ADVERTISEMENT

Welcome back to the site Guest !

Infrastructure, Construction & Developments

Discussion in 'Leeds Bradford' started by Aviador, Jan 16, 2009.

In your opinion what new on-site development would best serve LBA?

1. Runway extension

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. Full length parallel taxiway

10 vote(s)
    18.9%
  3. New terminal

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. B737

B737 Active Member

The new free seating area was opened up to customers yesterday. It occupies the area where the old ‘leisure’ lounge was in the old Premier lounge. The old ‘business’ lounge area is still hidden behind hoardings until the Starbucks opens up. The new seating area is full of the usual wide pillars which blight the rest of terminal and has space for approx 50-75 seats, far fewer than the original 500 quoted. Work outside on the terminal front is nearing completion. The new drop off area and camera booth for ‘meet and great’ parking customers is now open. The old Arrow taxi building has been removed and a new taxi office has opened just to the left of the terminal front. Final groundsworks/drainage works are taken place before the final tarmacing can be done. Although this work has tidied up the old terminal front with its numerous raised curbs, it is just effectively a car park. Im hoping they put in some large planters to add a touch of greenery to the area. I’ve also heard a rumour that there will be two covered walkways going in, one from the bus stop lane to the Hall A entrance and one from the fancy Yorkshire Premier car park to the Jet 2 Hall B entrance. The double red lines have yet to be painted on the roads around the airport. There are other interesting plans in the pipeline including the terminal extension which I briefly saw a plan of a few months ago, but until these things are released as public knowledge I feel uncomfortable posting about them here. Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    paully, Mick_LUFC, mode1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Aviador

Aviador Administrator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    Thank you for the update. It's much appreciated.

3. White Heather

White Heather Platinum Member

Media:
    Further to David Laws' recent interview on BBC Radio York in which he mentioned a forthcoming terminal extension, I took the opportunity today to ask for an update on this.

The position is that LBA have set up what amounts to a Project Board to discuss and agree (with all stakeholders) what size the extension needs to be and what facilities it needs to have to provide for the current and the future. Architects will become involved shortly and obviously the design will then be drawn up, with submission to planning late this year and construction likely in Spring 2019.

It was confirmed that this extension would be at the Eastern end of the current terminal and will provide brand new passport control facilities and new baggage re-claim carousels etc. on one level with additional departure gates above. It will result in no further crossing over of departing and arriving passengers within the terminal and will resolve many of the issues that currently attract complaints and cause problems (ie: long walks, steps, escalators not working, lack of space, going up just to come back down, lack of toilet facilities for arriving pax etc.).

The plan at present is to be in a position to submit for planning approval later this year with a view to commencing construction hopefully in the Spring of 2019.

In case anyone was wondering, this extension will replace the previously approved infill extension in front of the terminal which is now viewed as not fit for purpose, because it provides more space but does not resolve the issues mentioned above. That plan will no longer go ahead, hence the current re-surfacing work outside the terminal and the confirmation today that in the autumn of this year, a covered walkway will at last be installed from the terminal front down to the pick up/drop off zone in order to provide some weather protection for those choosing to use that facility.

airforced, markietg, a300boy and 8 others like this.
  4. mode1

mode1 Active Member

Media:
    So the famous 1968 curved canopy is reprieved.
    Since the recent works to the terminal frontage and how it's lit at night I feel it would be a shame to lose it.
    The question that springs to mind about the mentioned new proposal is if there are to be further gates to be included on the first floor extension, will they concider further airbridges?

a300boy likes this.
  5. White Heather

Media:
    Bearing in mind the cost of an airbridge, the complications arising from maintaining them and the reluctance of some airlines to use them, I doubt it somehow. It would be nice if they did, but a major surprise.

6. rmac

rmac Active Member

Fair enough, however would airlines like Qatar, Turkish, not expect airbridges if they ever came to LBA. These are the type of airlines LBA is needing.

Aviador likes this.
  7. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:
    On the basis of what the new company has already said, it would indicate there is a move away from aiming the business at only low cost airlines. The new management have said they wish to target business flights and middle eastern routes. To do this they will need to make changes to the terminal to make it more attractive to the kind of airlines they need to attract. One of the things they can do to be more attractive to airlines is to provide more air bridge facilities. This doesn't necessarily mean Leeds needs to have air bridges feeding every stand but a small number of additional air bridges will prove to be a huge selling point to potential new airlines.

Carl0927, rmac, mode1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. lbaspotter

lbaspotter Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Has anything been said regards expansion on the Southside?

Specifically Multiflight's future plans in which he (David Laws) was quoted in an aviation magazine earlier this year?

9. mode1

mode1 Active Member

Media:
    Also could the airport not go down the route like Cardiff Wales airport has done and buy second hand airbridges? They have done that to replace their older airbridges. I can see there is a risk of buy used airbridges but they must have been fully serviced and made good before they took delivery of them.

