On another topic any news on the 33 ILS saga? Reports elsewhere earlier in the week said pilots requesting ILS approach on 33 were told it was not available as we know from other comments here. This was on days with mist and low cloud base.

It has been out of service on and off for a good while now. Will it ever be fixed?

There are two options for BHX to expand that are realistic and foreseeable in my opinion. First being expanding the what I'd call Flybe Terminal out further on the ramp, adding a few stands with a direct connection to a terminal, rather than the run across the ramp malarky that can cause issues.

Personally, I still think BHX's best chance at an ambitious expansion that is still realistic would be building a new pier on the space where the remote stands currently are.

To connect to the main terminal a bridge over taxiway victor (like at Gatwick) would be much more cost-effective rather than building on top of and therefore cutting off taxiway Tango.

If stand space was still required not connected to a pier, the section of grass area next to taxiway Tango housing the 'Low Brook' could be very easily converted to remote stands. The Brook could be very easily diverted to the left of Tango instead. Or flow underneath in a pipe.

All the calls for 'Build 20 new runways' or 'Build 5 new terminals' (Exaggerating obviously) I feel are unrealistic for an airport at BHX's current position in terms of annual Pax count and Runway 33-15 is no-where near at full capacity.

The obvious options for expansion are right on the airport's grounds, not miles to the south or east. But they seem oblivious

That's just my opinion though...

There are two options for BHX to expand that are realistic and foreseeable in my opinion. First being expanding the what I'd call Flybe Terminal out further on the ramp, adding a few stands with a direct connection to a terminal, rather than the run across the ramp malarky that can cause issues.

Personally, I still think BHX's best chance at an ambitious expansion that is still realistic would be building a new pier on the space where the remote stands currently are.

To connect to the main terminal a bridge over taxiway victor (like at Gatwick) would be much more cost-effective rather than building on top of and therefore cutting off taxiway Tango.

If stand space was still required not connected to a pier, the section of grass area next to taxiway Tango housing the 'Low Brook' could be very easily converted to remote stands. The Brook could be very easily diverted to the left of Tango instead. Or flow underneath in a pipe.

All the calls for 'Build 20 new runways' or 'Build 5 new terminals' (Exaggerating obviously) I feel are unrealistic for an airport at BHX's current position in terms of annual Pax count and Runway 33-15 is no-where near at full capacity.

The obvious options for expansion are right on the airport's grounds, not miles to the south or east. But they seem oblivious

That's just my opinion though...
The remote pier was part of the last master plan and is obvious. Expansion within the existing confines of the airport is pretty much all we have to offer. An innovative rail to air interchange at HS2 should be considered which allows check in with a mini rail link to the actual departure lounge. However.....

NEWS ALERT NEWS ALERT NEWS ALERT

Picture (from left to right): Deane Arnold, Terminal Operations Manager at Birmingham Airport; Tim Clarke, Birmingham Airport Chairman; Dame Caroline Spelman MP; Baroness Sugg CBE; Mick Connelly, OCS; Simon Richards, Acting Managing Director at Birmingham Airport; and Sasha Drake, Terminal Operations at Birmingham Airport.

The airport’s flagship investment is the new security entrance area, offering passengers a bright and airy environment before reaching the search area. It features a spacious liquid preparation area, a bank of 12 boarding card gates and dedicated channels for passengers with reduced mobility and express lane passes.

This physical investment, plus the new parallel tray loading equipment, will speed up the processing time for customers. The new security entrance area is part of an ongoing commitment by the Airport to improve the passenger experience for people living and working in the West Midlands.

Additionally, the Minister visited a new special assistance area created to improve the processing and waiting environment for passengers requiring assistance.

Aviation Minister Baroness Sugg said: “It is fantastic to see Birmingham Airport investing in the service it delivers for customers.

“Through the Government’s Aviation Strategy we are working with industry to achieve a safe, secure and sustainable aviation sector that meets the needs of consumers and of a global, outward-looking Britain. Delivering a world class customer experience at our airports is central to this.

“I particularly welcome their commitment to ensuring that passengers with disabilities or requiring assistance get the flying experience they deserve.”

Passengers have access to more efficient self-service bag drop kiosks to speed up the check-in process and for arriving passengers, five additional e-gates have been installed and new modern seating area provided for those waiting for their loved ones.

Recognising the importance of passenger drop off areas for drivers, the airport has created a free 30-minute drop off car park and modernised the Premium drop off car park adjacent to the terminal.

For the younger passenger, the ‘Sky Zone’ entertainment area has had a makeover and equipped with the latest fun, interactive and educational equipment.

Simon Richards, Acting Managing Director Birmingham Airport, said, “We are committed to continually improve our customer service and key to this is offering our passengers and employees modern, efficient and comfortable facilities.

“This significant investment has been made to cater for the growth in passengers that we have experienced over the last few years and in preparation for the fast approaching summer season.

“We are grateful that Baroness Sugg has found the time to visit the team and recognise the work that we are doing to help our customers.”

Other investment to improve the airside retail and catering offer have also been made as well as recruiting extra people in key customer touch points including security, terminal operations and customer service.

The Airport is planning to make further improvements throughout the year. These include an airside and landside bus replacement project, baggage carousel capacity enhancements and the phase one roll out of the new baggage x-ray system which will increase processing capabilities.

Right firstly who is this Acting MD dude ? and secondly im interested to know more about this airside/landside Bus replacement project ??

Baggage carousel capacity enhancements what does that mean ? More carousels or just a move around ?

Should hear something soon about some construction.

The Airport is planning to make further improvements throughout the year. These include an airside and landside bus replacement project, baggage carousel capacity enhancements and the phase one roll out of the new baggage x-ray system which will increase processing capabilities.

Was this the construction you were referring to Ian?

If rumours are to be believed the extra baggage carousel capacity should tie in with a departure lounge extension. There were drawings posted on Twitter a few months ago.

Simon Richards a 'dude'?

Simon Richards is a member of the board of the Airport Operators' Association (AOA) as well as being the acting managing director at Birmingham Airport. He was previously chief financial officer at Birmingham since July 2011, having joined from BAA Stansted Airport where he was Finance Director.

Simon came into the airport sector after nearly 20 years in the energy sector including roles as finance director of East Midlands Electricity and of E.ON UK’s Retail division as well as of the Electricity4Business start-up venture.

Simon holds a Masters Degree in Engineering and is a Chartered Accountant, having trained with PwC in their Energy, Water & Transport consultancy division.

Methinks not so much a 'dude' but already a big-hitter in the sphere of airport operations in the UK...

Simon Richards a 'dude'?

Simon Richards is a member of the board of the Airport Operators' Association (AOA) as well as being the acting managing director at Birmingham Airport. He was previously chief financial officer at Birmingham since July 2011, having joined from BAA Stansted Airport where he was Finance Director.

Simon came into the airport sector after nearly 20 years in the energy sector including roles as finance director of East Midlands Electricity and of E.ON UK’s Retail division as well as of the Electricity4Business start-up venture.

Simon holds a Masters Degree in Engineering and is a Chartered Accountant, having trained with PwC in their Energy, Water & Transport consultancy division.

Methinks not so much a 'dude' but already a big-hitter in the sphere of airport operations in the UK...

So hopefully Richard he will stop being our acting MD and become our MD with such great experience across different sectors ?

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock