ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Infrastructure, Construction & Developments

Discussion in 'Bristol' started by TheLocalYokel, Jan 21, 2009.

1. TheLocalYokel

TheLocalYokel Administrator Staff Member

South Side

Is there another building in the process of construction on the South Side? When I walked up Winters Lane from Redhill this morning I looked across towards the Silver Zone car park from the south side of the top of Goblin Combe and saw what appeared to be the metal skeleton of a large building. When I got closer my view was obstructed by trees and I couldn't see the 'building' if that is what it is.

superking likes this.
  2. superking

superking Well-Known Member

Its not the new fire station is it as that's going over that side some where.

a300boy and TheLocalYokel like this.
  3. TheLocalYokel

I was looking from about half a mile away so didn't get a detailed look. The impression I got was that it was quite a big structure.

a300boy and Aviador like this.
  4. Severn

Severn Well-Known Member

That is indeed the new fire station being built. It will be on the South side of the airfield directly across the runway from the new far western stands 37-39.

5. superking

There was talk at one time about relocating the fuel farm as that would open up a fair amount of space. Do we know if this is still on the cards.If its still on the cards to be moved where will it be relocated and will it have under ground storage tanks.

a300boy and Aviador like this.
  6. TheLocalYokel

Thank you for that, Severn. I suppose the new location will bring a slight bonus in that the fire appliances will no longer need to cross the runway to access their training fire ground.

7. TheLocalYokel

South Side (again)

I had a wander along the A38 this afternoon and noticed the entrance road to South Side is being widened. I spoke to one of the workmen who told me they will be building a different entry route inside the complex. He also said something about a hire car building being built, but I would have thought that sounds a bit unlikely because it would mean travellers having to get to South Side before they could pick up their rental car. That said, the current arrangement on North Side has the (is it eight, or more than that?) car rental companies on two sites some way apart.

8. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    A lot of car hire companies provide free shuttle buses so I'd imagine that is what they'd do.

9. Foxlimayankee

Foxlimayankee Well-Known Member

Enterprise currently use the old Terminal car park so it could be them if they aren't going into the new Northside area.

10. TheLocalYokel

Not ideal at BRS. The front of the terminal is frequently jam-packed with buses including those servicing the car parks, some of which are long 'bendy buses'. At busy times in the summer there can be very long queues awaiting the next bus to the Silver Zone car park on the South Side (about a mile and a quarter away). Add car rental courtesy buses to this mix and there would be some unhappy bunnies waiting to be taken to the car rental station.

Jerry likes this.
  11. TheLocalYokel

It's not just Enterprise now is it? I thought one or two of the others had moved there as well.

12. Foxlimayankee

Foxlimayankee Well-Known Member

You're right, although i'm not sure which companies use it. It's a different setup to the others. In the main car park they are all in one building but have separate desks. In the enterprise building it's only the one office/desk space but serves a few companies. A codeshare for car hire you could say!
    It might be something contractual with the other companies that don't allow Car Hire companies to operate in the same vicinity.

TheLocalYokel likes this.
  13. kraktoa

kraktoa Active Member

Media:
    The multi storey car park will be opening soon.

As a nice gesture or maybe as trial guinea pigs all staff are welcome to use the car park fron 12-14 May when reporting for work. I guess it will be soon opened to the public after those dates.

14. Red Flyer

Red Flyer Member

I believe barring any unforeseen problems the MSCP will open to the public on May 14th

TheLocalYokel likes this.
  15. tpm

tpm Active Member

Didn't realise how big the car park would be, quite a structure, though it looks like it could use another storey or two.

16. superking

Its built so that they can add more floors to it in the future then. Has it been build to the height that the planning was granted for and how many floors is there.It seems like they been and built this very quickly as the question I asked was it built to the size of planning consent.

17. alphagolf

alphagolf Active Member

Media:
    superking, TheLocalYokel and Jerry like this.
  18. Jono577

Jono577 Member

OK I have checked the plans for the parking garage, It would seem they have increased the size of the footprint of garage A ot include a futcher small add on to one side, garage B is to follow at some time in the futcher (unknown) Garage A has planning for 5 floors but they only wanted 3 floors to start with, the last 2 floors to be added later as demand increases. The transport hub and interchange will be on level 5 of garage B as and when this is built.

19. superking

Thanks Jono 577 for the info and update of what they built or not built. Impressive to construct so quickly.

20. TheLocalYokel

If we cast our minds back a couple of years, the airport successfully applied to the local authority to have the extension to the Silver Zone car park brought forward to precede the construction of the MSCP. Originally the MSCP was to be built first but summer 2017 was anticipated to be extremely busy (which it was) and the airport argued that without the Silver Zone extension there would be serious parking congestion because the MSCP could not be built in time.

These Very Special Circumstances that the local authority accepted enabled prior extension of the Silver Zone into the Green Belt to go ahead but only for use between 1 May and 31 October in any year with the proviso that the MSCP must be constructed and all its 984 car parking spaces available for use before the Silver Zone extension could be used (between 1 May and 31 October) in subsequent years.

It followed that the MSCP had to be open in early May to permit the Silver Zone extension to be used as well.

superking and Jono577 like this.