10. oldendays

oldendays Well-Known Member

Media:
    If LBA does purchase additional bridges I strongly hope they come with a comprehensive maintenance package. The bridge on stand 7 is fine but stand 8...the APIS is now decommissioned and removed so it's marshaller-guidance only and the positioning system of wheels and sensors is increasingly unreliable, thus frequently rendering the facility unusable.

Aviador likes this.
  11. Aviador

Media:
    Albums:
    The air bridges on stand 7 and 8 are probably over 20 years old. They have moving parts so it's inevitable replacements will be required eventually.

Like so many things in this country we struggle to do basic things that other countries seem to be able to do with no problem.

Carl0927 and Jerry like this.
  12. LBA787

LBA787 Active Member

If you think about it there is only one airline at LBA who don’t like airbridges and that’s Ryanair.

Of the others;

Jet2 YES
    Tui YES
    Thomas Cook Yes
    BA Yes
    KLM Yes

Aer Lingus No but would if it were ever upgraded to mainline then Yes.

Likewise any potential new operators using the right equipment LH, IB, SN, TK, AF, EK, QR, PK etc would definitely use them.

I very much hope this is the first stage in a future proofing program for LBA.

:wtf:

oldendays, a300boy, airforced and 2 others like this.
  13. oldendays

Media:
    I would like to hope that this eastward terminal extension is merely phase 1 of significant improvements. Ideally, phase 2 would consist of continuing to build westward in front of the current curved building. Phase 3 would be to demolish the current building (sorry !), control tower and all the tents and metal prefabs and concrete over to provide more apron space. Needless to say a new control tower would have to be provided. It would be a sad day to lose two very distinctive British airport buildings but that is one of the prices of progress. And this assumes they aren't listed.

Aviador likes this.
  14. mode1

mode1 Active Member

Media:
    Think White Heather has said that a terminal frontage extension has been scrapped. Think any western extension would be the demolition of the current fire section. And re- siting of that. The space then available from there would allow the terminal to advance that way.

oldendays likes this.
  15. oldendays

Media:
    I would certainly relocate the Fire Station southside. The existing terminal and all its add-ons has, in my opinion, had its day and needs removing. Make its footprint into extra apron space and build to the north of the site, to link with the proposed eastward building. Hope that makes sense.

As for a replacement Control Tower, this is something that the Head of ATC would obviously be tasked with. Perhaps southside facing north would be a possibility.

16. rmac

rmac Active Member

I too would re-locate the Fire Station and also remove the existing buildings now occupying part of the apron - I think used for a baggage carousel- so maybe the planned eastern extension will allow this to happen. Would be good to have the whole apron back in use.

oldendays likes this.
  17. White Heather

Media:
    In addition to the new Eastern extension, it is still the intention to switch to a single check in, hall, rather than Hall A and B as we have now, and the single check in will be at the western end of the terminal. As I have previously reported, that will mean major reconfiguration of that end of the terminal which will be feasible only if the current fire station is relocated, and when international arrivals is relocated to the new terminal extension. So I imagine phase 1 is the eastern extension and phase two, the relocation of the fire station and then internal reconfiguration of all that end in order to provide a single, large check in area, with direct access from there up to duty free and the departure lounges above. This will obviously entail the provision of a new baggage screening area too, so it is fair to say that the works carried out at that end will be far from minor. I cannot see a new tower any time soon. The current tower can see all areas of the airfield unobstructed and remember they have just spent a small fortune a couple of years ago installing all the latest equipment into it.

mode1, oldendays and markietg like this.
  18. markietg

markietg Active Member

Talking of expansion isn’t it about time the airport had a proper full service on site hotel. I work in the hotel business for Accor Hotels( Sofitel, Novotel, Mercure, Ibis) and we often accommodate air crews in Leeds at my hotel (Novotel) because there is nowhere suitable near the airport. Air crews will not stay in Travelodge/Premier Inns etc. They need 24hour room service, on site restaurant etc. Having a quick look on google maps virtually all airports the size of LBA and smaller have full service hotels on site.
    NCL... Hilton Double Tree and Britannia
    EMA...Radisson Blu, Jury’s, Holiday Inn
    NWI....Holiday Inn
    BRS...Hampton by Hilton
    EXT...Hampton by Hilton
    LPL...Hampton by Hilton
    HUY...Hampton by Hilton
    DSA...Ramada Encore
    CWL...Holiday Inn
    All of the above are walking distance to the terminal or offer comp shuttle buses.

19. Jerry

Jerry Moderator Staff Member I've upgraded to support F4A!

Media:
    Albums:
    At CWL I'm pretty sure that the KLM crews don't use the Holiday Inn. I think they use the Copthorne at Culverhouse Cross about a 15 minute drive away not sure about Qatar crews though I'd have thought they'd be the same. Having a hotel within walking distance of the terminal is probably more of a plus for business passengers rather than crew especially if it's a full service one.

markietg likes this.
  20. oldendays

Media:
    The Clayton (previously Bewley's and Holiday Inn Garden Court) at Manchester Airport is very smart. We already have a Clayton in Leeds centre so perhaps a Marriott or Radisson ?

markietg likes this.