To give the people at Flybe their due they are not slow in trying to mix and match with their routes at CWL in the light of experience.

Is Tegel actually down for a Dash next year or is this conjecture? The route that has surprised me is MXP. I didn't think that it would be as popular as it has turned out.

Croatia is becoming increasingly popular. I don't think that CWL has had a Dubrovnik, or any other Croatian flight (apart from one-offs or short season Newmarket Holidays-type flights), since the days before the Balkan Wars of the 1990s. Prior to that most regional airports in the UK saw regular summer flights to what was then Yugoslavia with the likes of JAT, Aviogenex and Inex-Adria.

The seat plan for TXL is down as a Dash. It makes sense kind of. Lower operating costs on a route that's probably not making money, the Dash has the range and should be comfortable enough for a 2 hour flight and the airport and Wales keeps it's connections to Berlin. So it may be a good compromise.
Working with Balkan holidays to do a weekly DBV would be a good idea. The Balkan product for Burgas seems popular enough.

I also wonder if a Tunisia charter once a week on behalf of Thomas Cook could also be a possibility?

I used the Flybe CDG-CWL flight on Thursday as part of the final leg of my journey back to the UK from the US. I was a little bit surprised that it we had to be bussed to a remote stand as my previous experience of Flybe at CDG was from a main gate in the terminal when i used the LCY flight last January and also remembered seeing their MAN and BHX flights use main gates and airbridges so i was kind of expecting the same for the CWL flight. The bus journey to the remote stand only took about 5 mins but we were kept on the bus for 15 mins outside the aircraft because although the aircraft had arrived on time at CDG it had a 15 mins taxi from one end of the airport to the other which made it 15 mins late on stand and the crew had to finish their break before they let us board. The Captain informed us after we had boarded that he had told the ground handlers to delay boarding by 15 mins but they obviously weren't listening! We had a 15 mins taxi to get to our runway for departure as well. The flight was good and we even had an overfly of both LHR and BRS on the way and the crew were friendly and provided good service and i got a complimentary snack and drink on the flight because i was Air France Premium Economy i choose a BLT sandwich and a can of diet coke, i find Flybe's food really nice. On landing one of the crew spoke Welsh at the end of the flight (i believe he said Thank you for flying with them in Welsh) which i thought was a nice touch. Once we parked on stand 3 it took about 30 mins to clear immigration and baggage. I did notice there was a lot of checked luggage on the flight. The flight was about 80% full with a few family groups coming back from Disneyland and a fair few passengers like me coming back from international connections.
I'll definitely look at using the flight again even though CDG isn't as easy to transit as AMS it does mean i get home a couple of hours earlier than i would coming back via AMS because of the lack of the 4th KLM rotation.
G-FBEM on remote stand at CDG.
flybe cdg.jpg

Last edited:
If the internal train that operated between sections at Terminal 2E essentially stayed airside then CDG would be just as good as AMS for transit pax and maybe better because of the train. Instead you have to go through a security barrier which can be hit and miss which isn't good if you only have a short connection time.

I've just been having a look at the schedule for the Dash during the winter and it looks like it's unchanged. The times for GLA, BHD, ORK and JER haven't been changed so it looks like Flybe will park the aircraft on the ground during the time it was previously scheduled to operate LCY.

Looks like flybe done their home work then. Probably with winter kicked in and so few pax wanting to fly where ever its cheaper to park up for a rotation than do a rotation and loose money.I would say good home work done by flybe.

It does seem a waste but BE could be planning on using it as a backup aircraft during the day. For CWL alone it protects the morning E95 flights if anything goes wrong with them, provided the crew are available. It does seem strange the JER and ORK are still at those poor timings in the evening. I wonder if BE are keeping a very close eye on the rail engineering works coming up and will actually continue to fill gaps when the train service is disrupted.

Looking at the times the Dash would be there to cover DUB in the morning and afternoon if anything went tech. In the end if it costs BE less to keep it on the ground and act as standby than have it flying 2 thirds empty to LCY and back then that probably makes more commercial sense. It would've been nice if they could've replaced with a new route but they wouldn't have had many options so late in the day. At least the aircraft is staying at CWL.

