I think that is the current fuel farm
I can't expand the picture enough to read the terminal plan but I would say that the fuel farm is south of this presently so maybe it is a new passenger facility - crazy though that it's covered by the other insert!

The only other thing I can think of it being is the new drop off zone?

As for a new terminal, how would a dedicated domestic terminal sound? Its already by the remote stands Flybe use and would relieve some pressure off the main terminal.

A few random thoughts...

- it looks like a couple of new multi-stories will be needed to replace the capacity lost from the surface car parks being built over. The bare bit of land currently serving as a staff car park should be ideal. Could the airport have held back on developing it for that reason?

- I have a couple of concerns about putting a terminal extension at the north end of the site. It looks like they're planning to sacrifice a stand or two on the International Pier to put the link building in (doesn't matter really if they're adding a lot more stands). My concern is how this will link to the International Pier because the interior is much less spacious at the east end of the pier and it appears that all the people who are currently being bussed to the remote stands could be funnelled through this area.

- I just hope we don't get anything like the terminal extensions at Luton. It would be tragic if we could revamp the east end of the International Pier for the extra passenger footfall and then make the link building a windowless corridor clad in conservatory-roof plastic. What worries me is, if it's to be a LCC pier then I could see that being a very real possibility.

- regardless of the type of extension, passengers would face a long walk. Perhaps moving walkways are the solution although I have read some complaints about the ones at Manchester breaking down. Is this a frequent problem?

jfy1999 with regard to your post, yes the walkways at Man do often either break down or are switched off!! so, thus, it does turn out to be a very long walk to Terminal 3 there. Indeed their own signage says it is something like a 15 minute walk from Terminal 3 to the rail station....

So, if a new loco terminal is built where you suggest at BHX, would not a direct access from the rail station to this new terminal not prove feasible with perhaps a five - 10 minute walk at most? Perhaps a stand-alone terminal with check-in and the smaller border force passport control being moved from Terminal 2. There could also be direct access to this terminal from the car parks by airport buses.

Just a thought..

- I have a couple of concerns about putting a terminal extension at the north end of the site. It looks like they're planning to sacrifice a stand or two on the International Pier to put the link building in (doesn't matter really if they're adding a lot more stands). My concern is how this will link to the International Pier because the interior is much less spacious at the east end of the pier and it appears that all the people who are currently being bussed to the remote stands could be funnelled through this area.

It's rather difficult to see on the diagrams, but there are 2 points which may allay those concerns.

Firstly, I believe the yellow areas on the top left picture are new build. If so, it looks like they may be adding some room between the "old" end of the international pier and the departure lounge. If that's the case, it may be the access to the new pier comes straight out of the departure lounge.

You're other point about losing stands - on the very blue diagram on the bottom right, if anyone has better eyesight than me then by all means correct me, it looks like the plan is to build a new taxiway parallel to the runway linking taxiways Alpha and Sierra. If that happens, it looks like they may add some new stands to the end of the international pier.

Hopefully these plans will soon be published in full and a consultation will be opened allowing us to comment more on the plans.

There is a real possibility that the walkway will connect to a pier serving what are now the 70's and 80's remote stands.

Mmmm. (Gentle rub chin). Very interesting. In the public realm now if this was on display so cannot be long before we see something.

Looks to me like a new pier adjacent the railway....possible leading to the remote stands. Like everyone not sure about the blue thing to the right. Long term stands where the car parks are lap on the cards...I assume with additional terminal space.

We may find out soon.

I've looked at an enlarged image of the slide (still not great due to pixilation).

From what I can work out:

-The blue triangle is the current fuel fame and looks to remain as such, I've compared it to the zoomed out graphic on the left and there doesn't seem to be any new structure in that area, amongst the new stands.

-All of the new stands to the right of the terminal as you look at the image look to be remote.

-there is a new pier, which is joined to the yellow line perturbing from the terminal

-There looks to be terminal infill between the international pier on the euro hub. It covers a bout a stands worth into the apron so looks to add about 1/3 to the bulk of the terminal.

-there will also be new remotes to the left of the new pier.

Hope that helps some.

I've looked at an enlarged image of the slide (still not great due to pixilation).

From what I can work out:

-The blue triangle is the current fuel fame and looks to remain as such, I've compared it to the zoomed out graphic on the left and there doesn't seem to be any new structure in that area, amongst the new stands.

If, by 'blue triangle' you are referring to the blue area to the centre and far right of the image, this is incorrect. The fuel farm is currently located by the long stay car park, on an extended line from taxiway Echo. The following photo (pre runway extension) shows it's location -

03-View_BHX_2010.07.17-AD-02.jpg

Kevin

If the blue triangle being discussed is the area partly covered by the bottom drawing making it look like a golf flag, it is potentially more terminal space. The existing fuel farm is further east towards the runway and as has been said, the aim is for that to either move over to the Elmdon side or to push it back further into what is now the car park to make way for more apron area.

The yellow extending off picture to the left is a walkway connecting to a potential pier on the 70's and 80's, it may even extend further to the remote stands built adjacent to the fire station. From this drawing it fills in the void between pier and departure lounge which is the first time I've seen that.

It's also worth remembering that this is a short to medium term plan, as they say 'the best is yet to come', hopefully :)

It's also worth remembering that this is a short to medium term plan, as they say 'the best is yet to come', hopefully

Indeed - one of the slides says something like "expansion up to 18mppa". Before Brexit, Monarch, etc it looked like we'd hit that towards the end of this decade. Now it looks to be closer to 2025.

With this being the case, would you think that the current bussing lounges would be added to arrivals space?

Arrivals will be expanded but what the internal configuration will be I do not know.

Until the official master plan is released we won't know for certain, things can often change before settling on a final design.

A snippet from the UK Central Hub Framework Plan

In response to this pressure, BAL has provisionally indicated (approved by BAL board on 5 July 2017) that it requires a new terminal building, and passive provision has been allowed for this in growth proposals. A new terminal building and redevelopment of the current single (extended) runway would be able to accommodate up to 30 mppa.

http://www.ugcsolihull.uk/wp-conten...177b7=0&bcsi_scan_filename=Framework-Plan.pdf

In response to this pressure, BAL has provisionally indicated (approved by BAL board on 5 July 2017) that it requires a new terminal building, and passive provision has been allowed for this in growth proposals. A new terminal building and redevelopment of the current single (extended) runway would be able to accommodate up to 30 mppa.

http://www.ugcsolihull.uk/wp-conten...177b7=0&bcsi_scan_filename=Framework-Plan.pdf
I'm intrigued by 'redevelopment of the current single (extended) runway'. I can only think of fast turn offs. What other 'redevelopment' would be possible?

Kevin

Also interesting to note the changes to the road network they've suggested on page 90. Makes better use of the planned new junction on the M42.

Crikey oriona300 you've either fantastic eyesight or a great computer! I can't make out much other than a fuzzy blur . Are you referring to the site that was highlighted above on this thread that some thought was the fuel farm?

Pretty sure I can see it, looks like a replica of the newish international pier to me mind you my eyes are a bit clapped outthese days.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock