ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Infrastructure, Construction & Developments

Discussion in 'Birmingham' started by Aviador, Jan 21, 2009.

1. jfy1999

jfy1999 Platinum Member

Media:
    Brum X and Ray Finkle like this.
  2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Easter weekend marks the opening of a new security entrance

Birmingham Airport has opened its new security entrance area as more than 130,000 passengers will travel through the terminal over the Easter weekend.

[​IMG]

Good Friday will be the busiest day over the long weekend, with an estimated 35,300 people expected to fly in or out of the airport to visit loved ones, explore a new city or relax in the sun.

Departing passengers taking off from Birmingham on Thursday 29th March were the first to benefit from the new security entrance, just one of the terminal projects made by the airport to improve the customer journey.

The first lucky passengers to pass through ‘phase one’ of the newly created security entrance were the Kumar family from Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, who flew off to Brisbane for a family wedding. They were treated to a lunch at the brand new Bottega prosecco bar within the departure lounge.

The new security area provides passengers with a bright and airy environment for customers as they prepare and enter the search area. A new route has been created through to the central search zone, with new flooring, lighting, preparation area and messaging to help customers prepare for security.

The next phase, opening later in April, includes additional boarding card gates and express lane machines in time for the peak season, when the airport will welcome millions of people through its doors.

Half a million people will be using Birmingham Airport over the fortnight Easter holiday period, with Tuesday 3rd April expected to be the busiest day over the two-weeks, with 36,200 passengers departing and arriving. The top destinations overall will be Dublin, Dubai, Amsterdam, Paris, Alicante, Malaga, Frankfurt, Palma , Barcelona and Tenerife.

https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk...marks-the-opening-of-a-new-security-entrance/

JF57 and Brum X like this.
  3. 58terminus

58terminus Well-Known Member

Easter fortnight? I am being seriously short changed with a long weekend:)

Ray Finkle likes this.
  4. Seasider

Seasider Premium Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    I've got the full 2 weeks off. :whistle: (and the next 2 weeks ..and the next...)

5. 58terminus

:depressed:

Dazjs likes this.
  6. Brum X

Brum X Premium Member Plus I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    And which airports are in your plans Seasider ?

Karl Cunningham likes this.
  7. Seasider

Seasider Premium Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    EMA definitely, possibly BHX (if I can cope with the traffic)

Brum X likes this.
  8. BHXsupporter

BHXsupporter Well-Known Member

Media:
    Go on, spoil yourself. Experience BHX (and go by train?!) :cautious:

Ray Finkle likes this.
  9. BHXsupporter

BHXsupporter Well-Known Member

Media:
    jfy1999 and Ray Finkle like this.
  10. Ray Finkle

Media:
    Whilst not totally off the table it seems that 'a new terminal will not be required in our lifetime'. Instead the focus will be developing the current site to handle up to 35mppa.

To me it seems as if a massive opportunity is being missed but I suppose if the money isn't there then it isn't there. It says that it's not clear whether the airport have decided to safeguard the land around the station. I really hope that they do.

It's going to be interesting to see what plans they have in store for the current site. I've seen proposals for a departure lounge extension which fills the gap between the pier, also a potential walkway parallel with the railway line has been discussed on here. They seem to be very short term solutions and much, much more will be needed.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...building-not-in-our-lifetime/10030406.article

jfy1999 likes this.
  11. Brum X

Media:
    Short sighted view as always from BHX (n)

12. Brum X

Media:
    Hilton Garden Inn
    Photo credit to PerpetualBrum on SSC (y)

[​IMG]

BHXsupporter, Ray Finkle and jfy1999 like this.
  13. Coathanger16

Coathanger16 Platinum Member

Who exactly is this Huw Rhys Lewis and the 'Urban Growth Company'? I've never heard of either of them before...

Very concerning that whoever he is believes that BHX can handle potentially up to 45mppa using the current terminal. Even adding a new pier to the west and east of the current terminal and filling in the gap between the current lounge and the pier wouldn't be able to handle more than 25mppa I would have thought - and even then it would be very crowded.

The article did state that the master plan would be published this summer. I'm getting the feeling this will be something more for us to worry about than look forward to...

14. Ianbutty

Ianbutty Platinum Member

He is the managing director of the company delivering UK Hub Central.

I dont agree with his analysis. I undertsnad that the current capacity of the airport is 18 mppa. An increase to 35 mpps will necessitate considerable expansion. I think the point he is making is that the expansion is not going to take place near the HS2 station, which holds true if you look at the company's most recent plans. Those plans also rule out a second runway, which to be honest is not needed unless we are going for 50 mppa. Gatwick 1 runway and 45 mppa. Stansted has just applied for planning permission to increase to 43 mppa on one runway.

The airport should focus on maximising the use of the site it has or be really radical and move to a brand new airport! :pics:

15. mullion

mullion Active Member

How many passengers can be handled with 1 runway is very difficult to quantify
    as it depends on aircraft size, mix etc as that is why Manchester needs 2 because there is such
    a mix varying from Dash 8 to A380 and a very big is the taxiway layout with lots of hi-speed
    exits plus of course the airspace, Manchester has a big problem on westerlies with Mobberley
    which has the big jink round it.

Jerry likes this.
  16. Ray Finkle

Media:
    I agree. Last year BHX saw 13 million passengers and we all know how the current set up coped, some of the stories were horrendous. Adding bits a pieces here and there may allow for a couple more million but I can see the misery continuing. Eventually a new terminal will be required along with major investment in the current buildings.

I guess there is the option of building to the south on what is now a car park or even a new terminal on the Elmdon site. It will be interesting to see what the master plan reveals when it's finally released.

17. jfy1999

jfy1999 Platinum Member

Media:
    As unfortunate as the loss of multiple airlines/routes has been, at least it's given the terminal infrastructure a bit of a breather :bag:

Hopefully all the current construction will be finished before the pax numbers grow back.

Ray Finkle likes this.
  18. Otisblue

Otisblue Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    https://solihullobserver.co.uk/news/plans-for-hs2-interchange-station-set-to-go-on-show-in-solihull/

This could well be worth a visit. From previous plans that were published the outline border ( blue/purple colour ) for the airport seems to have reduced somewhat. I had seen plans where Hatchford Brook golf course was within a proposed airport boundary, and also land south of the A45 was allocated for airport car parks. That seems to have gone in this proposal. If the airport boundary in this diagram is what we will end up with, there is hardly any room for expansion at all. It also seems that Solihull Council are the biggest driver behind this now, and I don't think they are or ever have been particularly supportive of airport expansion. The more I see on this, i do fear the airport is going to miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity. Hopefully the Master plan when published will answer those questions. I think in general, Andy Street has done a great job for the region since being elected,but he never ever mentions the airport when discussing transport which i find really strange. I did tweet him about it once, never got a reply, but never got blocked either, lol

Ray Finkle, 58terminus and JF57 like this.
  19. 58terminus

That's very perceptive of you Otisblue and honestly something i had not noticed. Cycle tracks and Bus lanes and the HS2 Bham bypass but never the airport?

Ray Finkle likes this.
  20. Otisblue

Otisblue Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, and trains and trams, which is all great and needed. He has the ear of the government and they obviously want him to do well, as he has secured funding for a number of projects. Ministers and even the PM are quite regular visitors to the Midlands to see the various projects and visit businesses. He keeps on about the Midlands being a global player and surely you want a decent airport to support that. I hope he is pressing for modernisation and expansion of the airport behind the scenes, but if he is, he is certainly not shouting about it via the press or on social media.

Ray Finkle likes this.