Flybe stats July 2017
Edinburgh 8916 +5%
Glasgow 2270 -44%
Guernsey 684
Jersey 1869 -5%
London City 2034
Paris CDG 5547 +13%
Berlin TXL 2058
Dusseldorf 561 +5%
Munich 1796 -15%
Cork 1685 +34%
Dublin 8855 -12%
Milan MXP 3263 -4%
Rome FCO 1884
Verona 1622 +84%
Faro 7757 +57% ( That includes Flybe, Ryanair and Thomson)

Flybe have added extra flights for the Six nations.
Wales v Scotland
Friday 2/2/18
EDI-CWL 13.15-14.35 EDI based Dash.
Saturday 3/2/18
EDI-CWL 07.00-08.20 CWL-EDI 08.45-10.05 EDI based Dash
GLA-CWL 08.00-09.25 CWL-GLA 09.50-11.15 GLA based Dash
Ireland v Wales
Friday 23/2/18
CWL-DUB 19.05-20.10 DUB-CWL 20.40-21.45 CWL based E jet. Looks like the JER flight has been cancelled and the Dash put on EDI instead.
Sunday 25/2/18
CWL-DUB 15.35-16.45 DUB-CWL 17.15-18.20 CWL based Dash
CWL-DUB 19.55-20.55 DUB-CWL 21.40-22.40 CWL based E jet
Wales v France
Friday 16th March
CWL-CDG 05.30-07.50 CDG-CWL 08.40-09.00 CWL based E jet and replaces morning EDI flight.
CWL-CDG 10.10-12.30 CDG-CWL 13.20-13.40 CWL based E jet and replaces MXP.
Saturday 17th March
CWL-CDG 08.55-11.15 CDG-CWL 12.05-12.25 CWL based E jet and replaces FCO.

Interestingly enough there are no extra Italian flights for the Italy game.

Last edited:
According to a poster on Wales Air Forum the airport has released it's winter 17/18 timetable and BHD is twice daily with departures at 07.00 and 18.00 GLA stays at 11.15 and ORK/JER have been moved to 14.00/15.00 yet at the moment the BE website doesn't reflect this. One to keep an eye on.

Flybe has changed winter 17/18 a bit. The morning Dublin flight will now be done by the Dash with the afternoon one on an Ejet while BHD has gone 2 daily Monday, Wednesday and Friday and the morning flight is operated by an Ejet and the evening by the Dash. GLA moves forward by 30 mins in the morning to 10.30 and JER and ORK in the week will be in the afternoon 15.00 for JER and 14.40 for ORK all on a Dash. The BHD flights are at 07.00 and 18.00

Just a thought but I wonder if BE have moved the morning DUB flight over to a Dash to bring down their costs? I'd imagine BHD fees for an Ejet would be considerably lower than DUB.

news_icon.png

News
2017-09-20-11-42-33-flybe-announces-more-flights-for-the-winter-from-cardiff-863-1-image1.png

20 SEPTEMBER
Flybe announces more flights for the winter from Cardiff

Flybe, Europe’s largest regional airline, has added more flights to its 2017/18 Winter schedule to meet customer demand from Cardiff, increasing flights to George Best Belfast City Airport to twice daily for weekday travel with effect from 29th October 2017.

The new flights have been conveniently timed to allow for convenient day return travel, ideal for either business or leisure travel.

CARDIFF – BELFAST CITY New 2017/18 Winter schedule

29th October 2017 – 24th March 2018

Cardiff (CWL) to Belfast City (BHD) increased to double daily Mon-Fri

Dep CWL 0700 Arr BHD 0805 Dep BHD 0835 Arr CWL 0940

Dep CWL 1800 Arr BHD 1910 Dep BHD 1935 Arr CWL 2045

Sat
Dep CWL 0700 Arr BHD 0805 Dep BHD 0835 Arr CWL 0940

Sun
Dep CWL 1300 Arr BHD 1405 Dep BHD 1435 Arr CWL 1540

One way fares available for booking now at www.flybe.com from £29.99 including taxes and charges

Rugby fans will also be pleased to hear that extra services have also been added to Edinburgh, Dublin, Glasgow and Paris Charles de Gaulle over the period of the Six Nations tournament next year for some of the key matches being played between 3rd February and 17th March.

In total, Flybe now offers a total of 14 routes from Cardiff as part of its extensive 2017/18 Winter schedule with a total choice of up to 75 flights a week. Full details available at www.flybe.com.

Posted on Wales Air Forum, apparently Flybe and the airport are going to be out and about businesses in Swansea and Llanelli tommorrow promoting the routes out of CWL and offering free tickets for Dublin Berlin and Glasgow.
Hopefully this will be a regular thing and they'll in future do promos in the Rhonnda valleys and Gwent as well.

I've been having a look at Skyscanner and a few 1 stop options come up from VLY via CWL on Flybe flights. DUB EDI BHD FCO ORK and GLA all come up though some do have long layover time's a few of which are overnights but GLA for instance was only 4 hours travelling each way. Even if only a few people use these options a day then to a flight like VLY that would be a real boost.

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock