saw looked on the low side. We'll never know either way now !

Aviador likes this.
  12. BarnsleyHolidays

BarnsleyHolidays Active Member

Is there anybody in 'the industry' able to state the CAVOK rules? I presume that visibility of greater than 10 kilometres is an easy one to gauge as it's just over 6 miles, but how far can cloud below 5000 feet be away from the airfield before it is not considered to be significant in the assessment?

As Love Island would say #startthediscussion #stareintothesky

BH

Peter Barber and Aviador like this.
  13. Severn

Severn Well-Known Member

CAVOK
    CAVOK is included in an ATIS in place of visibility, present weather and cloud when the following conditions occur simultaneously at the time of observation:
    • visibility of 10km or more; and
    • no cloud below 5000ft or below the highest 25nm minimum sector altitude* (converted to height above the airport), whichever is the greater; and
    • no Cumulonimbus or Towering Cumulus (at any height); and
    • no significant weather phenomena (ie, no reportable weather in the ATIS, including weather phenomena ‘in the vicinity’).
    *Highest minimum sector altitude (MSA) is defined by ICAO Annex 3 as:

“The lowest altitude which may be used which will provide a minimum clearance of 300m (1000ft) above all objects located in the area contained within a sector of a circle of 46km (25nm) radius centred on a radio aid to navigation.”

Seasider, Finger66, Aviador and 3 others like this.