Thomas Cook are only just emerging from near collapse a few years ago.
I would think they will play safe and stick to Manchester but lets hope they come good for us.

I would think they will play safe and stick to Manchester but lets hope they come good for us.
They do have a market at LBA they used just used Monarchs flights. As they are a stronger airline now they might look at LBA and think a 1 aircraft base could be an option even a seasonal one.

Too true. There really aren't many financially sound airlines about, or rather, I mean as financially sound as we'd like them to be.

If Monarch were american they would have filled for chapter 11 and been up and running again in a month or two.

Thomas Cook airways has been on sale for quite a while without a willing buyer, the pilots are very unhappy, internal emails say this fridays strike still on, although Travel Weekly states its been suspended.
Not a very happy set of circumstances, especially for the travel company, when their workhorse Monarch now no longer operating and Jet2 breathing down their neck as the number two u.k. holiday company and unlikely to give them a helping hand.

So let's consider whether we may get a TCX based plane, even if it is not one of their own. The "for" argument tells us that TCX were already selling seats on MON and they are introducing the A321 W leg on AYT, so we'll on their way with sales if they change to an LBA based a/c to fly AYT. The "against" says they will really wait to see how much slack Jet2 pick up which I think will be massive and that will make TCX very wary. However if they once again ship LBA booked pax back to MAN then that could just prove one time too many for them and their future at LBA. So I think they have to find an LBA based a/c from somewhere to undertake their program. If they don't then Jet2 will laugh even quicker to the bank

Looking at the Leeds/Bradford Airport press release issued on May 2nd 2017 Thomas Cook Holidays have been taking bookings on 7x of Monarch's 10x routes, offering up to 13x weekly departures.

Faro = Tuesdays and Saturdays
Tenerife = Tuesdays and Fridays
Naples = Fridays
Larnaca = Wednesdays and Saturdays
Alicante = Thursdays and Sundays
Palma = Tuesdays and Saturdays
Mahon= Mondays and Fridays

Whilst Thomson Holidays have been taking bookings on 1x of Monarch's 10x Leeds routes: Due to it connecting with its cruise programme.

Malaga = Sundays

Now all that to me could easily be fit into a 1x aircraft based operation possibly using a 3rd party airline like Avion Express or Smart Lynx.

I can see definitely Jet2 adding extra flights or capacity to Barcelona & Dalaman seen as they will have them routes to themselves once again. I'm sure the airport can get Jet2 along with Ryanair and possibly Thomson Holidays to soak up the extra slack out to the ever popular Malaga, Alicante, Palma, Faro & Tenerife

What is more interesting is this quote from Thomas Cook's website regards its customers whom were booked onto Monarch flights this winter and into next summer.

Source: https://www.thomascook.com/airlines/monarch/
If you are going on a Thomas Cook holiday in summer 2018 and flying with Monarch Airlines, we will contact you to offer alternative flights once we have re-planned our flight schedule to accommodate these extra seats on our own service.

Last edited:
I can see Jet2 adding extra flights to Barcelona & Dalaman seen as they will have the route to themselves once again plus along with Ryanair and possibly Thomson Holidays offer extra capacity to Malaga, Alicante, Palma, Faro, Tenerife & Naples.
At CWL TCX have 15 flights a week on the based A320 with Bourgas operated overnight on a Saturday. They also operate Dalaman, Rhodes, Zante, Lanzarote and Reus so any of them could be added on to fill out the aircraft's schedule at LBA if they so desired.

I just hope one of them picks up.Naples.

Well Jet2 already were in direct competition on Leeds-Naples route operating 1x weekly Saturday service against Monarch's 2x weekly Monday & Friday service.
Good news is that Jet2 had already confirmed with the mass release of its summer 2018 programme that it was to increase frequency on the Leeds-Naples route 2x weekly operating Wednesday & Sundays.

Lets juts hope that Thomas Cook maintain some sort of presence in whatever form. Taking allocations on Jet2 would seem to the most sensible as it would not involve them having to source a separate plane, plus Jet2 would give them a big choice of options in terms of destinations and frequencies.

Must be a leased aircraft from Smart lynx/Avion express. One wonders if they'll keep the AYT rotation on a W pattern.

TUI - i don't see them basing another aircraft so would imagine 73 to 75.

Great news day.

Just been confirmed on local BBC Look North 13:30 News that Jet2, Ryanair and TUI are all adding 1,000's of extra seat capacity from LBA over the winter and next summer to replace that lost after the collapse of Monarch Airlines.
David Laws then went on to also confirmed that Thomas Cook Airlines are to base an aircraft at LBA again with flights now on sale

More information to be released on the 18:30 news update

Upload Media

Upgrade Your Account

Subscribe to help support your favourite forum and in return we'll remove all our advertisements. Your contribution will help to pay for things like site maintenance, domain name renewals and annual server charges.

Forums4aiports
Subscribe

NEW - Profile Posts

Jennyjet, An upgrade to my law degree, have now been upgraded to a Masters in Laws from Birmingham University to add to my Doctor of Jurisprudence as awarded by Harvard Law School. I am somewhat humbled, imposter syndrome in play here!
9 trips in 9 days done 70 miles walked and over 23-00 photos taken with a large number taken at 20mph or above. Heavy rain on 1 day only
5 trips done and 45 miles walked,. Also the RAF has had 4 F35B Lightning follow me yesterday and today....
My plans got altered slightly as one of the minibus companies had to cancel 3 trips and refunded me but will be getting nice discount when I rebook them.
wondering why on my "holidays" I choose to get up 2 hours earlier than when going to work. 6 trips in 6 days soon coming up with 3 more days to sort out
All ready for my holiday to Iceland on Sunday! Flying with TUI for the first time.

Trending Hashtags

Advertisement

Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock